Report: NFL could gauge Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly's interest

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay... then if you had a say in the matter of who replaced him, who would you replace him with, or target

Since Kelly is "safe" for at least two more years, does not really matter about current candidates. He might not be the coach to win a championship but it is doubtful that ND will make a Doug Collins/Phil Jackson type of move.

Okay... then if you had a say in the matter of who replaced him, who would you replace him with, or target

It doesn't matter who I want or who the man in the moon wants. I'm sure Jack has a list already compiled incase something tragic happens to Kelly or when/if Kelly decides to leave.

We may not agree with who is on the list but don't think for one minute that a list does not exist.

One and two loss seasons may be exciting to some but I’ve seen enough the last five or six years to know that if I personally am losing the spark about the same old Notre Dame football... others are too. I want something fresh - I want some new blood and a different approach... perhaps I want an administration that also wants to get over the hump... that is willing to spend whatever it takes to get someone in here who can light the fires of more than just the candles in the Grotto... I want swagger and attitude... I don’t just want pumped in smoke coming from a repainted tunnel. That’s what the last few years have been. Smouldering smoke on a nearly extinguished fire in my heart - and yours.

One and two loss seasons may be exciting to some but I’ve seen enough the last five or six years to know that if I personally am losing the spark about the same old Notre Dame football... others are too. I want something fresh - I want some new blood and a different approach... perhaps I want an administration that also wants to get over the hump... that is willing to spend whatever it takes to get someone in here who can light the fires of more than just the candles in the Grotto... I want swagger and attitude... I don’t just want pumped in smoke coming from a repainted tunnel. That’s what the last few years have been. Smouldering smoke on a nearly extinguished fire in my heart - and yours.

Brah-vo......

I'll happily accept a temporary drop off in the W column to see what a fresh coat of paint can do for this program. Right now we know what we have and, while it's somewhat productive, it's also boring, inconsistent, and not the least bit intimidating.

Edited by echo88
Brah-vo......

I'll happily accept a temporary drop off in the W column to see what a fresh coat of paint can do for this program. Right now we know what we have and, while it's somewhat productive, it's also boring, inconsistent, and not the least bit intimidating.

I guess i have too many bad memories of Davie, Ty, Weis years, which are the majority of my adult life.

One and two loss seasons???

Actually in the last 6 seasons Kelly has averaged 4 losses per year:

4 losses

5 losses

3 losses

8 losses

3 losses

1 loss

So you might actually keep your spark going if Kelly managed to only loss 1 or 2 games a year instead of averaging 4 losses.

I guess i have too many bad memories of Davie, Ty, Weis years, which are the majority of my adult life.

Yeah plus the one similar scenario I would bring up in 2014 and 2016 was Nebraska and Bo Pelini. Turns out it got a lot worse than 9 wins a year for them.

I think we can attract a top tier coach now with what Kelly has built, but I’m not sure a Chris Peterson or Meyer would come here.

I still like the gamble on Lea, if he’s as smart as he seems I’m sure he can figure out how to be a head coach. Still a big gamble when you’ve never ran the show however.

Yeah plus the one similar scenario I would bring up in 2014 and 2016 was Nebraska and Bo Pelini. Turns out it got a lot worse than 9 wins a year for them.

I think we can attract a top tier coach now with what Kelly has built, but I’m not sure a Chris Peterson or Meyer would come here.

I still like the gamble on Lea, if he’s as smart as he seems I’m sure he can figure out how to be a head coach. Still a big gamble when you’ve never ran the show however.

True, but Pelini had issues beyond not winning enough games.

Old, old, old... I want someone in touch with what these kids need to succeed...

I wonder sometimes how a young, energetic, successful coach would handle the strict academic restrictions ND has in place....

I can't think of any young, successful coaches who have recently taken the helm at a school that puts education ahead of success on the field....

Not to say they couldn't....I just wonder....

Edited by echo88

What??? We have a very good chance to win 10+ games for the third straight year. If anything the recent success should have ignited your spark for ND football. There is finally a reason to believe that sustained success has been achieved and ND will be relevant for the foreseeable future. This is the strongest the program has been in 25 years and you are whining?

Some of you are completely clueless.

What??? We have a very good chance to win 10+ games for the third straight year. If anything the recent success should have ignited your spark for ND football. There is finally a reason to believe that sustained success has been achieved and ND will be relevant for the foreseeable future. This is the strongest the program has been in 25 years and you are whining?

A team takes on the personality of the coach. Kelly is a good coach...ND is a good team. If ND had a great coach, ND would be a great team.

The team and its fans have become complacent. People are happy with the results they are seeing on the field and think it can't get any better because Kelly is the best coach available and because of ND's strict academic requirements.

Kelly doesn't strive to get better because he knows his job is safe. As long as no one (who matters) complains Kelly can stay for as long as he wants and the fans will keep getting seasons with high expectations and being let down at seasons end.

And some of you are abrasive for the sake of it. Goal one should be to compete for a national championship. I have zero confidence Kelly has what it takes to lead this, or any squad, to the promised land. Something is missing from the current regime and I’m content to move on at this point because I’ve seen how the rest of these ten+ win seasons conclude...

Perhaps some of you are completely complacent...

It dawned on me earlier this season, I'm in my 50th year of celebrating and being a fan of Notre Dame. Through the years, I've laughed, cried, been to countless games, seen the best and worst of everything ND football has experienced and never wavered in cheering the players and coaches on to victory.

