WILL TOMMY REES BE THE NEXT PLAY-CALLING OC?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. WILL TOMMY REES BE THE NEXT PLAY-CALLING OC?

• YES- I like this choice
    • YES- I don't like this choice
    • NO- I'm Glad ND chose differently
    • NO- ND should give Rees a shot

I voted No and glad they chose differently but I actually want them to choose a home run OC. If they are going to choose a questionable OC hire then hell, give Rees a chance.

I want a new offensive line coach. The combo of OC/OL Coach is rare. So I voted yes because I'd rather Quinn coach TE's and Rees Call Plays than Quinn be retained as an OL coach.

But my Home-Run is a CO-OC/OL coach from the Sooners, or Andy Heck both of which are just my ideal, unlikely to happen.

I know a lot of folks here are not happy with Quinn, but I am seriously wondering why Kelly isn't giving him a shot (just based on what they did together in Cincy when Quinn was the OC).

I am really not a fan of the idea of having a guy's first real coaching gig be at ND....but we all talked about how Rees was going to be a coach one day, and he may end up being the next great offensive mind.

I guess I am down for seeing what Rees can do...after all, it is pretty clear that Kelly still runs the offense.

People on this forum are always talking about how elite ND should be, then I see guys saying a kid whose never been an OC should lead our offense? That's crazy!!!! Go to a MAC school and learn the profession if you have to, but Notre Dame shouldn't be the place where an offensive coordinator cuts his teeth. The schedule is too demanding and, if we're being totally honest, so are the fans. Besides, what has he done as the QBs coach that even remotely suggests he's ready for this?

At this point I don't care. Ten years I know the ceiling, nothings going to move the needle for me with this hire whoever it is.

No offense, but you have made your position quite obvious within your last 50 threads comparing ND to other schools and bashing Kelly. I don’t think anyone here supports him or his decisions 100%, but he is who we have and that doesn’t appear to be changing soon.

My mind is telling me “we are ND” so we should get the best possible OC out there.

But my heart is saying Tommy is an ND guy, a fighter and very knowledgeable about the game.

I know when it comes to betting on sports they say never follow your heart. But I am....I wouldn’t mind seeing what Tom could do.

No offense, but you have made your position quite obvious within your last 50 threads comparing ND to other schools and bashing Kelly. I don’t think anyone here supports him or his decisions 100%, but he is who we have and that doesn’t appear to be changing soon.

What a ****** argument. “Yeah it’s not perfect but what are we going to do about it?!” If that’s you’re argument why even have message boards or sports radio or any of this?

Yes, ideally ND would bring in a top established OC. However, I'm guessing that might be short lived as those coaches often move up to take HC jobs.

I don't think anyone on this board knows better than Kelly if Rees is ready for the promotion. Rees does seem to have the "it" factor and the knowledge needed for the job. I have been impressed by Rees and Taylor and I hope Kelly makes the right decision and the team keeps both of those coaches on the staff one way or another.

It’s just too hard to know.

Rees as ND QB leaves a bad taste in all of our mouths. He won a lot of games but didn’t look good in doing that.

But remember he WAS better than the alternatives.

Rees as ND OC? Not fair to judge him on his personal QB output.

I watch the Dallas Cowboys experiment with Kellen Moore, former backup QB turned QB coach turned OC. A very mixed bag of results, in part due to a general manager/owner who is way too involved in operational decisions.

I don’t know what the Cowboys have in Moore but believe he offers a lot compared to the last guy.

Rees May be the same. Maybe ND can do better, but I will be okay if they go with Rees. The biggest issue to me is that they have a two year window starting next season in which they could win the whole enchilada. After that I think the schedule and talent level become less favorable.

It’s just too hard to know.

Rees as ND QB leaves a bad taste in all of our mouths. He won a lot of games but didn’t look good in doing that.

But remember he WAS better than the alternatives.

Rees as ND OC? Not fair to judge him on his personal QB output.

I watch the Dallas Cowboys experiment with Kellen Moore, former backup QB turned QB coach turned OC. A very mixed bag of results, in part due to a general manager/owner who is way too involved in operational decisions.

I don’t know what the Cowboys have in Moore but believe he offers a lot compared to the last guy.

Rees May be the same. Maybe ND can do better, but I will be okay if they go with Rees. The biggest issue to me is that they have a two year window starting next season in which they could win the whole enchilada. After that I think the schedule and talent level become less favorable.

Charlie said Rees was one of the smartest QBs he ever coached. That being said, he used his athletic abilities to the max but was never going to wow you with his arm or foot speed. But that football brain may land him the job.

Any rumors about who we are targeting? OC coordinators are thrill seeking job hunters. It scares me to think we are dumping one not because he was a hot prospect somewhere else. Now we are gonna turn to the next job hunting thrill seeker. We are not a top a perennial 10 program that has the coaching tree and history of success to attract and keep the best or the middle run guy. And then there BKs personality....

• 2 weeks later...

I really liked how Rees stuck to the run game.

I'll give him some props..

Also give props to kelly for not stepping in when things werent going perfectly

And to the fact Kelly said they weren't going to run it like 50 times like the did in '89 and THEY DID!

IMO shows a little evolution here as a control freak to more of a CEO type.