Rooting Guide Saturday

Beside the obvious ND victory we would like a few things to happen just to make our lives easier.

#1. Bama losing to Aurburn.

This knocks Bama from 1 to 4.

It also guarantees either Georgia or Bama only get in.

It also moves Clemson to 1 and Michigan to 3.

Clemson and Bama play in the first round.

#2. Michigan beats tOSU.

I can never truly root for Michigan so I’ll just say good luck to the winner. BUT...

A Michigan win helps ND secure its spot.

Michigan moves up to three to face the Irish in the playoffs.

Michigan is a better matchup than tOSU, Clemson, Bama in the playoffs.

#3. WVU beats Oklahoma

#1. At this point it doesn’t matter what Oklahoma does. ND wins and they are in. But this would truly dash any hope that if ND slips up they are still probably in. That and tOSU beating Michigan. But in that case ND defense helps them because of tOSU defense is god awful.

#2. It’s fun watching Oklahoma score 50 and still lose.

Washington beats Washington St.

#1. See above. It doesn’t matter really what Washington ST does because their OOC schedule is awful. We trump them regardless.

#2. If State does win and ND loses, Washington St. and ND would had both lost to USC but ND’s OOC record is better. No biggie either way. But to be safe, Washington needs to win.

UCF loses to whoever.

Just go away UCF.....schedule is terrible.

I'd rather ND plays Ohio St. than Michigan. Michigan has a really good defense. ND should win that game, but who knows when both teams are in a low scoring game when one turnover can change the game.

Ohio St can pass, ND has the second best pass D in the nation. They are terrible against the pass, which is ND's strength. I think ND matches up much better vs them, though I think ND would beat either.

Ideal world, Auburn wins, then Georgia beats Bama.

Ohio St. beat Michigan and loses to NW.

Pitt beats Clemson.

Washington St wins out.

W. Virginia beats OU.

That leaves:

ND

Georgia

Clemson

Washington St.

Beside the obvious ND victory we would like a few things to happen just to make our lives easier.

#1. Bama losing to Aurburn.

This knocks Bama from 1 to 4.

It also guarantees either Georgia or Bama only get in.

It also moves Clemson to 1 and Michigan to 3.

Clemson and Bama play in the first round.

#2. Michigan beats tOSU.

I can never truly root for Michigan so I’ll just say good luck to the winner. BUT...

A Michigan win helps ND secure its spot.

Michigan moves up to three to face the Irish in the playoffs.

Michigan is a better matchup than tOSU, Clemson, Bama in the playoffs.

#3. WVU beats Oklahoma

#1. At this point it doesn’t matter what Oklahoma does. ND wins and they are in. But this would truly dash any hope that if ND slips up they are still probably in. That and tOSU beating Michigan. But in that case ND defense helps them because of tOSU defense is god awful.

#2. It’s fun watching Oklahoma score 50 and still lose.

Washington beats Washington St.

#1. See above. It doesn’t matter really what Washington ST does because their OOC schedule is awful. We trump them regardless.

#2. If State does win and ND loses, Washington St. and ND would had both lost to USC but ND’s OOC record is better. No biggie either way. But to be safe, Washington needs to win.

UCF loses to whoever.

Just go away UCF.....schedule is terrible.

Personally, i dig UCF. Reminds me of BSU in the last generation. I’d like to see them knock off an SEC team of any level just to see a meltdown. Drama! Lol

I think theyre projected to play WSU last time i read.

In it to win it. Pure and simple. Give me Clemson then Bama for the whole f'ing thing, screw what everyone else does. You want to be the best and earn that respect, beat the best, those two have played for and won the last two NC. Do that this season, and it settles everything. I'll get down on all fours as a table for BK to sign a long extension and pay raise.

Personally, i dig UCF. Reminds me of BSU in the last generation. I’d like to see them knock off an SEC team of any level just to see a meltdown. Drama! Lol

That would be a high scoring game. It matches well with UCf and they could easily win. I’d rather see them face a Georgia or Alabama.

Cory, that would be the ultimate chaos If that happened.

Imroc, I didn’t mind them until they started calling us out. Now we have a problem.

Im with Jesse, I wouldn’t mind seeing them face one of the SEC teams. Then it’s put up or shut up. But they probably need us to lose so they can take their New Years Day bowl and be happy.

I believe Wash. St. is losing no matter what this weekend but that would be a hell of a high scoring game. That is the only game I have complete faith in. Maybe tOSU, but that defense sheesh.

Cory, that would be the ultimate chaos If that happened.

Imroc, I didn’t mind them until they started calling us out. Now we have a problem.

