Bk on the bucs list

Hold your horses on this:

Tampa Bay Times' Rick Stroud passes along that Notre Dame HC Brian Kelly is not a candidate for the Buccaneers job.

Earlier on Wednesday, 670 The Score's David Haugh -- who also contributes to the Chicago Tribune -- reported that Kelly was a "coach of interest" for the Buccaneers. It looks like that might not be the case, or might not be the case to a notable degree. Stroud hears from sources close to Tampa's hiring process that Kelly is not among the coaches the Bucs are seriously targeting.

Haugh is a Jacka$$ to the nth degree. What a loser...

Yeah, that’s really smart. Run out a coach who just took the team to playoff and replace him with “I don’t know” what a stupid comment.

My thoughts exactly. I love people who walk in and throw a hand grenade in the room and then walk out without ever offering a solution. These types of people are never successful in life.

My thoughts exactly. I love people who walk in and throw a hand grenade in the room and then walk out without ever offering a solution. These types of people are never successful in life.

Clearly not experienced decision makers. Now, if you told me ND could sign Dabo, I’d pack Kelly’s bags and drive him to the airport.

I have no warm place in my heart for BK. However, I’m adult enough to give him credit for what he’s been able to do. Saturday did **** me off, if you weren’t pissed off, you’re not a true fan. However, you can’t ignore him getting to the playoffs in the first place.

Gee I wish I had met you sooner in my life. I've been married 40 years, worked for a major company for 35 years and retired at age 58. 2 children, 4 grandchildren. Living the dream everyday but according to you I'll never be successful in life.

You make me laugh.

There isn't a coach in CFB who could take such a hamstrung program further than an appearance in the playoffs. Considering the way competition, advantages, glitz, and glamour fuel the CFB championship race these days, you should simply accept that the days of ND titles are long gone unless the institution stooped to the same level (they won't).

Even I can set aside my personal distaste for BK long enough to soak up that fact.

If BK can notch double digit wins year in and year out (1st time he's done that 2 years in a row, btw) then I'd be fine with that.

Tallying 7-8 wins (or fewer) with the talent, resources, flexibility, power, and money ND has, however, is inexcusable.

But that didn't happen this year. Be thankful for a top 5 finish because there isn't a program in the top 10 that has anywhere near the restrictions we do...

This is a great post and is spot on.

The sooner ND fans come to this realization the better. The fact BK has gone undefeated twice in six years with the restrictions at ND is remarkable.

I want him to go somewhere else. I believe he is a much better coach than his Notre Dame legacy would have you believe even though he was just as many 12 win seasons as Lou Holtz**

Unless our administration allows to coach to bring in a crop of 5* dudes (think Aaron Lynch) we are not going to ever be competitive in the tournament.

12-0 ain't bad every few years tho.. something to tell the kids about one day.

I want him to go somewhere else. I believe he is a much better coach than his Notre Dame legacy would have you believe even though he was just as many 12 win seasons as Lou Holtz**

Unless our administration allows to coach to bring in a crop of 5* dudes (think Aaron Lynch) we are not going to ever be competitive in the tournament.

12-0 ain't bad every few years tho.. something to tell the kids about one day.

Unfortunately, no one will remember the 12 as much as the 1 that ended the season.

It’s a shame college football is what it is. The saddest part is that ND simply has no chance to win a NC in the current landscape. To beat Clemson and Alabama this year in back to back weeks would have been like hitting the lottery.

I just want to highlight that Kelly played 12 regular season games for all 9 of his ND seasons while Holtz played 11 regular season games except twice when he played 12 regular season games.

Despite playing seven fewer games, Lou's first nine seasons win totals were:

12,12,11,10.5 (tie) ,10,9,5

Kelly numbers:

If you adjusted for seven fewer games, Kelly might have had these results:

So Holtz to Kelly not really apples to apples

I just want to highlight that Kelly played 12 regular season games for all 9 of his ND seasons while Holtz played 11 regular season games except twice when he played 12 regular season games.

