Denson Officially Named Head Coach at Charleston Southern

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">It's been a heckuva ride...from all-time leading rusher to CFP and now head coach...congrats <a href="

">@autrydenson</a> and family.<br><br>Love thee forever! <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/GoIrish?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#GoIrish</a> ☘️ <a href="https://t.co/QgsRgXDibb">pic.twitter.com/QgsRgXDibb</a></p>— Notre Dame Football (@NDFootball) <a href="
">January 14, 2019</a></blockquote>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Charleston Southern has named Notre Dame running backs coach Autry Denson as its next head coach. Press conference set for Wednesday.</p>— Pete Sampson (@PeteSampson_) <a href="

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Now it's time to get an elite recruiter.

Glad for him but it is a pain that ND had become a coaching rest stop. I saw Mike Hart's name pop up. I can't even fathom that.

I think this is a bit different - he is taking a head coaching position, not making a lateral move. It actually sounds like this might be a good thing for Denson and ND - I think BK knows he needs an elite recruiter.

I saw Hart mentioned, but the main guys I've seen thrown around are Charles Huff from Mississippi State, Curtis Luper from TCU, and Tony Alford, although I don't know if he'd leave OSU since he has the title of Assistant Head Coach.

All three of those guys would elevate ND's recruiting. Denson was a great position coach, but he clearly couldn't get it done in recruiting. ND's running backs room lacks elite talent - really need to get a Top 100/Top 50 guy this cycle.

I think this is a bit different - he is taking a head coaching position, not making a lateral move. It actually sounds like this might be a good thing for Denson and ND - I think BK knows he needs an elite recruiter.

I saw Hart mentioned, but the main guys I've seen thrown around are Charles Huff from Mississippi State, Curtis Luper from TCU, and Tony Alford, although I don't know if he'd leave OSU since he has the title of Assistant Head Coach.

All three of those guys would elevate ND's recruiting. Denson was a great position coach, but he clearly couldn't get it done in recruiting. ND's running backs room lacks elite talent - really need to get a Top 100/Top 50 guy this cycle.

Yeah it's not a lateral move, it's an upgrade for any position coach that wants to be a HC with one of the big boys in the future. A lot of smaller/lesser known schools serve as stepping stones to HC jobs at more well known programs.

Charleston Southern is also in good recruiting territory, where some quality players may slip through the cracks because they're not recruited as heavily by the big boys. Good move for him IMO. Good luck as well.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I want to repeat this... no Notre Dame running back has lost a fumble since November 21, 2015. Thank you! Thank you!! Thank you <a href="

">@autrydenson</a> !!! <a href="https://t.co/2Shd6V9ktd">pic.twitter.com/2Shd6V9ktd</a></p>— One Foot Down (@OneFootDown) <a href="

I get the recruiting knock but this has to be recognized too. Denson's backs valued that football.

Just by Listening to this Athletic Director speak, I feel that Denson saw similar Faith based values as a major selling point for this job.

I've read Autry's twitter feed for the retweets thread and Denson is a man of strong faith.

Very true. This is a good fit for him, no doubt.

Huff of Miss St just got gobbled up by Saban as Alabama's RB coach

Just by Listening to this Athletic Director speak, I feel that Denson saw similar Faith based values as a major selling point for this job.

I've read Autry's twitter feed for the retweets thread and Denson is a man of strong faith.

LOVE reading this. Keep making us proud, Autry! You are a true ND man!

Sounds like it's down to two candidates for the RB Coaching job: Mike Hart who is currently the RB Coach at Indiana (and former Michigan RB and ND killer) and Lance Taylor (RB coach for Carolina Panthers, former RB coach at Stanford from 2014-2016).

Reports that a decision will be made by next week.

Opinions on the options? I am not that familiar with them other than remembering Hart as a RB.

247 had a nice write up of each that I can't paste at the moment. It highlighted some of the recruits each pulled in (Hart - Samson James, Taylor - Bryce Love). Harder to tell how each would be from a coaching standpoint. Both have been in position coach roles mostly.

Opinions on the options? I am not that familiar with them other than remembering Hart as a RB.

Pete Sampson made a good point on the Irish Illustrated podcast this week regarding Hart v Taylor. Hart is an up and comer who has recruited well (getting Sampson James to Indiana), but Taylor coached at a place in Stanford that has similar academic hurdles to recruiting like ND and he still managed to recruit guys from Georgia, North Carolina, etc. He recruited Bryce Love and coached Christian McCaffery at Stanford and in the NFL.

I don’t really know anything about either other than what I’ve read or heard from ND insiders, but I’d say Taylor is my first choice. I do think Hart could be a really good coach and he would be a great recruiter at ND. But Taylor’s experience at Stanford could directly help RB recruiting at ND.