Phil has to be the starter

Was listening to a ND podcast today and one of the hosts made a really good point. He mentioned how Kelly has been publicly down on Phil in the media. Saying how he has no confidence in him executing better than Book. He said that this is EXACTLY the sort of thing that you should NOT do to your backup QB. He speaks so highly of Book and goes on and on and on defending him and saying that there's no QB controversy and how Phil basically has no chance to start over him.

Kelly should be doing all that he can to BOOST Phil's confidence but he is doing the opposite.

Boom.

Kelly is a politician, not a coach.

Doesnt know how to wring the best of each guy, instead plays favorites.

Great recruiter. Average coach. Awful QB developper.

And for that , Phil should start before BK f’s him up

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, you just called a fair number of ND alumni "stupid"

Why do you think ND is different than Dayton, Marquette, DePaul, etc.

Basically one reason and one reason only: excellence in football

ND is a far better school academically than those examples. Any guidance counselor will tell you picking a school STRICTLY bc you’re a fan of their sports teams is a horrible decision

ND is a far better school academically than those examples. Any guidance counselor will tell you picking a school STRICTLY bc you’re a fan of their sports teams is a horrible decision

Why do you think that ND, a small Catholic school in the middle of nowhere, became a Top 25 academic school as opposed to other small Catholic schools in the Midwest?

It was largely in part because over the years many (not all but many) people chose to go there solely due to its athletic success.

The same reason that I easily know of 15 kids who have gone to Alabama from my town in Indiana while I know noone who has gone to Auburn. Many of these kids are in the top 10 percent of their class of a Top 5 school.

PJ Fleck is an overrated dbag

BTW, have you met Fleck? Does someone you know know him?

Why the hatred towards him? Is this something you reserve for football coaches or do you normally use profanity in your everyday life to disparage people who you have no real connection?

since the 2015 season ND is 42-17 71% winning pct. and that's including the disastrous 2016 season when ND went 4-8.

71% is basically 9-4.

Kelly went 72% for his first three years (28-11)

His record has stayed the same. He has been a four loss a year coach at ND.

BTW, have you met Fleck? Does someone you know know him?

Why the hatred towards him? Is this something you reserve for football coaches or do you normally use profanity in your everyday life to disparage people who you have no real connection?

I know you weren't asking me, but I have met Fleck. Played against him in high school sports.

We had one black kid in our school who was on our basketball team. Fleck used a few racial slurs towards him during the game.

He could win a title at ND and I'd **** on his statue.

Going to a school bc they’re good at sports is stupid.

You should let the entire stock of the ESPN 300 know, because the goal of the overwhelming majority of those kids is to land in the NFL. They're attending college because it's a prerequisite to getting drafted.

And now how is Stanford doing? Somehow, I don’t think Shaw is on the hot seat. Winning 10 games every yr isn’t realistic, there’s going to be more ups and downs bc of the limits in recruiting. I think Kelly gives ND the best chance to win a title in the next 5 yrs. PJ Fleck is an overrated dbag who will undoubtedly flame at his next more high profile gig.

Serious question for you. When Urban was at Utah, do you remember all the articles and pundits proclaiming that he would win multiple national championships at different high profile schools? I don't.

You keep saying that PJ is no Urban, but that's precisely the reason that most of us want to give either him (or a similarly young, energetic coach) the opportunity. No one has any idea who the next major up-and-comer coach is going to be, but every high profile team who is disappointed with what their current HC is doing is willing to throw the dice to find out.

Considering UM has joined the ranks of very few college head coaches who have won titles at more than 1 school, of course it's unlikely that any active coach will match or surpass UM.

But one thing that the CFB world has learned is that coaches who are young at heart and able to relate on a more personal level with their recruits and active players (UM and Dabo, specifically, with Saban leaving that to his assistants) typically yield better on field results.

The reason some of us want one of these up-and-comer types is they cost less to bring on board before they've proven their results can work at a major program..... and some good coaches who struggle some places end up flourishing when they gel somewhere else. Look at Nick Saban and his BK-esque results at LSU. He goes to the NFL, fails, returns to CFB and ends up running an unrivaled dynasty.

Throwing the dice on a coach who can take a team with limited talent (like Minnesota) and show gradual, consistent improvement should be precisely the metrics our admin uses to find our next coach. We could go after a big name, but I think we've already discovered that coaches who have already been at the helm of big boy teams would rather not gamble with their reputation at Notre Dame.

We need to find that next diamond in the rough....the next coach who will undoubtedly get hired at a big name school and do great things because the school identified the talent and was willing to spend the money to find out.

I get that you don't have any respect (yet) for Fleck, but I think when he is brought aboard a major program you're going to be eating your words after you see what he's able to do with a legit recruiting pool and unfettered resources.

