Book Regressing at QB

Tenacious_ND

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're all on crack. Of course no one's going to say he's an elite QB. He's not. When's the last time ND had an elite QB? I go back to Tom Clements days and ND has never had an elite QB, or at least what I think you folks would consider elite. Don't throw out Montana; he wasn't elite and no one in NFL wanted him, but then he surprised. Name the elite QBs in the college game today, and then tell me what their win-loss record is compared to Book's as a starter.

He's not elite, but he's not garbage or sh*t.

Book has made major strides maneuvering in the pocket and not bailing so often.

He looks like the qb we saw early last year using his feet and making big pass plays when extending.

This is all for naught though if he lays an egg in the bowl game again.

Also I’d like to add I think we all over exaggerated after the Michigan game. Yes he was terrible, however we’ve never seen him throw in the rain. Clearly he can’t throw a wet football.

Against top competition he is garbage and that’s a proven fact! He’s average against **** teams.

You're continuing to say it doesn't make it so.

Book has lost to the following in the last 3 years:

Georgia & Fromm 2x (and he's played well both games)

Clemson & golden-haired Kelly whateverhisnameis (elite Tua got his *** kicked, too)

Stanford & K.J. Costello (who he has also beaten)

Michigan & Shea Patterson (who he has also beaten)

Miami & i don't remember QB

Sorry - editing as 1 Georgia game, Stanford, and Miami was Wimbush with Book in limited relief. So revised it's Fromm 1x, Trevor Lawrence (not Kelly), and Michigan.

Edited by jmfinsd

Clemson & golden-haired Kelly whateverhisnameis (elite Tua got his *** kicked, too)

Miami, Georgia (17) and Stanford belong to Wimbush.

He’s an average qb who can’t beat top teams and you just provided the info. How many top teams has book beat? Zero! Fact

Against top competition he is garbage and that’s a proven fact! He’s average against **** teams.

He's been the best player on offense the last three weeks not named Claypool. He was also one of the only offensive players who showed up against Georgia.

He played terrible against Michigan, but so did everyone else. He is a really good college QB who is 18-3 as a starter. He's not Trevor Lawrence or Tua or Justin Fields, but he has been a really good QB the last three weeks and will be the starter next year, so you better get used to it.

He's been the best player on offense the last three weeks not named Claypool. He was also one of the only offensive players who showed up against Georgia.

He played terrible against Michigan, but so did everyone else. He is a really good college QB who is 18-3 as a starter. He's not Trevor Lawrence or Tua or Justin Fields, but he has been a really good QB the last three weeks and will be the starter next year, so you better get used to it.

Top player against a ****** navy , duke and BC team. Wow. Impressive! Against Michigan Georgia and Clemson he was a bitch.

Top player against a ****** navy , duke and BC team. Wow. Impressive! Against Michigan Georgia and Clemson he was a bitch.

Do you watch the games? He was one of our best players against Georgia. He is the reason ND had a chance to win the game at the end. The whole team played terrible against Michigan this year, and the coaches deserve a ton of blame. Did you see what Clemson did to Alabama last year? Maybe Clemson was just one of the best teams of the last 25 years. NFL talent all over the field on defense. ND did not have the offensive skill talent necessary to win that game.

Do you watch the games? He was one of our best players against Georgia. He is the reason ND had a chance to win the game at the end. The whole team played terrible against Michigan this year, and the coaches deserve a ton of blame. Did you see what Clemson did to Alabama last year? Maybe Clemson was just one of the best teams of the last 25 years. NFL talent all over the field on defense. ND did not have the offensive skill talent necessary to win that game.

I watch the games and the end score is the stat I use. Sorry maybe book isn’t garbage but he’s not worthy of the starting qb position at ND. He’s average at best. Lots of bad passes today against a ****** BC team. When he wins a big game then you can prove me wrong.

Dont know that anyone's opinion on book could or would change based on the last 3 weeks. Books proven for 2 years he handles these average teams very well. He just doesnt handle the big games all that well, who is the best team hes beaten? Syracuse last year? USC or one of the virginia teams this season? Not all that impressive.

Record isn’t the greatest stat to judge QBs by or no one on this board would have wanted Wimbush gone, considering he was 12-4 or whatever. And the “get used to it” sucks. Just because something IS one way doesn’t mean it has to be.

Dont know that anyone's opinion on book could or would change based on the last 3 weeks. Books proven for 2 years he handles these average teams very well. He just doesnt handle the big games all that well, who is the best team hes beaten? Syracuse last year? USC or one of the virginia teams this season? Not all that impressive.

Winning is really a team effort.

It starts with coaching.

Player development in the off season and during the season

Conditioning.

Nutrition.

Health.

Mindset.

Game plan.

Everyone understanding and executing their role.

Holding onto and catching the football.

The quarterback is obviously hugely important.

I just don’t think it’s fair or accurate to say that Book has beaten this team or lost to that team. Winning and losing is a team effort, and it starts (and to me almost always ends) with coaching.

Edited by Kelly Gruene

Is it too much to ask that Book not be referred to as “garbage”?

Seriously, he’s not. There’s a world of difference between being elite and being awful, and he’s empirically not awful.

Even if this thread began when we were upset about that terrible Michigan game, we should all be able to avoid labeling like this.

Seriously, he’s not. There’s a world of difference between being elite and being awful, and he’s empirically not awful.

Even if this thread began when we were upset about that terrible Michigan game, we should all be able to avoid labeling like this.

Agreed. As frustrated as I get at times watching him play, he isn’t garbage. He isn’t great either for sure. But he isn’t garbage.

He is average.

Agreed. As frustrated as I get at times watching him play, he isn’t garbage. He isn’t great either for sure. But he isn’t garbage.

He is average.

I would say he has an average arm, but he is not an average QB when it comes to passes within his range. He is also improving his pocket presence, by standing within the pocket longer and is not backing out of the pocket like he was earlier in the season. This has led to more up the field runs for him, which has made him a more dangerous runner. We could win a NC with him if we had a both a solid defense and a consistent running game, which we've never had concurrently under Kelly at ND.

A reasonable post is not acceptable for this Board!;)

I think its a little harsh to call a kid garbage.

No doubt.

Before any of us call an 18 - 22 year-old scholarship kid garbage, consider:

Do you have a job?

Do you get paid for your job?

Do you consider yourself to be in the top 10% of people nationwide doing a similar job?

Do you ever have an "off" day at your job, maybe a few days a year where you don't execute every aspect of your job perfectly?

Do you have a boss, not to mention a nation, watching your every move at the job every day, analyzing every detail of what you do?

I suppose it could be argued that Book isn't a top 10% QB; but I would absolutely argue that.

If you do have that occasional off day, if you're not in the top 5-10% of people who do what you do, does that make you garbage?

Just sayin'....