Kelly: Coach of the Year (AP)

Kelly received 16 of 58 first-place votes, the same number Saban received. But Kelly received 81 total points in the voting, while Saban got 66. First-year Central Florida coach Josh Heupel was third with 33 points (five first-place votes).

Kelly joins Saban and TCU’s Gary Patterson as two-time winners.

https://www.apnews.com/a89b873e02794371a194d5e0bcf20b62

Edited by NDNorm
Kelly received 16 of 58 first-place votes, the same number Saban received. But Kelly received 81 total points in the voting, while Saban got 66. First-year Central Florida coach Josh Heupel was third with 33 points (five first-place votes).

Kelly joins Saban and TCU’s Gary Patterson as two-time winners.

https://www.apnews.com/a89b873e02794371a194d5e0bcf20b62

Borrowed from Cash on NDN:

To put this award in context, number of AP coach of the year awards won in the last 10 seasons:

Nick Saban: 0

Urban Meyer: 0

Brian Kelly: 2

Lifetime:

Nick Saban: 2 (03, 08 )

So Saban has not been deemed deserving of this award as coach of the year, for any of his seasons in the last ten years when he has gone 126-12 with 5 national championships. He actually last won it in 2008 when his team finished ranked sixth.

Borrowed from Cash on NDN:

To put this award in context, number of AP coach of the year awards won in the last 10 seasons:

Nick Saban: 0

Lifetime:

Nick Saban: 2 (03, 08 )

So Saban has not been deemed deserving of this award as coach of the year, for any of his seasons in the last ten years when he has gone 126-12 with 5 national championships. He actually last won it in 2008 when his team finished ranked sixth.

Interesting to think about. On one hand, that's an amazing accomplishment. But on the other hand, hasn't he had pretty much the best roster every year as well? Is it a great coaching job if you do what is expected? I understand he puts the team together, but I get the sense that this is just an "in-season" award, what you do for 12 weeks, not the other 40.

You could argue Saban should win the title every year and any year he doesn't is a failure.

Interesting to think about. On one hand, that's an amazing accomplishment. But on the other hand, hasn't he had pretty much the best roster every year as well? Is it a great coaching job if you do what is expected? I understand he puts the team together, but I get the sense that this is just an "in-season" award, what you do for 12 weeks, not the other 40.

You could argue Saban should win the title every year and any year he doesn't is a failure.

Shocked with all the love Kelly is getting this year from the usually negative ND press corps

The thing about that tough is unlike the NFL when coaches work with the roster they have (in tandem with providing input to the GM), college coaches build their rosters themselves by recruiting. Shouldn't that be part of the credit they get? That said, I'm surprised Saban wasn't recognized more. While his teams are uber talented every year, he seems to get them up for every game. They rarely fail to pound teams they should, they often pound teams in games that are supposed to be close (e.g. LSU this year), and nearly always win the big ones.

Saban plays for the real coach of the year award, a National Title. I doubt he gives two sh*ts about anything less.

Oh, I think guys like him are wired to win everything. I’m sure he’s a little butt hurt that he didn’t win. He’ll be motivated to play us if we both win out.