Early Signing Period 2019

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Recruiting has gotten kinda boring the last few years.

Sometimes that is a good thing after what has happened to us before. I like quiet times like this, besides, I think recruiting was getting a little out of hand and this early signing day has helped relieve that a little bit.

We are not losing anyone, we are the favorite for one more, and a player committed to another team delayed his signing with the only reason for doing so involves Notre Dame. This has been a good day for Notre Dame fans.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Interesting recruiting factoid.<br><br>Notre Dame has signed 29 Florida prospects during Brian Kelly’s first nine classes, which is slightly inflated by IMG.<br><br>The Irish didn’t sign a single Florida prospect today. Notre Dame’s class still came from 16 states.</p>— Pete Sampson (@PeteSampson_) <a href="

">December 19, 2018</a></blockquote>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

My quick take on this class so far is this is a great class. To me, this is the first year where everything has fully come together for ND. Bill Rees and Co. evaluating players earlier and identifying guys for secondary offers quickly. Then Balis and Co. providing input on guys the staff likes but questions physically for the college level. Sealed this class quickly.

This year, several of ND's lower ranked recruits dominated their competition and several led their teams to state championships. That is what you want to see if you take a player like that IMO.

QB: I think Clark is a solid player. Bigger than Book and probably a better arm. Had a tremendous senior season and progressed exactly as you want to see.

RB: I think Kyren is people than a lot of people were giving him credit for initially. Monster senior year. ND still does need to land an elite back at some point.

WR: "Low" point of the class but they got what they needed. These two fall into the long term category but Abdur-Rahman could be a steal. Combing these two with last years class and what is looking like a great 2020 class will be just fine.

TE: See the current roster and 2020 guys, ND made the right call with none.

OL: Great OL haul. Quinn and Correll are nasty. All enroll early. They need to land a couple true tackles in 2020 but are ok for now.

DL: Great DL haul especially if/when they officially land Foskey. The staff actually think Cross might be the steal of the DL. Had Spears not gotten re-injured his ranking would have improved.

LB: Very good class with high potential. Kiser and Liufau could turn out to be excellent additions. Bertrand is a bonus. If they land Turner then this is very a dynamic LB group.

CB: Two strong additions to the secondary. One has size, length and speed. The other is simply an athletic CB.

S: Awesome. Hamilton is fantastic and potential game changer. Litchfield's film is awesome to watch, he flies to the ball. Combining with the previous class the staff has a lot to work with at CB and S.

My potential steal of this class is Marist Liufau. I think he can be a special teams guy right way. He has a great attitude and demeanor on the field. If Balis can get his weight up and maintain his current abilities, watch out. The last time I was excited about a guy like this was Josh Adams, hoping I am right again.

Edited by Big23Head

Going off of what Big has already said:

If you are comparing this class to last year's, I would lean this class being better - for two reasons: Hamilton and EDGE rushers. Everything else is about equal overall.

QB: Clark is in the mold of Book, but with more height and arm strength. That is not to say he will ever be as good...just don't be surprised if two or three years down the road he's making a similar impact.

RB: Still need to land that one really elite back to pair with the OL hauls, but Williams is a better get than the 2-man class in 2018. Great hands and quickness. Should be an early contributor on offense.

WR: Intentionally a small class, and it was going to be hard to land the big fish after last year's class and the likelihood of the 2020 class also being very good. KAR has a ton of upside, however. Speed, speed, speed. Hart is a big physical receiver with a good downhill speed as well.

TE: See 2018 and 2019

OL: Correll and Carroll have potential to play very early on. The staff views these two in the same way they have viewed elite gets in the past. Kristofic is the only true tackle, his upside is also tremendous. Will likely take a few years though. Olmstead is a guard all the way.

DL: Starting to turn a weakness into a strength at DT. Lacey should form a very nice pairing with Jay Ademilola down the road. Spears and Cross offer solid depth options, and as big said the staff is much higher on Cross than the recruiting industry.

