Book lacks arm strength

SpeedsterX

If we're talking about throwing bombs on go routes, then I'd say yes, or more precisely he's not very accurate on those long balls either. There are some great QBs who have made careers out of carving defenses up with short and intermediate passes, Montana comes to mind amount others. I'm totally fine with that. Book gets the ball out quick and decisively most of the time for those shorter routes and has a high completion rate. His passes usually have pretty good zip on them too. The flip side is Wimbush who can chuck it a mile but CANNOT complete a simple screen pass and has a barely 50% comp rate.

Give me Book all day. Additionally, as I've been screaming about in chat all season, we don't need to fling it on those go routes because we don't have a Will Fuller WR who can run under the ball past defenders. Boykin is not a deep threat, but he is potentially lethal in the short/medium routes where his height and hands can go over a Velcro type DB and he's usually difficult to bring down. I really like Finke but he's not a burner for those long go routes either. Play within our abilities and what we are good at and we will win.

His arm strength is fine I think. He just below that one throw to Finke who was wide open.

Loved his first down run as well when dropped the shoulder on some u$c punk.

Bad play though on the pic late. A fg would have iced it and instead gave them another shot at tying it (or maybe even going for 2).

Lets face it, Book turned this season around. Amazing composure and wins.

His arm strength is fine

Is it like Wimbush's who has an absolute rocket for an arm? No. But Book can still make all the throws

I'd rather have an accurate QB, then one with a cannon

Bingo! I couldn’t give two shits about arm strength if your not accurate. Brees, Brady, and Manning don’t have rockets but they are accurate.

Book has more than enough arm strength but he can’t throw with enough when off platform, which we saw on the int which was also a bad read. This is something Aaron Rodgers is the goat of.

I’m more worried about his deep ball accuracy, that miss to Finke was bad and he missed a bunch vs VT.

I don't think Book has Dwayne Haskins arm strength, but he's not asked to throw like that by ND anyway. However, because he's throwing shorter, long passes he has to have pinpoint accuracy, because the receivers have less separation and these aren't 60 yard passes that the receiver has 3-5 yards of separation where the receiver can run under a long bomb.

Its like baseball, you give up a bit on the fastball because he can throw strikes.

My Favorite Book play last night was he has learned situational awareness.

He had a few plays Early in the year where he slid too early and did not pick up a first down.

Its 3rd and 12, they're in man coverage, he takes off, lowers his shoulder into contact and moves the chains.

Thats the big moment awareness I am looking for. Not all the time because of injury risk but he knew the big moment and gave up his body.

Drew Brees... nothing more needs to be said

Yup between Drew Brees and Tommy Rees.

Book just has to learn when to throw it away and play on. That pick reminded me of Tommy against Tulsa just trying to force things. Books legs and usual accuracy make him Less like Tommy and more like Drew, but he has to avoid knowing the playbook so well he forces things, if that makes sense because on the field things always or almost always looks different from the perfect world of the playbook.

The only thing I saw that last night that made me said, “I wish he had a better arm,” was when he was blitzed with a linebacker in his face and he threw it short to Finke. But he also threw it off his back foot while curling to not get hit. So, maybe, arm strength wasn’t a true factor. I think his arm is fine. If you can overthrow your receivers on accident from time to time than you have enough of an arm.

Its 3rd and 12, they're in man coverage, he takes off, lowers his shoulder into contact and moves the chains.

Thats the big moment awareness I am looking for. Not all the time because of injury risk but he knew the big moment and gave up his body.

That was a great play. I know I'm nitpicking, but I really wish he would have went into the defender on the field side and with his LEFT shoulder. (I know, ball was in outside arm.) I can't help but remember that great Bull Durham line, "When you get in a bar fight with a drunk you don't hit him with your pitching hand."

I don't think Book has Dwayne Haskins arm strength, but he's not asked to throw like that by ND anyway. However, because he's throwing shorter, long passes he has to have pinpoint accuracy, because the receivers have less separation and these aren't 60 yard passes that the receiver has 3-5 yards of separation where the receiver can run under a long bomb.

Speaking of that...it's crazy just how open other team's receivers are compared to ours

All up and down the Top 15 teams, I watch their receivers get so wide open, the QB doesn't have to throw an accurate ball

Honestly, kinda miss Prosise, Fuller, and St. Brown

Speaking of that...it's crazy just how open other team's receivers are compared to ours

All up and down the Top 15 teams, I watch their receivers get so wide open, the QB doesn't have to throw an accurate ball

Honestly, kinda miss Prosise, Fuller, and St. Brown

Most of Book's "long" (and most of them aren't more than 30 yards) throws are vertical routes along the sidelines. This is where he struggled against USC, over and under throwing receivers. Boykin and Claypool are not burners. So, this makes sense, but Book often has too flat a trajectory and is not as accurate as he needs to be. He has to give his big, strong receivers a chance to catch the ball.

He does not have Wimbush's arm strength, no.

I think his arm strength is fine though but like a lot of QBs, his accuracy gets a little sketchier the further downfield the pass goes. He was somewhat off last week but he was under pressure and some of those throws were rushed while under duress.

One thing both Book and Wimbush have in common is they're both a bit shorter in stature and when you're playing behind a tall OL, that can block their field vision. I believe that's why they're both better throwing after rolling out. Also, neither guy is a true pocket passer and the OL's play has not helped.

I don't get this at all. When did he lack arm strength in any of the games and couldn't make necessary throws because of it?

I don't know if it was a mental error or arm strength, but he did not throw the ball into the end zone on the Hail Mary pass to end the first half.

I think people assume he doesn't have a ton of arm strength because we rarely throw really deep balls. His necessary long throws are 35-40 yards. On those he struggles with accuracy, particularly vertical passes along the sideline. So, people assume it is due to him being out of his arm strength comfort zone. Not sure if that's it or what, but he does struggle.

I don't know if it was a mental error or arm strength, but he did not throw the ball into the end zone on the Hail Mary pass to end the first half.

I think people assume he doesn't have a ton of arm strength because we rarely throw really deep balls. His necessary long throws are 35-40 yards. On those he struggles with accuracy, particularly vertical passes along the sideline. So, people assume it is due to him being out of his arm strength comfort zone. Not sure if that's it or what, but he does struggle.

I don't know. I was at the game and felt he kinda threw the ball falling away. Wasn't able to step up into the throw but I'd have to watch it again on TV broadcast.

It's good enough for college and most of the teams we play in the regular season. He has not looked good the past 2 games. I wouldn't draft him in the league.

I would...

The guy is accurate af, in his first year of starting, and will only get better at reading defenses

The guys hasn't looked good the past few games? Yes, compared to how he was in the first 5 games. But objectively, he's still doing well

I do wonder how his rib injury has affected his throwing the last two games. He didn't look particularly smooth throwing the ball. Very herky-jerky in a sense.

In the games pre-injury, his worst accuracy day was 71.4%. Including NW, when he got hurt, his last 3 games were: 64.7%, 62.2% and 56.4%. Is that coincidence or is the injury affecting him more than they are letting on.

I do wonder how his rib injury has affected his throwing the last two games. He didn't look particularly smooth throwing the ball. Very herky-jerky in a sense.

In the games pre-injury, his worst accuracy day was 71.4%. Including NW, when he got hurt, his last 3 games were: 64.7%, 62.2% and 56.4%. Is that coincidence or is the injury affecting him more than they are letting on.

It could be teams finally understanding that they need to load the box to defend the run and and short passing game