What's Their Record?

Sooo, if Dabo had been coaching at ND for the last 9 years: what do you think his record would be? Do you think he would have won a NC?

How about Meyer or Saban? I know there is obviously no way at all too know this, but I was wondering what ya'll felt about this. Do you think any of them would have won one or even multiple titles?

I think it is really hard to say. However, it is very telling the Urban loved ND so much but twice decided to go with the path of least resistance.

Damn, obviously the off-season is back...haha

Sooo, if Dabo had been coaching at ND for the last 9 years: what do you think his record would be? Do you think he would have won a NC?

How about Meyer or Saban? I know there is obviously no way at all too know this, but I was wondering what ya'll felt about this. Do you think any of them would have won one or even multiple titles?

I think it is really hard to say. However, it is very telling the Urban loved ND so much but twice decided to go with the path of least resistance.

Dabo would have never got the job. No previous head coaching experience.

Urban would do well but have gotten sick like Leahy. Competed for an NC

Saban- Would have left for the NFL because of the combination of athletics and academics required. He would competed for an NC

The athletics/academics argument is overrated and overhyped. It really isn’t that much. The difference is we don’t let guys cheat...thats all.

I don't know.

Tranquill gets a degree in Mechanical Engineering. Not a joke degree.

Higgins the Clemson "Academic All American" who we heard over and over did his degree in 2 1/2 years...got it in Athletic Leadership whatever the hell that is...a complete farce.

And if you watch any of the interviews with some of these 'Bama, OSU, LSU, Georgia type players...you can tell "they don't do school". The schools are just keeping them eligible to play ball, and could care less what happens to these guys when they don't make the NFL or get there and get injured, etc and are broke and have nothing to fall back on.

It is what it is. We are going to a gun fight with a knife.

Edited by TorontoCroatian

I don't know, but I do know this: Kelly never come within single digits

of a major bowl win and he's never come within single digits of covering the spread. That is despite the spread being double digits in half of his appearances. It would be interesting to see if Sweeney has underachieved vis-a-vis the spread like Kelly has.

Having worked in sports info and looked at all these guys’ files, it comes down to accountability more than it comes down to the difference in academics. We have the tooks to get any of them to succeed. Being a mechanical engineer is a choice. You could also be an FTT major or PoliSci major... Not real tough to get those degrees. Trust me...I know.

I think Saban would have won more than one championship at ND. He would have gotten 5 star recruits and higher 4 star recruits, few if any 3 star recruits, and he would have brought in and kept better assistants and coordinators. There are actually 5 star and high 4 star guys who are smart and could qualify to go to ND.

Kelly is okay. He has been very good for ND. They will have a statue of him on the campus some day.

But Saban would have done more methinks.

Saban would never have taken a job like this....this job has endemic restrictions on who and how you recruit that are NOT at the bama's , Lsu's and osu's

The idea that Saban or Dabo would be able to recruit25/ 30 or so 5 stars over 4 years to come to ND is FANCIFUL THINKING.....never could happen, too many strikes from the magic of south bend , the religion, the qualifications both grade point and test results....the real and intense academic demands....I mean come on....

the idea that any coach changes the ND culture and requirements to that of the current football factories and reels in 5 star after 5 star is IMHO a ridiculous proposition.

aloha

Saban would never have taken a job like this....this job has endemic restrictions on who and how you recruit that are NOT at the bama's , Lsu's and osu's

The idea that Saban or Dabo would be able to recruit25/ 30 or so 5 stars over 4 years to come to ND is FANCIFUL THINKING.....never could happen, too many strikes from the magic of south bend , the religion, the qualifications both grade point and test results....the real and intense academic demands....I mean come on....

the idea that any coach changes the ND culture and requirements to that of the current football factories and reels in 5 star after 5 star is IMHO a ridiculous proposition.

aloha

If you are referring to my post, I don’t think Saban would have brought in 5 star after 5 star, nor do I think he would have 25 or 30 5 star guys. I never said that and am sorry it seems you inferred that from my post. I do think he would have landed more 5 stars than Kelly has, probably quite a few more than the two or three Kelly has landed. But not 4 or 5 a year. Probably one a year. Maybe 2. And that would mean something. As I did say, there are 5 star guys who can qualify to go to ND. Right now they seem to choose to go where it’s easier academically, or where they like the coaches and program and university better.