Despite playing seven fewer games, Lou's first nine seasons win totals were:

12,12,11,10.5 (tie) ,10,9,5

Kelly numbers:

If you adjusted for seven fewer games, Kelly might have had these results:

So Holtz to Kelly not really apples to apples

Thats why I put the asterisk.. I knew the objection was coming.

Urban Meyer at Notre Dame could have been the first time a coach died on live TV from having a stroke during a game.

He was 90-8 at tOSU and STILL doubled over in pain and on one-knee in 2018 at that place with THAT record...at ND he might have been the same as Ara or even Leahy; but with far worse medical condition, and more likely 10x the stress that even Frank Leahy felt due to the invasiveness of modern press coverage alone.

Meyer probably saved his own life by choosing to go to UF and then tOSU and never coaching at ND...

This is a great post and is spot on.

The sooner ND fans come to this realization the better. The fact BK has gone undefeated twice in six years with the restrictions at ND is remarkable.

Well....we are sorta in agreement here. My point was this---The best BK could do, in my eyes, is go undefeated during the regular seasons and I still think he has had the talent (and under-performing opponents) to do so more times than he has thus far.

Yes I understand that going undefeated is a difficult feat and yes I understand that we have restrictions. But we also recruit in the top 10 and don't have to worry about a conference championship. We all know there have been seasons where we could have (and should have) gone undefeated and woefully failed.

Still plenty of head-scratching losses, nail-biters against unranked teams, and underwhelming season tallies on BK's watch over the past decade.

I'm giving him credit for achieving back to back seasons with 10 or more wins. He hasn't done that before and it's all I've ever expected out of him since the day he was hired....

There isn't a coach in CFB who could take such a hamstrung program further than an appearance in the playoffs. Considering the way competition, advantages, glitz, and glamour fuel the CFB championship race these days, you should simply accept that the days of ND titles are long gone unless the institution stooped to the same level (they won't).

Even I can set aside my personal distaste for BK long enough to soak up that fact.

If BK can notch double digit wins year in and year out (1st time he's done that 2 years in a row, btw) then I'd be fine with that.

Tallying 7-8 wins (or fewer) with the talent, resources, flexibility, power, and money ND has, however, is inexcusable.

M

But that didn't happen this year. Be thankful for a top 5 finish because there isn't a program in the top 10 that has anywhere near the restrictions we do...[/quote

Echo...I’m worried about you

Edited by edcubby

M

But that didn't happen this year. Be thankful for a top 5 finish because there isn't a program in the top 10 that has anywhere near the restrictions we do...[/quote

Echo...I’m worried about you

It's absolutely true. In my vast history of belittling and critiquing BK, I've never once said I expect him to bring us a title. Never. In fact, I've explained in multiple threads spanning about 5 years the many reasons that we will never win a title again....regardless of who our coach is.

I've only expected him to show steady signs of improvement, beat teams he is supposed to beat (convincingly) and compete with teams he is on par with. Notch double digit win seasons because he should be able to with the talent and resources he has.

He has failed to deliver that in most of his seasons here at ND. But when he does, he's going to have my support. Last year I thought we'd win 8 games. We won 10. This year I thought we'd win 6 games. We won 12. That's battered wife syndrome for you.

Next year, if he only yields 8 or 9 wins, Ill be right back to hating him because I know we are better than that as a team and as a program.

A good coach here should be able to tally 10 or more wins each season. When they don't, it's time to question their suitability.

Edited by echo88

It's absolutely true. In my vast history of belittling and critiquing BK, I've never once said I expect him to bring us a title. Never. In fact, I've explained in multiple threads spanning about 5 years the many reasons that we will never win a title again....regardless of who our coach is.

I've only expected him to show steady signs of improvement, beat teams he is supposed to beat (convincingly) and compete with teams he is on par with. Notch double digit win seasons because he should be able to with the talent and resources he has.

He has failed to deliver that in most of his seasons here at ND. But when he does, he's going to have my support. Last year I thought we'd win 8 games. We won 10. This year I thought we'd win 6 games. We won 12. That's battered wife syndrome for you.