Im with Jesse, I wouldn’t mind seeing them face one of the SEC teams. Then it’s put up or shut up. But they probably need us to lose so they can take their New Years Day bowl and be happy.

I believe Wash. St. is losing no matter what this weekend but that would be a hell of a high scoring game. That is the only game I have complete faith in. Maybe tOSU, but that defense sheesh.

It would great to see Oklahoma and Washington State meet in a bowl game just to see how many combined points they would score.

It would great to see Oklahoma and Washington State meet in a bowl game just to see how many combined points they would score.

It might rival last night's scorefest on MNF . . . but what fun it was (unless you are a KC fan, I suppose - I am NOT a LAR fan, either, FYI)

They are exactly BSU. Play nobody. Get none of their players injured because, again, they play nobody. No pundits mention that anybody in the Top 15 who played their schedule would go undefeated. Then, unnecessary hype where they ACTUALLY think they can compete because they LITERALLY have to get up for ONE game per year where their opponent is both overlooking them and downtrodden since they're in a lesser bowl than they expected.

F*** UCF and F*** BSU. I'm a huge Memphis Tigers fan and would NEVER pretend that an undefeated season meant they earned a spot in the playoff, let alone a the right to call themselves national champions. It's a problem with the system, and until it's fixed, the lesser conference teams will never be equivalent. It's like the Big Conferences are the Varsity, lesser conferences are JV, and the 1-AA schools are 8th grade or Freshman teams...

They are exactly BSU. Play nobody. Get none of their players injured because, again, they play nobody. No pundits mention that anybody in the Top 15 who played their schedule would go undefeated. Then, unnecessary hype where they ACTUALLY think they can compete because they LITERALLY have to get up for ONE game per year where their opponent is both overlooking them and downtrodden since they're in a lesser bowl than they expected.

F*** UCF and F*** BSU. I'm a huge Memphis Tigers fan and would NEVER pretend that an undefeated season meant they earned a spot in the playoff, let alone a the right to call themselves national champions. It's a problem with the system, and until it's fixed, the lesser conference teams will never be equivalent. It's like the Big Conferences are the Varsity, lesser conferences are JV, and the 1-AA schools are 8th grade or Freshman teams...

I agree with your premise. The only thing I would contradict is, if it was so easy why can’t other teams duplicate their success. So far Boise and UCF have been the other two. They must be somewhat decent to do it. I give them credit for that.

I agree with your premise. The only thing I would contradict is, if it was so easy why can’t other teams duplicate their success. So far Boise and UCF have been the other two. They must be somewhat decent to do it. I give them credit for that.

Apples and oranges. The apples could duplicate the success which is my premise - the Top 15 teams are all (with the exception of UCF or BSU, back then) from Power conferences. Allow one of those teams to play the UCF or BSU schedule and they would duplicate their success 13 out of 15 times.

The oranges are the teams from the lesser conferences. They can't duplicate the success, and it's not easy for them, because they are playing under the same crappy conditions as UCF and BSU. They aren't allowed access to the bowls that generate the real money. Without the money, they can't build new facilities or retain coaches. Without those two things, they can't recruit the 5 star athletes and have to fight over the best JUCOs. Even the JUCOs still go to the Power conferences at times. Without recruits, they can't win consistently.

So, your apples will run the table in the UCF schedule all day long because they are far superior. The oranges will run the table every now and then, but they're generally mediocre and fighting each other as mediocre teams. When one of the oranges rises above the rest, like UCF or BSU, it doesn't mean that it's better than the rest of the apples. More likely, it's middle of the pack with the apples and certainly not playoff worthy.

Whew... lots of typing to get there, but hopefully that explains my premise a little better. If anything, the takeaway is all these guys are a little fruity... haha.

Apples and oranges. The apples could duplicate the success which is my premise - the Top 15 teams are all (with the exception of UCF or BSU, back then) from Power conferences. Allow one of those teams to play the UCF or BSU schedule and they would duplicate their success 13 out of 15 times.

The oranges are the teams from the lesser conferences. They can't duplicate the success, and it's not easy for them, because they are playing under the same crappy conditions as UCF and BSU. They aren't allowed access to the bowls that generate the real money. Without the money, they can't build new facilities or retain coaches. Without those two things, they can't recruit the 5 star athletes and have to fight over the best JUCOs. Even the JUCOs still go to the Power conferences at times. Without recruits, they can't win consistently.

So, your apples will run the table in the UCF schedule all day long because they are far superior. The oranges will run the table every now and then, but they're generally mediocre and fighting each other as mediocre teams. When one of the oranges rises above the rest, like UCF or BSU, it doesn't mean that it's better than the rest of the apples. More likely, it's middle of the pack with the apples and certainly not playoff worthy.