The question wasn’t whether Saban would take the job. Of course he wouldn’t. The question was would that type of coach, had he indeed accepted the job, have done more than Kelly has. I think the program would be different and I think Saban would have done more at ND than Kelly has.

But again, of course Dani and Urbie and Nick would never take the job.

I was actually making a comment on this thread generally....alabama and Clemson have reeled in over 45 5 star players since 2014.....I think we have like 1....There is a reason why those teams are always in the playoffs and always winning.....yes I think the point can be made that there is a synergy between the coach and the 5stars and forgetting about ND its fair to say that if saban or dabo were not the coaches that many of those 5 stars would disperse among other football schools that suit their situation.....but nonetheless all those 5 star players ARE THE REASON they have so much success on the field.....

its fair to speculate I guess that if saban or urban were here many of those 8 win seasons likely would have been 9 or even 10 win seasons, and likely that 4 win season would never have occurred...but its NOT CORRECT to speculate that EITHER COACH could turn ND into a title contender every single year without ALL THOSE 5 STAR PLAYERS,,,

It is what it is....Recruiting at ND can be good it can be very good , we have LOTS TO OFFER....but it can never be a TOP 3 class every season with multiple 5 stars....just too many obstacles to saddle any coach with in my view.

aloha

If urban dabo or Saban took the job a decade ago they wouldve won more then kelly but I find it highly unlikely they wouldve won even 1 title. Kelly is a terrible big game coach, those guys wouldve won at least a couple of those games or at the very least would make us competitive in big time bowls.

That's kind of how I feel if we went and snagged a big coach after kelly is gone, could they win more? Yes but to expect that we'll become 1 of the elites is wishful thinking, sadly theres more to it then coaching

Hard to say if they would do better or not. Would they have their same coaching staff? Brent Venables is a HUGE part of Dabo's success at Clemson. Saban is a defensive guru, kind of like Belichick. I think they just plug in whoever and teach them to teach their system. I can't imagine that either coach would have a worse record than Kelly.

Dabo would have been a nobody so I can't imagine that he would recruit better than Kelly, unless he's just a dynamo in the living room. He certainly has a lot of energy, which is what I think ND needs. Whenever it's time to look for the next coach it seems clear that unless stars align and a superstar coach leaves or quits a job when ND is in need of a superstar, that it will be difficult to land a superstar. ND needs to find a hungry and enthusiastic coach that knows what the hell he's doing. I don't follow the college coaching too closely so I have no idea who that coach is, and neither does ND I think. Swarbrick will ride Kelly until Kelly is ready to leave.

Urban did take the road of least resistance because ND would not allow him to take JC transfers or lower academics for football players with courses like basket weaving, you can find at Florida or OSU,

However BK was outcoached. Look no further than each teams last possession before the end of the first half.

Abso-lutely.

ND's last possession in the first half was a disaster. Did Kelly call those plays or did Long? It seemed to have Kelly's fingerprints all over it, but whoever called the plays on that series left the door wide open for Clemson to score another touchdown, which they promptly did.

Dabo @ ND would have been fired after 5 years and a mediocre, Weis-like record (35-27) or Daviesque (34-25).

Saban @ ND would have been on par with his results at Michigan State, solid, but unspectacular...also a very close to Weis-level record (Saban at MSU was 34-24-1...shockingly close to Davie or Weis in the final analysis...)

Meyer @ ND would have died of a stroke on the field or at practice in his third or fourth year.

The bottom line is this - ND still can and has had 'special' regular seasons (2012, 2018) but they lack the ability to maintain any kind of success in post-season match-ups against physically superior opponents with any kind of regularity - save the kind we have seen, the losing badly kind.

Dabo @ ND would have been fired after 5 years and a mediocre, Weis-like record (35-27) or Daviesque (34-25).

Saban @ ND would have been on par with his results at Michigan State, solid, but unspectacular...also a very close to Weis-level record (Saban at MSU was 34-24-1...shockingly close to Davie or Weis in the final analysis...)

Meyer @ ND would have died of a stroke on the field or at practice in his third or fourth year.

The bottom line is this - ND still can and has had 'special' regular seasons (2012, 2018) but they lack the ability to maintain any kind of success in post-season match-ups against physically superior opponents with any kind of regularity - save the kind we have seen, the losing badly kind.

This would imply that you believe Brian Kelly is the best coach in college football? Because in your mind he is better than those 3?