Meyer as ND head coach?

Random thoughts:

first hes brillant

second hes in high demand

third hes like Leahy(ND was a much different ND when Leahy was the coach) ND still was fresh from being a training ground for the armed forces vs ND pursuing to be the Harvard of the Midwest

fourth: Does Meyer view his legacy as complete? 3 titles..ND would be the biggest challenge/risk of his career/legacy. Would he make that gamble? Win one at ND and your on the Mount Rushmore of coaches forever!! Don't your good but you are NOT Saban good.

fifth: Kelly timeline:Kelly's 58 Urban's 55: say BK for 3 more years. Would Urban want this at 58?

Your move Urban.. Your Move! My gut says he won't coach ND mostly because of the timeline

He’s always said in the past that he won’t talk about another job when someone else is there. Have to fire Kelly first.

Also, who cares if he stays for 5 years. Isn’t that where BK’s contract pretty much be too? ND will be in the same boat for looking for a coach in 5 years no matter what.

Lastly, I’m sure he sees how he could easily win 10 games a year with ND’s schedule. He just had to get his guys up for two big games. Which I know he can do that.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One other thing.

What does Urban want his legacy to be. That is the big question. He could go to USC and win but that won’t move the needle much.

BUT, if he comes to ND and wins one, he will no question get a statue here, but he’ll have one at tOSU, and at Florida. Can Saban say that?

Can Saban say he’s won at three schools? If Urban came here and “won,” there’s no question the needle moves and he is considered one of the best, if not the best. Surpassing Saban. Does Urban want that challenge?

Random thoughts:

first hes brillant

second hes in high demand

third hes like Leahy(ND was a much different ND when Leahy was the coach) ND still was fresh from being a training ground for the armed forces vs ND pursuing to be the Harvard of the Midwest

fourth: Does Meyer view his legacy as complete? 3 titles..ND would be the biggest challenge/risk of his career/legacy. Would he make that gamble? Win one at ND and your on the Mount Rushmore of coaches forever!! Don't your good but you are NOT Saban good.

fifth: Kelly timeline:Kelly's 58 Urban's 55: say BK for 3 more years. Would Urban want this at 58?

Your move Urban.. Your Move! My gut says he won't coach ND mostly because of the timeline

3 more years of Brian Kelly. Barf

One other thing.

What does Urban want his legacy to be. That is the big question. He could go to USC and win but that won’t move the needle much.

BUT, if he comes to ND and wins one, he will no question get a statue here, but he’ll have one at tOSU, and at Florida. Can Saban say that?

Can Saban say he’s won at three schools? If Urban came here and “won,” there’s no question the needle moves and he is considered one of the best, if not the best. Surpassing Saban. Does Urban want that challenge?

I hear what your saying but it would be the exact same thing if he went to SC and did it. He would be a legend. And, it would be far easier and far less taxing on him physically to do it at SC. SC is a far better job than the HC at ND when you look at all the factors.

I hear what your saying but it would be the exact same thing if he went to SC and did it. He would be a legend. And, it would be far easier and far less taxing on him physically to do it at SC. SC is a far better job than the HC at ND when you look at all the factors.

Really? You think it would be the same thing? He wins at SC, as you said, it’s far easier path to win there. Easier to recruit, easier to win(pac16 sucks), easier path overall. People wouldn’t blink if he won there.

He wins at ND with the restrictions, the weather, it’s in sleepy town South Bend, and it’s been 30 years since they won..? It’s also ND the most polar college in the nation. Not even in the same ball park. He would be “heavenly” praised here more than at USC. Writers would claim he won at a place that most people thought it could never be done again. That’s the sell. At USC, it would be the same argument, yeah but Meyer won at easily recruited states in Florida, tOSU, and California. He couldn’t do it at ND or Washington or add your favorite college who hasn’t won anything and lives in a poor state for recruiting.

One other thing. What does Urban want his legacy to be.

He really doesn't need to do anything else for his legacy. Even if he never coaches again, he'll still be remembered as one of the greats to ever coach....multiple National Championships, and at more than one school.

Yeah, a natty at ND would be way more impressive than one at SC, but if he did want to simply add to the total championships to get closer to Saban, SC is the place.

What I do know is that the guy already had the prime opportunity to go to ND, had the "ND clause" in his contract even, labeled ND as one of his "dream jobs," and still went to Fla.

I know he said it was a "family" decision, but if he truly wanted the ND job back then, he would've just told the fam, hey we're going to So. Bend. I don't know - IF he ever does coach again - why he would choose to come here this time.

Why would Meyer choose ND over USC?

Notre Dame's athletic department is in good shape and helmed by a savvy businessman and alumnus.

USC can't hold their AD together! They can't hold onto ADs and stay out of scandals. Whether it's football or another sport, USC can't stop itself from being sports tabloid fodder.

