Our scheduled opponents really came through for us yesterday

Green Goblin

Pathetic Michigan squeaked past #14 Iowa and are 4-1

Stanford beat Washington and are 3-3

VT beat Miami to improve to 3-2

Navy beat Air Force and are 3-1

The only opponent that stubbed their toe was Duke losing to Pitt 33-30. Duke is 3-2.

If Michigan can somehow beat Penn State on the road the week before, ND’s game against Michigan will be huge in terms of getting ND more seriously in the Playoff conversation.

If Michigan can somehow beat Penn State on the road the week before, ND’s game against Michigan will be huge in terms of getting ND more seriously in the Playoff conversation.

Even if ND runs the table and finishes with the 1 loss the lack of winning a conference championship will cook their chances of being in the Final 4. Plus their no show in the playoffs will weigh on the minds of the committee.

The best Notre Dame can hope for with 1 loss is a major bowl game.

Now if all the teams ranked ahead of ND finish with 2 losses then all bets are off. If Alabama, Clemson, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Georgia or LSU finish with 1 loss Irish are out.

Honestly, I’m ok with a big bowl game SO LONG AS WE WIN

That’s the next step I think on the road. Win a big bowl game against a major opponent again.

I’d LOVE to get another crack at Ohio State in a New Year’s Bowl this year. Love it.

That would be a terrible matchup, just like the previous matchups with Ohio State were. No worries as no one in the big ten will beat them.

Still hoping for playoffs but expecting our loss eliminates us. I am hoping for a potential matchup with Penn State, Wisconsin, Texas or Oregon. All big name schools that I think are winnable games.

That would be a terrible matchup, just like the previous matchups with Ohio State were. No worries as no one in the big ten will beat them.

Still hoping for playoffs but expecting our loss eliminates us. I am hoping for a potential matchup with Penn State, Wisconsin, Texas or Oregon. All big name schools that I think are winnable games.

Pretty much the only nightmare scenerios that I see are Ohio St., Clemson, and Bama. We just don't match up well enough. Or at least for 4 quarters.

I'd take everyone else, Auburn, Florida, and LSU from the SEC, Wisconsin, Penn St. from the b10, and either Texas or Oklahoma from the b12. Those would be my idea matchups if ND isn't playoff bound.

Even if ND runs the table and finishes with the 1 loss the lack of winning a conference championship will cook their chances of being in the Final 4. Plus their no show in the playoffs will weigh on the minds of the committee.

The best Notre Dame can hope for with 1 loss is a major bowl game.

Now if all the teams ranked ahead of ND finish with 2 losses then all bets are off. If Alabama, Clemson, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Georgia or LSU finish with 1 loss Irish are out.

In your scenario we'd have a good chance to get in over Clemson and Oklahoma

We really should try to slay the dragon of winning a major bowl game. Give us another stab against a SEC opponent or Big 10. I should clarify though, I do not want us to get Ohio State. Too many bad memories and this team is not ready for that.

If we went to the playoffs, I would not want another letdown if for any other reason than it solidifies we cannot play with the big boys of Bama and Clemson.

We really should try to slay the dragon of winning a major bowl game. Give us another stab against a SEC opponent or Big 10. I should clarify though, I do not want us to get Ohio State. Too many bad memories and this team is not ready for that.

If we went to the playoffs, I would not want another letdown if for any other reason than it solidifies we cannot play with the big boys of Bama and Clemson.

The problem is the Playoff Bowls this season (Fiesta Bowl and Peach Bowl). Notre Dame only has access to the Cotton Bowl and the Orange Bowl. In the Cotton Bowl, they'd play the highest G5 team (Boise State, SMU, Memphis, Cincinnati). In the Orange Bowl, they'd play the second best ACC team, assuming Clemson goes to the Playoff (Virginia, Duke, Wake Forest, Pittsburgh). Those aren't exactly the sexiest matchups, but at this point, I really don't care who ND plays. I am sick of the stat - "no major bowl victory since 1993."

The problem is the Playoff Bowls this season (Fiesta Bowl and Peach Bowl). Notre Dame only has access to the Cotton Bowl and the Orange Bowl. In the Cotton Bowl, they'd play the highest G5 team (Boise State, SMU, Memphis, Cincinnati). In the Orange Bowl, they'd play the second best ACC team, assuming Clemson goes to the Playoff (Virginia, Duke, Wake Forest, Pittsburgh). Those aren't exactly the sexiest matchups, but at this point, I really don't care who ND plays. I am sick of the stat - "no major bowl victory since 1993."

Interesting. I did not the exact bowl title-ins ND had this year.

Pretty much the only nightmare scenerios that I see are Ohio St., Clemson, and Bama. We just don't match up well enough. Or at least for 4 quarters.

I'd take everyone else, Auburn, Florida, and LSU from the SEC, Wisconsin, Penn St. from the b10, and either Texas or Oklahoma from the b12. Those would be my idea matchups if ND isn't playoff bound.

LSU scares the crap out of me. That offense is legit and their corners are shut down.

I would love to play Auburn - I think they're the most overrated team in the country and we would thrash them. Texas would be a nice win too.

LSU scares the crap out of me. That offense is legit and their corners are shut down.

I would love to play Auburn - I think they're the most overrated team in the country and we would thrash them. Texas would be a nice win too.

LSU’s corners are really good. But Texas and Ehlinger lit them up. Mainly their safeties. I think we will be a finished product by the end of the year. Also, factor in those SEC teams players tend to say goodbye to school for the draft when bowl season starts. They don’t play school. I’ll take our chances.

I also think Burrow is going to come back down to earth the rest of the season. He’s had his cupcakes and ate them too.

Ohio St is overrated garbage this year.

I’ll go so far as to say Michigan beats them this year.

You are out of your mind. Will prob be the most lobsided victory in the history of the rivalry....

*EDIT* Nevermind. In 1902 Michigan apparently won 86-0. Lol.

Edited by echo88

I’d be surprised if another ACC team finishes high enough in the ratings to qualify for a NY6 bowl and make the Orange Bowl.

I’d be surprised if another ACC team finishes high enough in the ratings to qualify for a NY6 bowl and make the Orange Bowl.

Unfortunately, they are guaranteed the Orange Bowl slot. The highest ranked ACC team available (i.e., not in the CFP) goes to the Orange Bowl. Their opponent is the highest ranked team from SEC/Big 10/ND that is not tied to a bowl. So, for example, even if LSU finishes higher than ND, they would be tied to the Sugar Bowl, so ND would be the highest available team for the other Orange Bowl slot.

This means that ND would play one of Virginia/Pittsburgh/Wake Forest/UNC/Duke, whichever of those teams is ranked highest, unless Clemson somehow misses the Playoff (then ND would play Clemson).