[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvN6HHuxHUM[/ame]

This game really interests me.

1. Elko's there.

2. final score was 28-26

So I want to:

Look at what Elko did, under 30 is a number I can live with.

What can ND learn from Elko's Gameplan?

Since I have a few weeks this is not a thread I'm going to rush.

Check back for updates X's O's that sorta thing!

Go Irish!

attachment.php?attachmentid=1276&stc=1&d=1544298571

As long as our offense is on the field Clemson's is not. What you see here is a 2nd and 6. Clemson is in Man, so the QB knows the DB's backs will be turned. Instead of forcing it into coverage Kellen Mond scrambles, gets his 6-8 yards and moves the chains.

I'm hoping Book can do this too, because as long as we can possess the ball the points stay down.

604481294_Clemsonman-to-man.thumb.jpg.674c63a91042c1e125aca0fb815162e0.jpg

I watched a lot of this game, and it was fairly close. It really does give me strong hope that ND can play/beat Clemson. I'm particularly interested in Lawrence's play and our dline. I feel that if they can get the pressure they have generated all season and do, at least, decent against the run it will set up well. Our secondary is loaded so I feel this would increase the chance Lawrence throws picks also.

Skimming through what I noticed as far as their defense goes - their DLine gets constant pressure. We're going to need Book to be agile and get out of the pocket.

Also, their secondary seems suspect. I expect our receivers to get open and Finke to be a pain in their ***. I think we need to expect to do some of those jump-screens that we used against USC right out the gate to keep them on their toes.

Skimming through what I noticed as far as their defense goes - their DLine gets constant pressure. We're going to need Book to be agile and get out of the pocket.

Also, their secondary seems suspect. I expect our receivers to get open and Finke to be a pain in their ***. I think we need to expect to do some of those jump-screens that we used against USC right out the gate to keep them on their toes.

Their dline is a bunch of monsters. Going to be quite tough. I imagine you'll see lots of quick passes to offset this. Book excels at this anyway. Make no doubt about it, our oline will have their hands full.

Absolutely love Chris Finke. He's my favorite ND receiver since Golden Tate.

attachment.php?attachmentid=1277&stc=1&d=1544327834

The play before this Elko called a zone Coverage and Lawrence threw it through his guys hands with a fastball causing a drop.

This Play Elko knows he has Lawrence a little hyped up, so he's going to show 5 man pressure with 2 linebackers coming up the middle in the A Gaps, however this is NOT what Lawrence is going to get. Elko only sends one linebacker, added to the 3 down lineman making it a 4 man pressure and BUZZES the flat with the other.

This is the model Lea used to confuse JT Daniels in the 2nd Half of USC and it also could prove effective come playoff time.

2089627384_MixingupCoverages.thumb.jpg.b00cb31136e96bb09600d36c8fe9b6fa.jpg

Great info Faith! Having Lea under Elko (who played Clemson fairly well defensively) can only help for sure. Lawrence is truly the X factor with their offense. I understand he's very talented, but he still is only a true frosh. Eager to see how he looks in this one.

The unmentioned factor is the stadium environment. That's not an easy place to play at night on the road with the crowd going absolutely bananas.
It's definitely not, but AM still played well. I think Clemson is a great team, however ND has a great defense also. I kind of feel both teams will travel well to Dallas for the game but wouldn't be surprised if ND has a few more fans. Hopefully. :-)

attachment.php?attachmentid=1278&stc=1&d=1544400698

This is the second Clemson play I've seen successfully defended with pressure up the middle, Center leaves to pull around, MLB shoots the gap, brings the QB down on the Sweep/Option misdirection type play..

Also of note A&M punted 69 yards, Clemson punted back 40 or so. So if we do get in a punting heavy defensive game ND could win hidden yardage..

132503823_Pressureuthemiddle.thumb.jpg.7881a5be3f0967ccfd43ed52e00cc8c6.jpg

Edited by FaithInIrishForever

attachment.php?attachmentid=1282&stc=1&d=1544850125

Brett Veneables and Clemson plays aggressive defense, here its an overhang blitz on a 3 wide formation. Blitzing the guy that would normally be your first coverage on the slot receiver is risky business, he's also very far from his goalline(meaning he could give up a big play) this is a very risky call. In this coverage he asks the safety to run down and pick up man to man on the slot.

In my opinion the safety reads the play as a normal bootleg, flat pass, where the slot is going to run horizontally toward the sideline, the safety would jump the route and make a play. The safety runs to where he thinks the play is going But the receiver either just sees the safety run himself out of the play and cuts up and around him, or runs a corner route, Either way the Safety who was given a tough job to start with gives a ton of green grass and a big yardage play to the slot receiver.

Long story short Chris Finke could run this and be open like this.

1556020574_ClemsonCoverageBust.thumb.jpg.ec432c297947e674b136c2c23f63ae6b.jpg

Thanks for this killer post, Faith! As always, thank you for making DD the best damn ND fans site on the internet. Appreciate all of your dedication and hard work. keep up the great work my friend.

Glad to be of help. DD is a great site Go Irish

A&M was able to get their screen game going

attachment.php?attachmentid=1283&stc=1&d=1545199037

Book will also need to make the DE miss in space a few times we won't block them all. Book has this spin move I've seen him use.

attachment.php?attachmentid=1284&stc=1&d=1545199641

302720418_clemsonvsscreenpass.thumb.jpg.75bfea15152f1627dd3350745371c9fe.jpg

1251704292_QBspinmove.thumb.jpg.05b81940be35417ea27414523cc0dd60.jpg

1. I would see if Tranquil or Coney can beat their Offensive Center into the backfield.

2. I would send coverage looks at Lawrence like ND did JT Daniels of USC. Yes Lawrence is the best Freshman NFL Prospect in years but he's still a freshman.

3. My gameplan would be centered around Ian Book on offense. I think the rhythm passing game puts Clemson to a consistency Test they have not had all year. I'm not saying our athletes overwhelm them but our efficiency might

4. I've seen things watching games where Clemson loses consistency for a quarter. If we can take advantage of whatever time period that is ND will have its best shot.

5. Hopefully their punter feels the pressure and gives us some good field position.

Things of concern:

As usual

D-line

speed

ND Advantages

Veterans

Effeciency

Ian Book calm demeanor