EDGE: Assuming Foskey joins, it is the best haul since 2016. NaNa and Foskey should form a very similar role as juniors as we see with Okwara, Hayes and Kareem.

LB: Back to back very good LB classes for Lea. Turner would be outstanding, but he is simply the icing on the cake at this point. Kiser and Liufau are underrated three-stars with tremendous athleticism overall. Bertrand reminds me of Matt Bauer. Ekwonu should be a multi-year starter. Similar athlete to Coney coming out of HS.

S: Hamilton is best player ND has landed since Jaylon. Would be surprised if he is here past his junior season. Ajavon could end up a very good run stuffing SS.

CB: Two was enough after last year's class, and ND found two really good athletes. Wallace is smaller height wise, but has great speed and toughness overall. Rutherford started showing interest later on than most kids in the class, but he has length and athleticism.

ST: Landing Bramblett is a huge relief for next season. Should start from day 1. Leonard will challenge Doerer for kicking duties next year.

I mostly agree with you Big:

QB: I like Clark and he has also all the physical skills similar to Book. I think PJ and Clark will have a similar dynamic as Wimbush and Book. Wimbush/PJ is the homerun swing while Book/Clark is the reliable double. Book is the right answer now, which will be the right answer in 2-3 years?

RB: Not that high on Kyren, but I think RB is a position that can be easily developed with college caliber coaches and weight-lifting program.

WR: This is where I disagree a little bit. I like Cam Hart quite a bit and KAR has potential to be a reliable guy.

TE: I absolutely agree. Im sure some will nitpick on this come February, but Notre Dame has plenty of good talent on the roster for the next couple years already and they have hit a grand slam for 2020. Meyer and Bauman are ELITE; Bauman legitimately looks like Gronk out there playing.

OL: I will say that my knowledge on what makes an OL good is lacking, but I will trust everyone else's knowledge. We landed 4 solid lineman, I guess the only thing missing here is that top 10 prospect overall/ 5* Olineman, but we cannot have everything can we.

DL: I am excited about this group, no absolute top tier studs, but plenty of solid talent for every position and I think Nana will be a pass rusher we will all respect by the end of his career. If Foskey joins this group, it only makes it better.

LB: With 4 additions (and a slight possibility of a 5th). Freak athleticism and hard work, there is plenty of potential in this group. Could end up being a stellar one.

CB: I am content with this group, no stand out 5*, but no one you look at and say "why him?"

S: Hamilton looks like the real deal, some even comparing him to Jaylon Smith (my favorite player). I wont go that far, but lets hope he lives up to the hype.

Edited by NDhoosier
My quick take on this class so far is this is a great class. To me, this is the first year where everything has fully come together for ND. Bill Rees and Co. evaluating players earlier and identifying guys for secondary offers quickly. Then Balis and Co. providing input on guys the staff likes but questions physically for the college level. Sealed this class quickly.

This year, several of ND's lower ranked recruits dominated their competition and several led their teams to state championships. That is what you want to see if you take a player like that IMO.

QB: I think Clark is a solid player. Bigger than Book and probably a better arm. Had a tremendous senior season and progressed exactly as you want to see.

RB: I think Kyren is people than a lot of people were giving him credit for initially. Monster senior year. ND still does need to land an elite back at some point.

WR: "Low" point of the class but they got what they needed. These two fall into the long term category but Abdur-Rahman could be a steal. Combing these two with last years class and what is looking like a great 2020 class will be just fine.

TE: See the current roster and 2020 guys, ND made the right call with none.

OL: Great OL haul. Quinn and Correll are nasty. All enroll early. They need to land a couple true tackles in 2020 but are ok for now.

DL: Great DL haul especially if/when they officially land Foskey. The staff actually think Cross might be the steal of the DL. Had Spears not gotten re-injured his ranking would have improved.

LB: Very good class with high potential. Kiser and Liufau could turn out to be excellent additions. Bertrand is a bonus. If they land Turner then this is very a dynamic LB group.