One thing I do know is that tomorrow, Minnesota is going to hang with a top 10 team with about a quarter of their talent. That is a product of good coaching. You still hang your hat on BK while squealing about Harbaugh being mediocre. That mediocre coach just absolutely humiliated us last week and murdered any chance we had at a decent bowl game appearance this year.

Edited by echo88

FSU just fired Taggert after less than two years because they have high expectations. I just wish ND would do the same.

I love that Nebraska fired Pelini. They expect titles. Maybe that isn't a legitimate expectation, but that's what they expect. Pelini was winning games, but they were nowhere near a title. They tried Riley. Now they are on to Frost. At least they are trying something new.

I'd rather give a young coach a chance (not Fleck, but name others) and have ND either win a title or 6 games vs knowing ND is going to win 9-12 games, but never a title.

FSU just fired Taggert after less than two years because they have high expectations. I just wish ND would do the same.

I love that Nebraska fired Pelini. They expect titles. Maybe that isn't a legitimate expectation, but that's what they expect. Pelini was winning games, but they were nowhere near a title. They tried Riley. Now they are on to Frost. At least they are trying something new.

I'd rather give a young coach a chance (not Fleck, but name others) and have ND either win a title or 6 games vs knowing ND is going to win 9-12 games, but never a title.

Frost, yep. The man takes a winless UCF team, turns 0 wins into 6 in his first season, then goes undefeated the next defeating #7 AUBURN in a bowl game. He's definitely struggling to learn what it takes to win at a major program now that he's at Nebraska....but it will happen. Of all the major historic programs, Nebraska is probably the least attractive---tough to recruit, hasn't done anything since the 90s, middle of nowhere....etc..

And Herman. Hell, last year Herman took his Horns to beat Georgia in the Sugar Bowl to finish ranked in the top 10...in just his second season. That's what migrating from Houston to a bigtime program (with bigtime recruits) can reveal about a football coach who is given a shot.

This year, the Horns lost by a single touchdown to both LSU and Oklahoma--in my opinion-- two of the top 5 teams in the country. Both of those teams would have demolished the Irish this year. We got throttled by a Michigan team who will probably end up being ranked somewhere between #15-#20 after they get smoked by OSU...

But yeah, it's ridiculous and "stupid" to assume that one of the young gun hot coaches might be a better alternative than keeping BK on board to coast through the next 5 years with mostly nothing to show for it....

Edited by echo88

So....you cited a coach who was horrendous as analogous to firing a coach who is winning. And then you cited Pelini's firing which has put Nebraska in football in a downward spiral after enjoying nothing less than 9-10 win seasons. Now, the real kicker with Nebraska is those dumba$$es firing Frank Solich who, except for one season, enjoyed 10,11, and 12 win seasons.

But, if you insist, Dave Clawson is the answer.

So....you cited a coach who was horrendous as analogous to firing a coach who is winning. And then you cited Pelini's firing which has put Nebraska in football in a downward spiral after enjoying nothing less than 9-10 win seasons. Now, the real kicker with Nebraska is those dumba$$es firing Frank Solich who, except for one season, enjoyed 10,11, and 12 win seasons.

Lol Solich inherited a team that had just won a national championship. Must be nice.

The program consistently regressed once he took the helm...he posted decent records while losing all the big games (sound familiar?)....and eventually sh|t the bed completely once all that Osborne's leftover talent dissipated and Frank's inability to recruit/develop players was revealed....

Lol Solich inherited a team that had just won a national championship. Must be nice.

The program consistently regressed once he took the helm...he posted decent records while losing all the big games (sound familiar?)....and eventually sh|t the bed completely once all that Osborne's leftover talent dissipated and Frank's inability to recruit/develop players was revealed....

The attached does not support your assertion.

2051164098_NERecords.thumb.JPG.58e295cf55d164fb2311d39014347771.JPG

From 1963 until 2003, Nebraska finished in the top 20 all but 3 years. Think of that. They were a top 20 team 37 out of 40 years.

For all of the Pelini wins, he finished top 20 one time in 7 years. They decided that wasn't up to standard and fired him. Who cares in they went into a spiral after that. Pelini had 7 years to live up the standard and didn't do it. So they let someone else have a chance. When he didn't, they moved on again.

ND should have a standard. Compete for National Titles. Maybe that isn't possible. We know Kelly can't do it. I'd rather try for someone who can vs. winning 10, 11 or how many games knowing you can't beat the top teams.

The attached does not support your assertion.

