Random Q - Who Is Our Bag Man?

Does anyone have any clue about the inner workings of our recruiting...? The dirty stuff? At some universities, high school coaches know EXACTLY who the bag man is... They can also tell you which recruits and families have their hands out for money. Which then leads me to ask...what's our situation? Because I never see ND mentioned when these conversations arise.

In fact, when Operation Varsity Blues went down, it was said that these students could buy their way into practically any school, except ND. So, I imagine we tend to be on the better side of things, but at the same time, I also imagine we still have our tricks, we're just better at hiding them.

Anyone have any clue whether we're 100% clean or whether we're competing within the more seedy spheres of the sport? I imagine that if we are competing in this regard, we have a competitive advantage based on our network being so unique as a university, generally. Our network is amorphous. In other words, you can pin down a single person at many schools, but at ND, it would seem that we'd spread our dealings across an entire network if we were acting like Bama. On the other hand, I can still see us being completely clean, too, except for the Kim chick that was taking players to Vegas... I just don't know, but have always been curious. I don't want to be blind and claim we're Boy Scouts if we aren't.

Does anyone have any clue about the inner workings of our recruiting...? The dirty stuff? At some universities, high school coaches know EXACTLY who the bag man is... They can also tell you which recruits and families have their hands out for money. Which then leads me to ask...what's our situation? Because I never see ND mentioned when these conversations arise.

In fact, when Operation Varsity Blues went down, it was said that these students could buy their way into practically any school, except ND. So, I imagine we tend to be on the better side of things, but at the same time, I also imagine we still have our tricks, we're just better at hiding them.

Anyone have any clue whether we're 100% clean or whether we're competing within the more seedy spheres of the sport? I imagine that if we are competing in this regard, we have a competitive advantage based on our network being so unique as a university, generally. Our network is amorphous. In other words, you can pin down a single person at many schools, but at ND, it would seem that we'd spread our dealings across an entire network if we were acting like Bama. On the other hand, I can still see us being completely clean, too, except for the Kim chick that was taking players to Vegas... I just don't know, but have always been curious. I don't want to be blind and claim we're Boy Scouts if we aren't.

Yeah, great idea to discuss potential NCAA violations on a public forum. I believe we're as clean as can be.

If we did, you think anyone on this message board would know the answer. LOL

And no, I dont think we have one

Since moving here, the impression I get is that each sport has little connection as far as the inner-workings. Men's basketball does not know the secrets of the fencing squad. Each coach has their own data point of where they are regarding their shortcomings personally and professionally. Muffett has an exceptional reputation on campus.

With all of that said, I have no reason to believe that our programs don't run clean. Most of the coaches are highly thought of by alumni and donors regarding ethics. I'm very proud of the way Notre Dame athletes and athletic department represents in the community.

So no bag man in my opinion.

Do any of you think that anything said on here is going to be worth a grain of salt to the NCAA when there are much more open secrets floating around the recruiting world as it is... Hell, if you don't want to talk about ND, tell me about other programs.

I mean, in SEC country, there are always the guys hanging around or floating around... Everyone knows about them. Or, hell, just look at the recent FBI basketball scandal.

I know people are connected around here. What kind of stories do you hear? The city of Memphis is generally dirty in this regard, so I hear things indirectly and I'm not even asking for it. In LA it was crazy how open the boosters were about their cheating under Carroll.

If there is anything like a bagman at ND it is a well kept secret. The school is quick to self report any infraction and take steps sometimes well beyond anything the NCAA would impose on it. I have no knowledge or inside connections to anything, just observations of how ND seems to handle things.

The Dunbar situation is a perfect example. She was a jock chaser and paid $50 or whatever to become a booster club member. I believe if she hadn't done that booster club thing nothing would have come of it from what I remember of the incident.

• 2 weeks later...