CB: Two strong additions to the secondary. One has size, length and speed. The other is simply an athletic CB.

S: Awesome. Hamilton is fantastic and potential game changer. Litchfield's film is awesome to watch, he flies to the ball. Combining with the previous class the staff has a lot to work with at CB and S.

My potential steal of this class is Marist Liufau. I think he can be a special teams guy right way. He has a great attitude and demeanor on the field. If Balis can get his weight up and maintain his current abilities, watch out. The last time I was excited about a guy like this was Josh Adams, hoping I am right again.

Agree with everything.

The OL and DL recruiting this year was lights out.

When Foskey commits (publicly) on NSD, that will be the cherry on top. Beating Texas outright for Nana this summer was huge. Lacey can contribute from day one. The staff is very high on Howard Cross. Don't know what to think of Spears since he has been injured more often than not in HS.

The OL class is one of the best in the country. All four are in the 247 Composite Top 250 (all Top 230). Love Carroll and Correll, though both probably end up inside (Correll for sure). Think Kristofic will be a good OT after 2-3 years with Balis.

It is huge that 7 of these guys (Nana, Lacey, Spears, Carroll, Correll, Kristofic, and Olmstead) are early enrollees. Get them with Balis and go to work.

I think ND has really recruited the back 7 well in back-to-back years.

Last year's LB class was great (Lamb, Simon, Bauer, now Allen). I think Ekwonu will be really good and Kiser will surprise people.

I remember when Hamilton committed as a three star and some were unimpressed. But if you looked at his offer list at the time, you could tell he was going to blow up. Borderline 5-star on 247 and Top 100 on Rivals. I would wager he moves up after the All American game.

Really good DB classes back-to-back. A lot of talent all around.

The only position groups that I am not as high on are RB and WR.

I think Kyren Williams can be a good college player. But he is not an every-down back. I see him being used like Jafar Armstrong - in the backfield and in the slot.

ND absolutely needs an elite RB in 2020. Maybe Chris Tyree after his comments about his most recent visit. But ND needs someone.

The WR group is mediocre - not trying to knock Cam Hart and KAR who I think will be good - but I don't see either of them in the same class as Kevin Austin or Chase Claypool. ND is in really good shape in 2020. Jordan Johnson, AJ Henning, Gee Scott, and Jalen McMillan could all pop for the Irish. That is some serious talent - Top 50 talent.

Brendon Clark had a really good senior year and won a state championship. I won't dismiss him at all just because of Jurkovec. Wimbush was the Top 100 player and Book was the three star. Look how that turned out.

Really like the additions of Jay Bramblett (P) and Harrison Leonard (PWO - K). They will really help next year. I have absolutely no faith in Doerer.

I really like this class in conjunction with the 2018 class. Both very solid. The 2019 class will have 16 four stars (maybe 17 if Asa flips) and 6 three stars. That is really good.

ND will probably finish outside the Top 10 this year in the class rankings. I think that's just how it is right now. BK went after a ton of high end talent his first few years and he wasn't always concerned with a guy being a ND fit. That showed itself in dismissals, transfers, burn outs, etc.

I think it is obvious the focus the last few years has been on finding guys who fit the university. That seems to come at the expense of going after some 5-star guys. ND can still land 5-stars, but the pool has shrunk. I think it has benefited the football program as a whole. BK and co are finding guys that are talented and fit ND. Less dismissals, less transfers, less attrition overall. Still need the elite talent - ND needs to capitalize on this season's success in the 2020 class - to be a regular in the CFP. But I like the focus on finding guys who are program fits.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">What kept <a href="

">@Cbad_Football</a> athlete <a href="https://twitter.com/asaturner20?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@asaturner20</a> from putting pen to paper on Wednesday morning? When does he plan on signing his <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/NLI?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#NLI</a>? Hear it from the man himself! <a href="https://t.co/hUPCE7nwg2">pic.twitter.com/hUPCE7nwg2</a></p>— Prep Pigskin Report (@KUSIPPR) <a href="
">December 20, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Agree with everything.