It does, actually. The biggest game he won was in the first season after the Huskers just won a title. Then he still does well from a W-L standpoint, but continues to lose to the rivals that the Huskers had become accustomed to beating (OU, KSU, UT) and ultimately the wheels fall off the wagon after the 3rd season when all the talent Tom compiled had left.

I'd much rather have a new coach take a team from underachieving to consistent wins than a coach who inherits greatness and permits it to fall into oblivion.

Granted, Tom's shoes were big ones to fill, but there was absolutely no indication that Frank was going to maintain that kind of success as his seasons unfolded...1–9 record on the road against ranked teams.

Someone should create a contest to see who can predict the date we will see the following headline "Jurkovec appears in transfer portal"

He won't transfer unless he can escape before BK completely ruins him. He's seen what happened to Zaire and Golson when they transferred....

Why won't Kelly get Jurkovec reps?

ND recovered a fumble with just under 13 mins left in the 4th, up 31-7... That was the moment to put him in. He would have gotten three series as opposed to one meaningless possession where we were just running the clock out.

Of all the catches, Kelly's catch 22 is the worst.

We could be good next year but we won't beat Clemson or other real teams without a real QB. Book is a best case scenario Daniel Ruettiger. Love the hustle but not the guy to take us to the next level.

And we'll never know with PJ if he doesn't get a real shot.

That's on Kelly. 1000%.

You’re right. There is definitely the possibility we get a coach who fails. But, trying to be great in anything in life takes risks. It takes people stepping out of the norm and willing to take that chance to be great and not be ordinary. That is why it’s difficult. I’m willing to take that chance.

Also, I’d be ok with what you listed above if it meant we actually showed up and won big games. But we never do under BK and that is a real issue I have with him. Who cares if you go 10-2 or occasionally 12-0 if you literally beat no one!!

Or at the very least not getting obliterated by some mediocre team on the road would help too. I'm fine with 10-2 seasons, but throwing in the embarrassments that we saw at Miami and michigan is too much. I'm a realist and get he isnt going anywhere and I'm not someone who expects playoffs yearly or to compete with Alabama Clemson or ohio state. But I dont feel like it's too much to ask to either not get blown out by the Miami's/michigans OR occasionally win 1 big game. It would be a lot easier to take the embarrassment in ann arbor if they wouldve beaten georgia or Clemson a few years back.

Why won't Kelly get Jurkovec reps?

ND recovered a fumble with just under 13 mins left in the 4th, up 31-7... That was the moment to put him in. He would have gotten three series as opposed to one meaningless possession where we were just running the clock out.

Of all the catches, Kelly's catch 22 is the worst.

We could be good next year but we won't beat Clemson or other real teams without a real QB. Book is a best case scenario Daniel Ruettiger. Love the hustle but not the guy to take us to the next level.

And we'll never know with PJ if he doesn't get a real shot.

That's on Kelly. 1000%.

He probably learned from that Pitt game when Wimbush was a freshman where Wimbush single handedly let Pitt back into the game despite us being wayyyyy ahead at the start of the fourth.

Or at the very least not getting obliterated by some mediocre team on the road would help too. I'm fine with 10-2 seasons, but throwing in the embarrassments that we saw at Miami and michigan is too much. I'm a realist and get he isnt going anywhere and I'm not someone who expects playoffs yearly or to compete with Alabama Clemson or ohio state. But I dont feel like it's too much to ask to either not get blown out by the Miami's/michigans OR occasionally win 1 big game. It would be a lot easier to take the embarrassment in ann arbor if they wouldve beaten georgia or Clemson a few years back.

We did beat Michigan the year before.and we do have 8 top 25 wins in the last 2.5 years. You act like we never win any big games. They're only big games when we lose. The 8 top 25 wins, of course none of them were big

I know you weren't asking me, but I have met Fleck. Played against him in high school sports.

We had one black kid in our school who was on our basketball team. Fleck used a few racial slurs towards him during the game.

He could win a title at ND and I'd **** on his statue.

Damn. That is jacked up, but it is a moot point now since he resigned at his school.

We did beat Michigan the year before.and we do have 8 top 25 wins in the last 2.5 years. You act like we never win any big games. They're only big games when we lose. The 8 top 25 wins, of course none of them were big

You're right beating 6-6 Stanford and virginia tech last year is on par with beating Clemson and Georgia which is what I was referring too. I mean getting one of those wins where we were so close against Georgia x2 Clemson or fsu is what it would take to offset those horrendous losses. Kelly has arguably 3 good wins in 10 years. Oklahoma in 12 michigan state in 13 and michigan last year. That's not good enough in a decade

You should let the entire stock of the ESPN 300 know, because the goal of the overwhelming majority of those kids is to land in the NFL. They're attending college because it's a prerequisite to getting drafted.

I’m talking about normal students, not athletes