I've watched the recruiting and TV markets change the game dramatically and what was once a distinct advantage to ND has been neutralized more than many on this Board realize. Conference realignment, ESPN and recently FOX, taking over the scheduling, pouring billions of $$ into the game, bringing ever increasing numbers to a national TV Audience. Recruits who wanted to play on TV had only a handful of schools to pick from since so few were on TV other than the local channel. Catholic school pipelines, Moeller, St. Edward, Mater Dei, etc essentially directed their talent to South Bend...No more. I guarantee the success achieved by Leahy, Parseghian, Holtz would be challenged in today's landscape. People forget or too young to understand Holtz was fired though given the chance to resign. Yet he's got a statue in front of the stadium.

What Kelly has been able to resurrect should earn the respect of any ND fan. Southern powers, Bama, Clemson, GA have more recruits within a 2 hour drive than ND could remotely count on. They're glorified and not forced to maintain the academic excellence which historically set ND apart. And while coaches and players move on, the one consistent element which has remained is the President and Executive leadership are priests. Given the Mission of maintaining the standards and protocols 99%+ of universities across the country never worry about. Why ND will forever be challenged to maintain a standard of excellence, year in and out and what I feel is the most important element missing when fans on this Board continually complain. I'm fortunate. I've seen ND Walk off the field, crowned as the Champion and know many have not been able to enjoy the experience. But Kelly has beaten the odds to keep ND in the conversation, I saw this morning ESPN already announced Game Day is going to Ireland next year for the ND vs Navy game. Pretty solid confirmation as to ND in the limelight and why many don't understood just how good things are. Great? Sometimes and agree the consistency needs to established but despite losing, ND has been in a Championship game and playoff last year. Top 10 team, Top 10 recruiting classes....wish more people could enjoy the FUN of being an ND fan, appreciate the peripheral and support the Team. GO IRISH!

This. I guess that's the perks of arm chair AD'ing. You can push for something to happen that may not make sense and if it doesn't work out you can second guess is several years down the road. Does Kelly have swagger? Not at all, I don't mind it either. There's no guarantee's when it comes to making a young innovative coach hire, for every Lincoln Riley you have 10 Lane Kiffin's, Steve Sarkasian's, Jon Embree's etc. It's a lot of work to build up any successful CFB program, it's even more work to do it at Notre Dame. It doesn't take much, like too many visits to the golf course, for the program to fall flat on it's face. We've consistently recruited better and better each year in certain areas that we've struggled with in the past. We have some difference makers coming in on offense, if we could do the same at corner we'd be in business to legitimately make a run. We aren't that far away. I have no interest in rolling the dice at this time. If we can't even remotely come up with a legit list of options to take Kelly's place, then we probably aren't having the proper conversation.

Top 10 team, Top 10 recruiting classes...

Top 10 Team?

Top 10 Recruiting Classes?

Brian Kelly has finished unranked 4 times, Top 10 twice and 11 to 20 three times. Despite having never recruited worse than #17 over nine years, he has only finished ranked in the top 17 teams four times (less than half).

For recruiting, he is averaging the #12.1 ranked class and his last class at #16 (2019) was his second lowest ranked recruiting class as ND's head coach.

What is frustrating is that Brian Kelly is a very good coach but not a great coach. He also seems to putting less time into recruiting than he did when he first started at ND and I believe the results reflect that.

His two best recruiting classes followed his first and third seasons as ND's coach. Since then his recruiting has gotten slightly worse. Perhaps due to him having the "coldest seat" in the country, he decided to relax and not work as hard. It is probably not a coincidence that he had his third and fourth best recruiting classes after the wake-up call and subsequent coaching "reboot" following the 2016 disaster of a season

Unfortunately the goodwill created by the 2017 and 2018 seasons seemed to take the pressure off him and he slipped to his second worst class with the 2019 recruiting class.

Regardless of all of the above, Brain Kelly will not be fired anytime soon. Winning at least 9 or 10 games this year will give him at least another 2 or 3 years as ND's coach. As fans, it would be nice to see Kelly elevate his results up a notch. Maybe he will figure out how to have a QB improve in year 2 as a starter. Maybe he will work harder and more effectively as a recruiter. Maybe he will outcoach someone and win his first "big game" since 2012 or 2013.

I'm always hesitant about mega-assistants who have never been head coaches before, but what about Brent Venables? He's older, but he seems like Dabo, Urban, and Pete in that he has energy beyond his years that tends to electrify his players...and is able to relate to them on a personal level.

I'm always hesitant about mega-assistants who have never been head coaches before, but what about Brent Venables? He's older, but he seems like Dabo, Urban, and Pete in that he has energy beyond his years that tends to electrify his players...and is able to relate to them on a personal level.

That's the hard part. There is no tried and true method that produces great coaches every time. Kelly had a great resume before ND. He's been pretty good, not great. Urban Meyer had a similar resume before Florida and he is a legend.

Charlie Strong was the uber-assistant and he's been very average. Bob Stoops was the Uber-assistant and he's a legend.

Dabo Swinney went from WR coach at Clemson with one year as OC to HC and legend. Other WR coaches and OC's go nowhere.

Saban was pretty average at Michigan St and went on to become a legend. Ty Willingham was pretty good at Stanford and was terrible.

If it was easy to pick out the next legend, everyone would do it. We can speculate all we want, the next legend is out there. Someone just needs the balls to name him head coach.

Lots of guys wanted PJ Fleck. He's been very average at Minnesota.

I'm with the group who's willing to fail to try and obtain the next legend, rather than staying pretty good, but never elite. What's the point of winning 10 games a year if you never win the title?

If the choice was Kelly and 10+ wins for the next 8 years, but no titles or some new guy who will either never win 10 games or win 2 titiles in 5 years and I'm taking the chance on the new guy every time.

Edited by corysold