The OL and DL recruiting this year was lights out.

When Foskey commits (publicly) on NSD, that will be the cherry on top. Beating Texas outright for Nana this summer was huge. Lacey can contribute from day one. The staff is very high on Howard Cross. Don't know what to think of Spears since he has been injured more often than not in HS.

The OL class is one of the best in the country. All four are in the 247 Composite Top 250 (all Top 230). Love Carroll and Correll, though both probably end up inside (Correll for sure). Think Kristofic will be a good OT after 2-3 years with Balis.

It is huge that 7 of these guys (Nana, Lacey, Spears, Carroll, Correll, Kristofic, and Olmstead) are early enrollees. Get them with Balis and go to work.

I think ND has really recruited the back 7 well in back-to-back years.

Last year's LB class was great (Lamb, Simon, Bauer, now Allen). I think Ekwonu will be really good and Kiser will surprise people.

I remember when Hamilton committed as a three star and some were unimpressed. But if you looked at his offer list at the time, you could tell he was going to blow up. Borderline 5-star on 247 and Top 100 on Rivals. I would wager he moves up after the All American game.

Really good DB classes back-to-back. A lot of talent all around.

The only position groups that I am not as high on are RB and WR.

I think Kyren Williams can be a good college player. But he is not an every-down back. I see him being used like Jafar Armstrong - in the backfield and in the slot.

ND absolutely needs an elite RB in 2020. Maybe Chris Tyree after his comments about his most recent visit. But ND needs someone.

The WR group is mediocre - not trying to knock Cam Hart and KAR who I think will be good - but I don't see either of them in the same class as Kevin Austin or Chase Claypool. ND is in really good shape in 2020. Jordan Johnson, AJ Henning, Gee Scott, and Jalen McMillan could all pop for the Irish. That is some serious talent - Top 50 talent.

Brendon Clark had a really good senior year and won a state championship. I won't dismiss him at all just because of Jurkovec. Wimbush was the Top 100 player and Book was the three star. Look how that turned out.

Really like the additions of Jay Bramblett (P) and Harrison Leonard (PWO - K). They will really help next year. I have absolutely no faith in Doerer.

I really like this class in conjunction with the 2018 class. Both very solid. The 2019 class will have 16 four stars (maybe 17 if Asa flips) and 6 three stars. That is really good.

ND will probably finish outside the Top 10 this year in the class rankings. I think that's just how it is right now. BK went after a ton of high end talent his first few years and he wasn't always concerned with a guy being a ND fit. That showed itself in dismissals, transfers, burn outs, etc.

I think it is obvious the focus the last few years has been on finding guys who fit the university. That seems to come at the expense of going after some 5-star guys. ND can still land 5-stars, but the pool has shrunk. I think it has benefited the football program as a whole. BK and co are finding guys that are talented and fit ND. Less dismissals, less transfers, less attrition overall. Still need the elite talent - ND needs to capitalize on this season's success in the 2020 class - to be a regular in the CFP. But I like the focus on finding guys who are program fits.

Agree. Finding guys that fit the ND mold is the key. This is a grreat class!

So, if people want some Signing Day drama, just head over to the huskey board. Be warned though, strong adult language and plenty of anti-Catholic rhetoric.

The Washington Huskies? I like to be entertained. Which forum, I could use a laugh.

So, if people want some Signing Day drama, just head over to the huskey board. Be warned though, strong adult language and plenty of anti-Catholic rhetoric.

Yeah, it's pretty bad over there. All you need to know is the following post: "No one gives a **** about Notre Dame, you could ask 90% the people at whatever bahamas school you got your D.O. at and they couldn't even tell you that Notre Dame is in Illinois."

I like this class a lot also. Ending with Turner and Foskey would be nice. Fingers crossed. Very impressed with the defensive recruiting of late. Landing excellent balance and dline talent has definitely been upgraded for sure. We certainly have a gem in Clark Lea. Overall quite happy with this class and hope they end strong.