Whew... lots of typing to get there, but hopefully that explains my premise a little better. If anything, the takeaway is all these guys are a little fruity... haha.

Except...BSU won some pretty hefty bowl games

Except...BSU won some pretty hefty bowl games

That returns to my point...it's easy to get up for one game a year against an opponent is not in its prime mentality. Let's face it - the BSU opponents 1) probably overlooked them and 2) were disappointed with the bowl they ended up in. For BSU, it was the national title. 3) When you play nobody, you're team doesn't get battered and bruised the way it would if it played in the SEC each week.

That returns to my point...it's easy to get up for one game a year against an opponent is not in its prime mentality. Let's face it - the BSU opponents 1) probably overlooked them and 2) were disappointed with the bowl they ended up in. For BSU, it was the national title. 3) When you play nobody, you're team doesn't get battered and bruised the way it would if it played in the SEC each week.

I completely understand your point. But that Oklahoma game where they ran the Statue of Liberty play was pretty damn epic. Both teams were in a dogfight. It showed to me that in at least that season BSU belonged.

I completely understand your point. But that Oklahoma game where they ran the Statue of Liberty play was pretty damn epic. Both teams were in a dogfight. It showed to me that in at least that season BSU belonged.

One of them classic games I’ll never forget. UCF deserves the same chance. Credibility could bring competition. They’ve done their part. It’s not as if their schedule was assembled on the fly to inflate their record.

One of them classic games I’ll never forget. UCF deserves the same chance. Credibility could bring competition. They’ve done their part. It’s not as if their schedule was assembled on the fly to inflate their record.

This is how you gain parity, which leads to credibility. There are 10 conferences. You do a 16 team playoff with 10 automatic bids and 6 at-large. Week 1 of the playoffs would be in the first couple of weeks in December with the second round in the following week, so 8 games, then 4 games. Then, reconvene in January for the semifinal and finals. Other meaningless bowls can continue to exist the same way they do now.

The only way to obtain parity and credibility is to grant equal access for the chance to play in the title and equal access to the money. The 6 at-large will compensate for the UGA/Bama situations and Independents. However, you also HAVE to remove the games against Division 1-AA. That could reduce the weeks to 11 which would give more leeway for playoffs. I've been advocating for this system since 2006. 12 years later...

This is how you gain parity, which leads to credibility. There are 10 conferences. You do a 16 team playoff with 10 automatic bids and 6 at-large. Week 1 of the playoffs would be in the first couple of weeks in December with the second round in the following week, so 8 games, then 4 games. Then, reconvene in January for the semifinal and finals. Other meaningless bowls can continue to exist the same way they do now.

The only way to obtain parity and credibility is to grant equal access for the chance to play in the title and equal access to the money. The 6 at-large will compensate for the UGA/Bama situations and Independents. However, you also HAVE to remove the games against Division 1-AA. That could reduce the weeks to 11 which would give more leeway for playoffs. I've been advocating for this system since 2006. 12 years later...

Loving it!

Especially the non-fbs opponents!

Contenders stay, pretenders away

Edited by imroc
I'd rather ND plays Ohio St. than Michigan. Michigan has a really good defense. ND should win that game, but who knows when both teams are in a low scoring game when one turnover can change the game.

Ohio St can pass, ND has the second best pass D in the nation. They are terrible against the pass, which is ND's strength. I think ND matches up much better vs them, though I think ND would beat either.

Ideal world, Auburn wins, then Georgia beats Bama.

Ohio St. beat Michigan and loses to NW.

Pitt beats Clemson.

Washington St wins out.

W. Virginia beats OU.

That leaves:

ND

Georgia

Clemson

Washington St.

Not sure UCF doesnt get in at that point... their schedule may be better than WSU

Not sure UCF doesnt get in at that point... their schedule may be better than WSU

I live in Seattle and watch the Cougars play. I have only watched portions of the UCF game against Cinci. So, I cannot comment on position to position and play on the field. However, comparing UCF's schedule with the Coug's schedule might be a bit of a stretch. ESPN lists Wazzu's FPI at 15 and UCF's at 26.

Edited by WilhelmD
Add stat from ESPN

No, because at the end off the day, WSU still plays a power 5 conference schedule, their non-conference schedule may be weak, but that is basically the type of opponents UCF is playing all year around.

I live in Seattle and watch the Cougars play. I have only watched portions of the UCF game against Cinci. So, I cannot comment on position to position and play on the field. However, comparing UCF's schedule with the Coug's schedule might be a bit of a stretch. ESPN lists Wazzu's FPI at 15 and UCF's at 26.

well, this discussion is irrelevant now ha