I beg to differ about South Bend being a sleepy town. I just moved here in the summer and have found it to be on the rise. Not just from a visual perspective but also the young blood moving into the area. South Bend isn't back to the early 20th century success but it is moving in a positive direction. We just need to get rid of the homeless problem. A neighboring town literally bused their homeless here!

Urban Meyer won't come here. His wife hates South Bend. That was one of the biggest factors when he took the Florida job over ND. Happy wife, happy life.

He’s one of the greatest CF coaches of all time, she’s a nurse. He should be making all important family decisions.

Really? You think it would be the same thing? He wins at SC, as you said, it’s far easier path to win there. Easier to recruit, easier to win(pac16 sucks), easier path overall. People wouldn’t blink if he won there.

He wins at ND with the restrictions, the weather, it’s in sleepy town South Bend, and it’s been 30 years since they won..? It’s also ND the most polar college in the nation. Not even in the same ball park. He would be “heavenly” praised here more than at USC. Writers would claim he won at a place that most people thought it could never be done again. That’s the sell. At USC, it would be the same argument, yeah but Meyer won at easily recruited states in Florida, tOSU, and California. He couldn’t do it at ND or Washington or add your favorite college who hasn’t won anything and lives in a poor state for recruiting.

I guess I wasn’t clear with what I was trying to say. What I mean is that if he won at SC or at ND it would still be championships at 3 different schools. The first to do it.

And since it would be easier to do it at SC and if that was his main goal—to win at 3 different schools—then SC is the logical choice.

History would not slight him in the least bit if he won at SC and not at ND.

He’s one of the greatest CF coaches of all time, she’s a nurse. He should be making all important family decisions.

As a college football fanatic and husband to a nurse, I just want to say that this statement is ignorant. She saves lives, sir. He supervises a game...

As a college football fanatic and husband to a nurse, I just want to say that this statement is ignorant. She saves lives, sir. He supervises a game...

I was discussing with a buddy the fact that Urban's wife has made it public that she doesn't wanna live in SB (can't blame her) and the guy asked why she wouldn't be content living in a nice suburb in northern Chicago while working at Northwestern Memorial or UCMC ....using a helicopter to get to and from SB with all the money UM would be raking in...

Lol....her reasoning must not be SB as much as cold weather itself.....although the Meyer family did live in Utah for a hot minute....

But again, I'd rather have a hot prospect up-and-comer type like Fleck.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...ed-per-report/

Urban Meyer 'undoubtedly' USC's No. 1 choice for job 'if he's interested,' per report

https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/s...26313309134848

Urban Meyer is “undoubtedly" USC’s No. 1 choice & USC will do "whatever it takes to get him” as its next coach, sources told @Stadium. “We think the guy that can do it is Urban,” source said. "He did it at Utah, Florida & Ohio State, but the question is if he’s really interested"

— Brett McMurphy (@Brett_McMurphy) November 1, 2019

https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...ed-per-report/

Urban Meyer 'undoubtedly' USC's No. 1 choice for job 'if he's interested,' per report

https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/s...26313309134848

Urban Meyer is “undoubtedly" USC’s No. 1 choice & USC will do "whatever it takes to get him” as its next coach, sources told @Stadium. “We think the guy that can do it is Urban,” source said. "He did it at Utah, Florida & Ohio State, but the question is if he’s really interested"

— Brett McMurphy (@Brett_McMurphy) November 1, 2019

As I said earlier, this makes all the sense in the world for Meyer. It is a great coaching job and would be the least intrusive for his health issues. Hell, he would get every top player in the state and wouldn’t have to get on a plane to recruit if he didn’t want to. If he comes back into coaching I think this is the spot.

And, at the same time, this would be our worst nightmare because SC would lay the pimp hand down on us each and every time we play.

To be honest, I wouldn't even want Meyer anymore. His turnover rate is way too high. Only if we were somehow guaranteed to be set for several years after he left.....

He hand picked his coach that's taking over at OSU.. Granted I want to see his success with his own players married with his coaching philosophy but it's a far cry from the Ohio State program Luke Fickle ran.. They are arguably 2nd best team in the country right now..

I wouldn't be opposed to it.. He does have that Gun for Hire stigma, but in this what have you done for me society, why not?

He'd set us up for 4-5 competitive years for championships and I'm confident we wouldnt make the Davie O'Leary Willingham Weis mistakes post Meyer.

That being said, I'm not sure if Notre Dame would even touch him.

I am not sure who should come to ND, Kelly's reign should be over.

However, its a perfect time for a big time coach to come in, the shelves are pretty stocked, the next 2 classes are looking pretty good. The program has moved forward, the campus has added facilities. I think a new head coach with new excitement and an elevation in performance could very well start steamrolling to a championship.