Interesting objective view

Here's the South Bend Tribune's perspective

"The 538 yards that No. 2 Clemson dented the Irish defense for is the most yardage yielded by ND since Wake Forest gleaned 587 in a 48-37 scorefest won by the Irish on Nov. 4, 2017, and the sixth-most of the Brian Kelly Era overall.

The 248 yards the Irish offense labored for, in the lowest-scoring output of its 38-bowl game history, is the fourth-lowest offensive yardage total of the Kelly Era and least potent since the 113 the Irish put up in the 10-3 loss to NC State in 2016, played in the outer bands of Hurricane Matthew."

These stats largely bear out what I felt like I was watching. Clemson really took advantage of their opportunities whereas ND did not. Clemson has more explosive WRs and that was readily apparent in the 2Q.

Exactly my observation.

These stats largely bear out what I felt like I was watching. Clemson really took advantage of their opportunities whereas ND did not. Clemson has more explosive WRs and that was readily apparent in the 2Q.

Yeah, most of the time us fans can get by just using the eye test. These stats just verify it. We were fine in the first. After the overturn fumble and Love Gilman leaving the game, that’s when Clemson went deep and pushed ahead. After that our offense was stagnant and fumbled to get anything to materialize. It didn’t feel like a beat down until you look at the final score and say, “wow, that didn’t go as planned. Both my eyes are bleeding and swelled but I’m still standing and confused why the others guys face only has a few nicks. I thought I did better than this.”

Here's the South Bend Tribune's perspective

"The 538 yards that No. 2 Clemson dented the Irish defense for is the most yardage yielded by ND since Wake Forest gleaned 587 in a 48-37 scorefest won by the Irish on Nov. 4, 2017, and the sixth-most of the Brian Kelly Era overall.

The 248 yards the Irish offense labored for, in the lowest-scoring output of its 38-bowl game history, is the fourth-lowest offensive yardage total of the Kelly Era and least potent since the 113 the Irish put up in the 10-3 loss to NC State in 2016, played in the outer bands of Hurricane Matthew."

So Kelly's defense gave up the sixth most number of yards (538 ) of his nine year career and his offense only got the fourth lowest yards (248 ) for the same time frame but Kelly thought that game's outcome was due to four plays?

All I know is that I was screaming at my TV for someone, ANYONE, to rotate over to the slot WR on the 2nd of the 3 second quarter TD bombs...I could see it from my seat that there was one-on-one coverage and a HUGE disadvantage for the Irish...why could no one on the defensive staff see the same thing? I knew before the snap (and told my boy who was watching the game with me) that we were beat on the seam route and it was likely a TD. I took no joy at all in being right about it, just shocked that the staff was unprepared for that to such a degree.

Maybe Jullian Love being hurt and held out did have an outsized impact (and losing one of the best CBs in the nation would hurt ANY team), but there were matchup and formation and play calling errors that maximized the impact of losing Love for sure...

I'd hardly call it objective. It's Bama's opinion regarding reasons why they will steamroll the Tigers. They can compare stats all they want, but the ND/Clemson playoff game was just as lob-sided as we all observed. There is the eyeball test and the stat line. I rely on eyeball test 10/10 times.

I'm hammered and thats a lot of stats: deviations and shut. Watching it on the field (row 6) I didn't see a ND team that was outmatched physically like years past (2015, 2012, 2007, 2001) pretty much anytime we've played a new years 6 bowl after Lou Holtz.. I just saw a team that couldn't keep book upright in crucial moments and a defense that turned dudes loose at the absolute worst times imaginable and a coaching staff that believed their dudes could claw back and presented no immediacy to be aggressive in it's playcalling.