Notre Dame Team Speed

Frankus

I don't know if anyboy posted this article, apologies if they did, but in the article Kelly admits we don't have elite speed. Pretty obvious last night after switching from LSU-Bama to ND-Duke.

He's had 10 years. Does anybody think he's going to make the leap? If not, the question then becomes (a) can we hire a coach who can recruit elite speed, or (b) can we hire a coach who can win a NC despite not having elite team speed. Personally, I think you must recruit it. I don't think Ed Orgeron is a great coach, but he's a helluva recruiter and motivator, surrounded himself with good assistants and LSU is now elite. We beat them a few years ago in that bowl game. They'd crush us today.

Here's Kelly's money quote from the article:

“Overall team speed is above average in terms of nationally. Not elite,” said Kelly, adding, “it needs to get better. We need to recruit to that level. We were below average when I first got here. We probably stayed in that below average or average (range) and now we’re above the average in terms of team speed.”

Edited by Frankus

We all knew this already from just watching. I guess Tyree is elite coming in. Maybe Cozie? Perhaps this is the new leaf turned over.

Alabama and LSU have it at every skill position on both offense and defense. I would also question our power. Even without elite speed, if we had more power there's no way we would have been beaten as badly by Michigan as we were.

Scheme, scheme, and scheme. We have speed and power on our team. It is negated by schemes we deploy and decisions by coaches. Players who are fast but have to think rather than react during a game are going to play slower, fact. Slow players who aren't held back and allowed to play certainly look a lot faster than than the aforementioned "fast" guys.

One of my favorite players was Shane Walton, slow as hell for a DB, but was a ballhawking SOB. Rocket got packages that utilized his speed, nothing complex but give him the ball and let him go do something. OL go out and knock the **** out of someone and drive them backwards on run plays, not hard. DL kill the QB and stuff the gaps.

We’ve had some pretty fast teams in the past.

2015- Fuller, Procise and Adams could all take it the distance any second on offence. On defence there weren’t many faster linebackers than Jaylon Smith and Russell could run with almost anyone. CJ Sanders in the return game. That team was fast and with a competent DC they would have went undefeated.

2017- Wimbush, Adams, Williams and Stepherson could all take it the distance any play. We had Claypool as well but he played a lesser role. Pride, Coleman and Love all had great speed in the secondary. Our d line had Okwara, Kareem, Hayes and Ogundegi. Also I’m not taking many backing cores over Morgan-Coney-Tranquill, they ran sideline to sideline.

Besides these two teams, we have lacked elite speed.

Alabama and LSU have it at every skill position on both offense and defense. I would also question our power. Even without elite speed, if we had more power there's no way we would have been beaten as badly by Michigan as we were.

You would think he would had recognized this in 2012 against Alabama.

Also, good points Jesse. I agree completely. I think we have some fast dudes if we can get them to play to that level.

Scheme, scheme, and scheme. We have speed and power on our team. It is negated by schemes we deploy and decisions by coaches. Players who are fast but have to think rather than react during a game are going to play slower, fact. Slow players who aren't held back and allowed to play certainly look a lot faster than than the aforementioned "fast" guys.

One of my favorite players was Shane Walton, slow as hell for a DB, but was a ballhawking SOB. Rocket got packages that utilized his speed, nothing complex but give him the ball and let him go do something. OL go out and knock the **** out of someone and drive them backwards on run plays, not hard. DL kill the QB and stuff the gaps.

You're telling me Kelly is wrong? If Kelly could scheme his way out of our lack of speed, we wouldn't be getting consistently blown out when we face teams with elite speed and good coaching. I do suspect scheme does factor in during blowouts like against Michigan, who doesn't have elite speed either. And no, PJ Fleck isn't going to beat Alabama and LSU without elite speed. Holtz was a better coach and had a better scheme than Faust, but it was the elite speed that he brought in that took him to the top.

We all knew this already from just watching. I guess Tyree is elite coming in. Maybe Cozie? Perhaps this is the new leaf turned over.

It shows up more on defense that offense. If you have slow LBs and DBs then the elite team will consistently smoke you. Plus the fast defenses make you look even slower than your offense make be.

I read the article and for once Kelly was honest. The problem is it’s his fault. We have some very fast and athletic players. But across the board we are just slightly above average. Our linebackers except Bilial are average if not below average. Corners are very average, but Hamilton at Safety is a very fast athletic safety. Our DL is mediocre. DEs are above average, but DTs I think are slow compared to the LSU’s and Bama’s. It’s the same things we have been saying for a decade. Certain positions have gotten better, but not to a championship level.

On offense we have some elite athletes at WR, but seldom use that speed. Our rb corp is one of the slowest in college football. I hate to say it, but we have poorly recruited that position for too long. I honestly think Cbo might be our most athletic rb, and a lot of people thought he was a waist of a scholarship when we signed him. I can’t stress enough how poor our rbs are compared to other top 10-15 teams. We have MAC level talent there. TE’s are among the best in the country however. Tremble is very athletic for the position and Kmet is a first or 2nd round pick.

I read the article and for once Kelly was honest. The problem is it’s his fault. We have some very fast and athletic players. But across the board we are just slightly above average. Our linebackers except Bilial are average if not below average. Corners are very average, but Hamilton at Safety is a very fast athletic safety. Our DL is mediocre. DEs are above average, but DTs I think are slow compared to the LSU’s and Bama’s. It’s the same things we have been saying for a decade. Certain positions have gotten better, but not to a championship level.

