Camping World Bowl vs. Iowa St

DeeVee

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has nothing to do with that. Bowl games have contracts. The other slots were all filled before ND was eligible.

I agree but I think they should do way with the contracts. It’s like the participation trophy argument. Not every six win team deserves a bowl and many teams don’t deserve NY6 bowls.

I say they have a tier system, so the first highest rated bowl gets the first two teams they choose and then so on. Would never happen but it’d prevent crappy bowl like ND vs ISU, UVA vs Florida and Memphis vs PSU.

Not to beat a dead horse, but the way the bowls are set up for conference affiliation only really puts us at a disadvantage. We get the Camping sports bowl? Virginia who we beat gets the Orange bowl because it’s required the ACC gets a team in, Wisconsin gets the Rose bowl with 3 losses because the Big Ten has to have a team. It’s crap, and the way things are set up is dumb. We have to go undefeated or one close loss to have a chance at anything. I know bowls don’t matter in the grand scheme, but it does to recruits. If we are in the ACC or Big Ten we are in a big bowl game, not the camping sports bowl.

I agree but I think they should do way with the contracts. It’s like the participation trophy argument. Not every six win team deserves a bowl and many teams don’t deserve NY6 bowls.

I say they have a tier system, so the first highest rated bowl gets the first two teams they choose and then so on. Would never happen but it’d prevent crappy bowl like ND vs ISU, UVA vs Florida and Memphis vs PSU.

True, but bowls also want to make money. If the Orange Bowl has the first pick and could choose between #6 Washington vs. #7 Iowa or #9 Florida vs. #11 Miami, who are they going to choose?

There are bowl contracts because of geography and money. I agree you dont' always get the best games, but if the bowls don't fill up, they don't keep playing them.

Im just curious, what’s the appeal to the ACC agreement? The cupcake wins aren’t helping our sos and we aren’t getting the elite bowl the conference is tied to.

I wonder what bowl we would have gotten if we didn’t have this ACC agreement. In my opinion if your going to join go all in or don’t at all. I’m not sure if we were forced to go halfway in to get our other athletic teams in, but if we weren’t it makes no sense to me.

If we join a conference I would join the Big10. However, does joining a conference bring more money? I know we wouldn’t be able to keep all our rivalries and play a national schedule. Definitely lots of pros and cons either way.

Edited by ndomer4

It will be interesting to see stands during the game. I’m guessing there will be more Iowa State fans than ND fans, with about 1/4 - 1/3 of the seats empty. I doubt there’s a ton of ND enthusiasm for this game.

I don’t know why the heck we didn’t get Oklahoma State. A ranked opponent, we’ve never played them, they have a national following/respect, The Mullet vs the tomato and the battle of Canadians. ISU literally has no appeal.

Im just curious, what’s the appeal to the ACC agreement? The cupcake wins aren’t helping our sos and we aren’t getting the elite bowl the conference is tied to.

I wonder what bowl we would have gotten if we didn’t have this ACC agreement. In my opinion if your going to join go all in or don’t at all. I’m not sure if we were forced to go halfway in to get our other athletic teams in, but if we weren’t it makes no sense to me.

If we join a conference I would join the Big10. However, does joining a conference bring more money? I know we wouldn’t be able to keep all our rivalries and play a national schedule. Definitely lots of pros and cons either way.

If we join a conference I want the PAC 12 ( I know it sounds insane).

Agree with many of the points here. I know I am probably the only one looking forward to this game though. Obviously an Iowa boy.

Really like Campbell as a HC candidate and I hope he is available come our next coaching search, whenever that will be. He just signed an extension which makes his buyout much larger for any poachers, and there are a lot of schools keeping tabs on him. I've been told he does like Ames and ISU, but I've also heard he is really Midwest oriented and he is keen to the Midwest powers as destination jobs: ND, UM, and OSU. I think Day will be at OSU for awhile, and I'm hoping JH stays at UM for a few more years at least lasting longer than Kelly. If Campbell sticks with ISU until then and keeps doing what he has been doing there, or better, get on him.

I don't mind the matchup. Half the intrigue of bowls is to see how your team would stack up against teams in a different conference. ISU was middle of the pack in the Big 12. Let's see if Notre Dame can beat a middle of the pack big 12 team. That's how I look at it. Once ND is out of the Natty I have a hard time focusing on end of year goals. At least this way I can get a feel for how things would go were ND in the Big 12. Tiny sample size, of course, but makes me think some anyway. Happy Holidays!

Joining the Big10 would be a colossal blunder. Just like it is for Nebraska. Holy ****, Nebraska has been stripped of all its pride and glory in that league because they just don’t really belong there. Penn St, too.

Sure Penn St can put together some ok teams but they’re just an also ran in Michigan and Ohio State’s league. No thanks, we would also 100% be in the West with the boring teams like Minnesota, Iowa, Illinois and Wisconsin.

Just be another face in the crowd and would probably be eroded down to Northwestern-tier in no time.

ACC might not be great but we would be placed in the opposite division of Florida St and Clemson and there would always be that expectation that ND is going to run things in that division which would would be good for us. Plus more exposure down South.

I don't mind the matchup. Half the intrigue of bowls is to see how your team would stack up against teams in a different conference. ISU was middle of the pack in the Big 12. Let's see if Notre Dame can beat a middle of the pack big 12 team. That's how I look at it. Once ND is out of the Natty I have a hard time focusing on end of year goals. At least this way I can get a feel for how things would go were ND in the Big 12. Tiny sample size, of course, but makes me think some anyway. Happy Holidays!

Here’s the problem:

Iowa State is really good at getting up for games against big name opponents.

And ND isn’t going to be excited to play an unranked Iowa State in the Camping Whatever Bowl at the end of the year.

So we have nothing to gain by winning and a lot to lose by losing. Not a great place to be in.