This has been the dullest season I can remember

Green Goblin

Outside of our big game at Georgia, Clemson’s scare against NC, and Texas/LSU, there really haven’t been any big and hard fought, close games all season.

Just dull blow outs between ranked teams and unranked teams for 5 or 6 weeks in a row.

Auburn/Florida today was very dull despite being close. Florida might be the most boring team I’ve ever seen. I hate that they won.

Then don't watch. You've overlooked LSU vs Texas, Oregon vs Auburn, numerous games if you can just appreciate a broader base. And who's complaining about an ND cake walk over inferior competition? Just a few seasons ago, people complained about ND playing down to the competition. Now we dominate and fans leave early. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Once the SEC gets deeper into the conference schedule, ND takes on USC, Stanford, things look pretty tenable. But gain some perspective in realizing the landscape has changed and no matter how hard ESPN and FOX try to schedule prime match ups, the difference between the haves and the have nots will continue.

Still better than the NFL...GO IRISH!

Then don't watch. You've overlooked LSU vs Texas, Oregon vs Auburn, numerous games if you can just appreciate a broader base. And who's complaining about an ND cake walk over inferior competition? Just a few seasons ago, people complained about ND playing down to the competition. Now we dominate and fans leave early. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Once the SEC gets deeper into the conference schedule, ND takes on USC, Stanford, things look pretty tenable. But gain some perspective in realizing the landscape has changed and no matter how hard ESPN and FOX try to schedule prime match ups, the difference between the haves and the have nots will continue.

Still better than the NFL...GO IRISH!

Agree with a lot here. I also understand what Green Goblin is saying too. Personally I hate the super conferences and like the old days with lots of independents and smaller conferences where you played everyone in them. The OOC games for a lot of teams are atrocious IMO, and our schedule looks pretty weak this season. I may be in the minority but I'd rather play foes we have a history with instead of MAC and MW teams run by former assistants. Playing Purdue and Michigan State would've been more satisfying to me, given our histories.

I haven't been able to watch much CFB this year outside of the Irish due to my extra work schedule. I loved being able to watch a full slate of games all day from noon until midnight, as long as it was college football I didn't care.

I watched football all day yesterday for the first time in a long, long time. The thing that stuck out to me is how similar, with a few exceptions, all the offenses are. Most are spread offenses throwing the same short passes to the sidelines and crossing routes. It would be more fun if there was a wider variety of offense, but college football is a minor league for the NFL and all the major programs have decided that it's in their best interests to pander to athletes NFL aspirations than do something different to make their offense different.

It seems some of the conferences have become very top heavy with the top teams getting richer. You've got Ohio State in the B1G, Clemson in the ACC, OK and maybe TX in the Big 12 and the Pac has a lot of mediocre teams.

So at the top, not a lot of intrigue for OSU until they face Wisconsin, none for Clemson until the playoff. The best Big 12 game figures to be OU / TX next week and probable rematch in the conference championship.

At least in the SEC a few other very good teams have emerged that can challenge Alabama: LSU, Auburn, Georgia and Florida.

I honestly haven't been watching this season. I mentioned it in another thread, but my doctor says I need to get rid of unnecessary stress (among other things) and Notre Dame Football was deemed unnecessary stress lol

But damn, we're already mid-season!

Also, other than a flashy recruit here and there, I haven't followed recruiting at all really since the 2017 class

Scheduling is still weak as **** across the country. We are what, 5/6 weeks in and you can count the number of decent match ups on one hand. It's not great.

We should never be playing Bowling Green or any of the other mid majors. If college football is a business with tv ratings and ticket sales in mind, then they’d get rid of these games.

Just make a super conference and have the games everyone wants to see. Imagine ND/Texas, Oregon/Michigan, LSU/OU, Clemson/Wisconsin, etc....

These type of games every week would do wonders for the business as well as the development of these players. This could be coming with players being able to profit off their name and likeness, but I for one am getting tired of all these sleeper games.

We should never be playing Bowling Green or any of the other mid majors. If college football is a business with tv ratings and ticket sales in mind, then they’d get rid of these games.

Just make a super conference and have the games everyone wants to see. Imagine ND/Texas, Oregon/Michigan, LSU/OU, Clemson/Wisconsin, etc....

These type of games every week would do wonders for the business as well as the development of these players. This could be coming with players being able to profit off their name and likeness, but I for one am getting tired of all these sleeper games.

The people who set the schedules are interested in becoming bowl eligible. Scheduling cupcakes early in the season just about guarantees playing in a bowl games after the season ends. Big $$$ in bowl games and the extra practice carries over for the next season.

The people who set the schedules are interested in becoming bowl eligible. Scheduling cupcakes early in the season just about guarantees playing in a bowl games after the season ends. Big $$$ in bowl games and the extra practice carries over for the next season.

I know... but in the scenario I brought up I think the bowl/playoff system would look vastly different.

I don’t think we’re that far off for a major switch in college football, sooner or later it will look like semi pro football. I keep seeing the same teams in the top ten every year for the last decade, just let them play it out and give the fans something to watch. At the very least divide the mid majors from the power 5 conferences and force actual OOC games

Edited by ndomer4

I think excitement for the season begins today.

Not just at ND, but across the country.

Getting a little deeper into the conference schedules.

Better matchups. I am expecting a few upsets today (hopefully not in South Bend).

There just haven't been many upsets. Seems like usually by this time there have been several. It would be more exciting if conferences started conference games before the 4th week of the season.

THIS is what a good damn week of CFB looks like

Texas/Oklahoma down to the wire

SCar/Georgia down to the wire

Michigan/Illinois to the wire

Temple/Memphis to the wire

Virginia/Miami to the wire

Still a bunch of big games to come, too.

You’re either dumb as a rock or blind as a bat if you think any other week this season has been remotely close to this interesting.