On offense we have some elite athletes at WR, but seldom use that speed. Our rb corp is one of the slowest in college football. I hate to say it, but we have poorly recruited that position for too long. I honestly think Cbo might be our most athletic rb, and a lot of people thought he was a waist of a scholarship when we signed him. I can’t stress enough how poor our rbs are compared to other top 10-15 teams. We have MAC level talent there. TE’s are among the best in the country however. Tremble is very athletic for the position and Kmet is a first or 2nd round pick.

Someone at NDNation pointed out that, even though Kelly said he inherited below average speed, he did inherit these players: Theo Riddick, Jonas Grey, Kyle Rudolph, Michael Floyd,Robert Hughes, Tyler Eiefert, Armando Allen, Mike Ragone, Duval Kamara, Manti Te'o, Kapron Lewis Moore, Harrison Smith and Ian Williams. Not sure about the rest of the roster.

I agree with you about our rb speed. It's hard to tell what kind of wr speed we have, since we don't have a QB that can throw those types of long, in stride bombs that LSU and Bama's QB threw yesterday.

Edited by Frankus

Our teem speed definitely goes in waves.

Troy Pride is plenty fast I'd say sub 4.5

Claypool I'd say around 4.55-4-6. Wide receiver as Frankus says is hard. Boykin just timed at 4.45 or something and I thought that he was slower. I think Kevin Austin and Braden Lenzy are in that 4.45 range but they can't stay on the field.

At RB I'd say Tony around 4.65-4.72

At RB I'd say Jafar is 4.55-.4.6

I think Jahmir is in that 4.6-4.65 range

I think C-Bo is fastest at like 4.55-4.6

So everyone can see why I think Tyree is a must get at 4.38, we also have a 5 star receiver coming that could be in the high 4.4 or low 4.5's

We must remember that Alabama isn't always fast. Mark Ingram who beat us in 2012 ran in the 4.6's-4.8

This version of Bama is really fast, thats why they've gone to the spread offense.

So this not a fast version of ND especially when you take Boykin and Austin out.

Edited by FaithInIrishForever

ND definitely underperformed recruiting RBs the past few yrs. However, Taylor is a god dam great Recruiter and already turning the corner.

It shows up more on defense that offense. If you have slow LBs and DBs then the elite team will consistently smoke you. Plus the fast defenses make you look even slower than your offense make be.

Should show how good Lea is at scheming. The LBs limited speed got exposed the first game of the yr. However, aside from Michigan, the D has been solid.

I don't know if anyboy posted this article, apologies if they did, but in the article Kelly admits we don't have elite speed. Pretty obvious last night after switching from LSU-Bama to ND-Duke.

He's had 10 years. Does anybody think he's going to make the leap? If not, the question then becomes (a) can we hire a coach who can recruit elite speed, or (b) can we hire a coach who can win a NC despite not having elite team speed. Personally, I think you must recruit it. I don't think Ed Orgeron is a great coach, but he's a helluva recruiter and motivator, surrounded himself with good assistants and LSU is now elite. We beat them a few years ago in that bowl game. They'd crush us today.

Here's Kelly's money quote from the article:

“Overall team speed is above average in terms of nationally. Not elite,” said Kelly, adding, “it needs to get better. We need to recruit to that level. We were below average when I first got here. We probably stayed in that below average or average (range) and now we’re above the average in terms of team speed.”

It's not for lack of trying to recruit speed guys. They've just gone elsewhere and some of them I am sure did not have the grades to be admitted.

So everyone can see why I think Tyree is a must get at 4.38, we also have a 5 star receiver coming that could be in the high 4.4 or low 4.5's

Unfortunately it won't matter how fast they are if they don't do everything exactly like the coaching staff wants them to right out of the gate. How many guys have come in and been really fast, or exceptionally talented but never see the field because they don't pick up something minuscule the staff wants?

Someone at NDNation pointed out that, even though Kelly said he inherited below average speed, he did inherit these players: Theo Riddick, Jonas Grey, Kyle Rudolph, Michael Floyd,Robert Hughes, Tyler Eiefert, Armando Allen, Mike Ragone, Duval Kamara, Manti Te'o, Kapron Lewis Moore, Harrison Smith and Ian Williams. Not sure about the rest of the roster.

I agree with you about our rb speed. It's hard to tell what kind of wr speed we have, since we don't have a QB that can throw those types of long, in stride bombs that LSU and Bama's QB threw yesterday.

Right, those guys were all good, but none were fast, Jonas Gray excepted. Remember when those guys played Alabama? They looked like they were D2 players.

Right, those guys were all good, but none were fast, Jonas Gray excepted. Remember when those guys played Alabama? They looked like they were D2 players.

We are particularly slow on offense. I don't see any speed advantage in our skill positions. I think our linebackers overall are faster, excepting Manti who was great despite his Alabama performance. Probably our entire secondary as well, Our edge rushers are faster. Sadly, Okwara is out for the year. Miami and Michigan made us look like a D2 team.

Unfortunately it won't matter how fast they are if they don't do everything exactly like the coaching staff wants them to right out of the gate. How many guys have come in and been really fast, or exceptionally talented but never see the field because they don't pick up something minuscule the staff wants?

Minuscule? Like learning the playbooks? That’s not minuscule