Next year, if he only yields 8 or 9 wins, Ill be right back to hating him because I know we are better than that as a team and as a program.

A good coach here should be able to tally 10 or more wins each season. When they don't, it's time to question their suitability.

Ten wins is very reasonable and I think most ND fans believe is possible. Even the occasional 9 win season I think fans would be ok with. But don’t you think with the right coach that ND can strike lightning in a bottle and get a NC sometime soon? What if ND has hired Pete Carroll, Saban or even Meyer when we had a chance? Think about Meyer being hired instead of BK. Don’t you think ND would of had one in the past 15 years by now? I do. And because of that, I strongly believe that with all the restrictions that ND has, ND can still win a NC. And because of this, I will hold my coach up to that standard.

By the way, congrats on 10,000 posts. Dinosaur..

Ten wins is very reasonable and I think most ND fans believe is possible. Even the occasional 9 win season I think fans would be ok with. But don’t you think with the right coach that ND can strike lightning in a bottle and get a NC sometime soon? What if ND has hired Pete Carroll, Saban or even Meyer when we had a chance? Think about Meyer being hired instead of BK. Don’t you think ND would of had one in the past 15 years by now? I do. And because of that, I strongly believe that with all the restrictions that ND has, ND can still win a NC. And because of this, I will hold my coach up to that standard.

By the way, congrats on 10,000 posts. Dinosaur..

No. Hell no. We aren't even close to having the same luxuries as the true contenders and we probably never will be. ND is a liberal school.

There is literally not a HC on the planet who could bring us a title right now. The fact that we had such exceptions the last time we won a championship is not a coincidence.

Lou left when the school changed. UM snubbed us when we refused to budge and revert to our previous ways of winning.

We are Duke or Vanderbilt but with more money, historical coattails, and the offering of national exposure on NBC for aspiring NFL players.....

I've only been a fan for twenty years and most of that time, BK has been the coach. I've been a football fan long enough(Almost 50 years) to know when a coach has hit his ceiling.

He's better than anyone else ND has brought in during that time but the school does this to themselves by offering contract extensions after the first hint of real success. I fully expect BK to be in SB through the end of his contract after the several failed experiments that they kept paying after they were gone because I don't think they want to go down that road again. On top of that, it would cost big $$$ to coax an elite coach to ND.

Barring a catastrophic collapse, he is here through the end of his contract.

I've only been a fan for twenty years and most of that time, BK has been the coach. I've been a football fan long enough(Almost 50 years) to know when a coach has hit his ceiling.

He's better than anyone else ND has brought in during that time but the school does this to themselves by offering contract extensions after the first hint of real success. I fully expect BK to be in SB through the end of his contract after the several failed experiments that they kept paying after they were gone because I don't think they want to go down that road again. On top of that, it would cost big $$$ to coax an elite coach to ND.

Barring a catastrophic collapse, he is here through the end of his contract.

You do realize only 3 schools in big time college football have an endowment fund larger than Notre Dame's right? Big time money is not the issue for this school.

It's in the billions buddy.. Paying someone 7 instead of 5 is not an issue. This school is self sufficient as the interest accruing on the principal balance far exceeds operating costs for the entire university let alone ticket sales, tuition, endorsements, and etc. The money is invested in hedge funds that you and I can not buy into because the minimum buy in is in the millions and they generate returns that greatly outpace the market.

You do realize only 3 schools in big time college football have an endowment fund larger than Notre Dame's right? Big time money is not the issue for this school.

It's in the billions buddy.. Paying someone 7 instead of 5 is not an issue. This school is self sufficient as the interest accruing on the principal balance far exceeds operating costs for the entire university let alone ticket sales, tuition, endorsements, and etc. The money is invested in hedge funds that you and I can not buy into because the minimum buy in is in the millions and they generate returns that greatly outpace the market.

Lol welcome back...

Lol welcome back...

What does Iron Mike say in hangover? We all say and do some **** when we're f**ked up?!?

My bad that really wasn't an attention grab but it kind of worked for yal clairvoyants on this board trying to figure out who was who.