Chip Long exploring other opportunities.

I don’t like it at all. What’s he done to deserve it? It’s not like Book’s play under his mentorship has been all that great. Though part of me has to laugh bc it’s just like his playing days of falling azz backwards into the starting QB role bc someone more talented f’d up.

Remember, this is your boy making these hires ;)

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think some of you guys blasting Rees need to take a step back. I get what you're saying in that he will be BK's guy, but he is also a guy who has gotten serious consideration for P5 OC duties. He is also a guy the NFL really likes. He could be the next big thing - he certainly has the understanding and knowledge of the game to be a great OC.

I think some of you guys blasting Rees need to take a step back. I get what you're saying in that he will be BK's guy, but he is also a guy who has gotten serious consideration for P5 OC duties. He is also a guy the NFL really likes. He could be the next big thing - he certainly has the understanding and knowledge of the game to be a great OC.

Can you expand on your statements?

1) He is also a guy who has gotten serious consideration for P5 OC duties.

Other than not getting hired by Northwestern, what other "serious consideration" has he actually gotten? Should ND be satisfied with someone who Northwestern passed on?

2) He is also a guy the NFL really likes.

If the NFL likes him so much, why is he not already there? Exactly who in the NFL wants him?

Northwestern and who else? Heck he did even get the NW job.

I've seen this thrown around and I like it. Rees OC/QB coach, Taylor co-OC/RB coach, Quinn TE coach, and a new OL coach.

the pin and pull running game was not working. I'd expect them to go back to traditional zone blocking(I know pin and pull is zone too, but it was failing)

This solution you have above makes sense. Don't have to fire Quinn. I'm guessing Long got told about changes coming and was not thrilled.

Kelly has also said to his assistant coaches before if you make a lateral move you better get the job.

Can you expand on your statements?

1) He is also a guy who has gotten serious consideration for P5 OC duties.

Other than not getting hired by Northwestern, what other "serious consideration" has he actually gotten? Should ND be satisfied with someone who Northwestern passed on?

2) He is also a guy the NFL really likes.

If the NFL likes him so much, why is he not already there? Exactly who in the NFL wants him?

Just information from multiple reliable posters on other sites. I don’t have any concrete knowledge, so maybe that was unfair of me to write that. But somebody who works at ND says ND loves him and that Noethwestern didn’t pass but he withdrew - potentially because he knew his role at ND would expand or maybe he just didn’t feel that was the right opportunity. Somebody who worked in the NFL says that he is on multiple NFL teams’ radars as a potential star.

Take that for what it’s worth. Again, probably unfair of me to post that. My feelings are that I like when BK goes outside his circle of trust, so Rees isn’t my first choice. But I have a ton of confidence in him as someone with a great football mind and a vast knowledge/understanding of the game. And ND’s most important 2021 recruit (Tyler Buchner) absolutely loves him and Rees is a big reason he committed.

the pin and pull running game was not working. I'd expect them to go back to traditional zone blocking(I know pin and pull is zone too, but it was failing)

This solution you have above makes sense. Don't have to fire Quinn. I'm guessing Long got told about changes coming and was not thrilled.

Kelly has also said to his assistant coaches before if you make a lateral move you better get the job.

Does the “co” offensive coordinator thing work? Just curious. Just seems like you can get two different philosophies.

This.

Ok so Long gone.

This is Notre Dame.

There aren't experienced OCs out there that would die to coach in the house that Rock built?

Maybe with an eye on Kelly's job?

Why does ND have to risk an unknown entity?

Rees is now Kelly’s buddy... see a pattern here?

Rees also won’t challenge Kelly which I’m sure Long did. This offence has looked more or less the same for ten years, this will always be Kelly’s offence and the OC will be his puppet and/or scapegoat.

Rees is now Kelly’s buddy... see a pattern here?

Rees also won’t challenge Kelly which I’m sure Long did. This offence has looked more or less the same for ten years, this will always be Kelly’s offence and the OC will be his puppet and/or scapegoat.

Why did Rees accept the interview request from N'Western if he's Kelly's "Boy"? Drop the Kelly's boy stuff for crying out loud. Kelly's recent hires of Elko, Lea, Long and Taylor put that argument to rest. If you wish to stick with the Quinn hire, fine but he did interview multiple candidates and Hiestand was backing the Quinn hire. Sometimes it's going to be the default but the general argument died 3 years ago. Move on.

Why did Rees accept the interview request from N'Western if he's Kelly's "Boy"? Drop the Kelly's boy stuff for crying out loud. Kelly's recent hires of Elko, Lea, Long and Taylor put that argument to rest. If you wish to stick with the Quinn hire, fine but he did interview multiple candidates and Hiestand was backing the Quinn hire. Sometimes it's going to be the default but the general argument died 3 years ago. Move on.

Would you not interview for an OC position if you were a QB coach? The Kelly’s boy argument has nothing to do with Rees’ actions just Kelly’s.

Sure he hired those guys after 2016 and the heat was on. Now the heats off and he’s going back to his old ways. BVG wasted the best roster we’ve probably had since the last title.

You don’t think there were better OL coaches available than Quinn? And you don’t think there are proven OC’s out there that would do a better job than Rees? Please take off the rose coloured glasses kid.

I would advise folks to back off with the Rees put downs. He is not the pushover a lot of you folks think he is. Word around town is he is very active in meetings and has made the push to try and get the ball down field. He has a lot of credibility with Kelly and Kelly isfar more open to listen to Rees ideas than Long ideas. The divide between Kelly and Long has been not been overnight. There has been back room grumblings for a while now.

I like Tommy. He's a coaches kid and I think he has a good mind. My criticism of him as a player was largely due to his limitations as a QB in the spread system we employed. For the most part I think he is an up and comer as a coach and I wish him success.

He is extremely familiar with this offense which can be a good thing, despite my reservations and dislike of Kelly's system. The main thing that needs to change is getting a new OL coach and dump Quinn. Next year Rees will have a three year starter at QB, which hasn't occurred under Kelly, talent in the TE and receiving corp if Kmet returns even moreso, and an OL returning lots of starts(just need new coach to instilk fundamentals). I'm not doom and gloom on Rees...yet, he is an unknown and will Kelly fully allow him to run the offense?

I would advise folks to back off with the Rees put downs. He is not the pushover a lot of you folks think he is. Word around town is he is very active in meetings and has made the push to try and get the ball down field. He has a lot of credibility with Kelly and Kelly isfar more open to listen to Rees ideas than Long ideas. The divide between Kelly and Long has been not been overnight. There has been back room grumblings for a while now.

It’s not personal, I just don’t think he’s experienced enough to be successful in this role.