Playoffs:Are we going to get pounded again

What's up everyone,

Being a ND fan is tough already but being a ND fan in SEC country is life threatening.

All I've heard all year is ND should save themselves the embarrassment of getting prison raped in the playoffs and just let 4 real teams play.

Recent history does not give me much ammunition, is this years team going to be the team that gets in the playoffs and makes a true statement that ND football is back or are we who they say we are. That we play a hard schedule on paper but when it comes time to play the big boys we get sent back to the minor leagues.

I don't want to go 11-0 and lose 45-14 against Clemson or Bama

What are your thoughts on this

We lost to Georgia by one with our backup qb last season, did they not practically have Bama beat in the title game?

No one is going to smoke this ND team this year because we’re so balanced. We can beat you running or throwing and our defense gets after the qb and doesn’t give up big plays. I’d argue this defense might be the most underrated in the country.

'Bama hasnt had a glove laid on them yet. I would note that they are also one of the most protected teams in the nation. Both via schedule and officiating. LSU had the wind sucked out of their sails 2 or 3 times early in that game and they never recovered. Having said that, a 3 TD loss to 'Bama is not humiliation given what they have done to date.

ND has played with Clemson in recent years as well. I dont see beating them but no suggestions that there would be a bad showing.

What's up everyone,

Being a ND fan is tough already but being a ND fan in SEC country is life threatening.

All I've heard all year is ND should save themselves the embarrassment of getting prison raped in the playoffs and just let 4 real teams play.

Recent history does not give me much ammunition, is this years team going to be the team that gets in the playoffs and makes a true statement that ND football is back or are we who they say we are. That we play a hard schedule on paper but when it comes time to play the big boys we get sent back to the minor leagues.

I don't want to go 11-0 and lose 45-14 against Clemson or Bama

What are your thoughts on this

You don’t have much ammunition? Really?

You live in Louisiana. We beat LSU twice in recent years. We had Georgia on the ropes last year. I do not understand why people think ND is going to get embarrassed. That happened once six years ago. This is a completely different team and program than what it was in 2012.

You don’t have much ammunition? Really?

You live in Louisiana. We beat LSU twice in recent years. We had Georgia on the ropes last year. I do not understand why people think ND is going to get embarrassed. That happened once six years ago. This is a completely different team and program than what it was in 2012.

Agreed.

ND could lose by 21 and be considered the second best SEC based on score relative to Vama at this point.

The SEC is Alabama and everyone else, just like the rest of the country except Clemson.

Not sure some of you understand SEC country. Let me explain:

Have you ever been yelled at at a gas station for wearing a ND shirt? Accused of being pedophiles because ND is a Catholic institution?

SEC homerism is like a religion. So ND beat LSU twice? Bama killed us in 2012. A Florida fan salivates when UGA plays ND. First comes team, second comes conference and third comes Tim Tebow saying ND hasn’t played anyone.

In small Southern towns, ND fans are Yankees, carpetbaggers, and going to Hell for not being “saved.”

As far as the original topic, we are in the best shape as a program since Kelly took over. We can play toe to toe. Scenario: We play Clemson, we’ll win. Saban won’t have a month to prep for us. We’ll be neck and neck till the fourth quarter. This is the time if Kelly is to win one.

Not sure some of you understand SEC country. Let me explain:

Have you ever been yelled at at a gas station for wearing a ND shirt? Accused of being pedophiles because ND is a Catholic institution?

SEC homerism is like a religion. So ND beat LSU twice? Bama killed us in 2012. A Florida fan salivates when UGA plays ND. First comes team, second comes conference and third comes Tim Tebow saying ND hasn’t played anyone.

In small Southern towns, ND fans are Yankees, carpetbaggers, and going to Hell for not being “saved.”

As far as the original topic, we are in the best shape as a program since Kelly took over. We can play toe to toe. Scenario: We play Clemson, we’ll win. Saban won’t have a month to prep for us. We’ll be neck and neck till the fourth quarter. This is the time if Kelly is to win one.

What makes you think that Saban and his very large staff of analysts will not spend the month before the CFP preparing for the two teams in the other semi-final as well as his semi opponent? That said, I hope that Notre Dame has folks who have started prepping for Alabama, Clemson, Michigan, Oklahoma, and Georgia at a minimum.

Edited by jbrown_9999

We are 29 and 19 against SEC teams overall during our history.....the only SEC team we have a losing record with is Georgia at 0-2 ---we are even or winning against alabama/tennesse/ south Carolina/ florida/ Mississippi/ texas A&M/ Vanderbuilt/LSU/ Missouri

As far as this year goes.....

We are the team I would LEAST LIKE to face if I were Bama....

The best running back in the country/

A 75% completion QB

BIG TALENTED WRs

And a top 20 defense that is one of the countrys best.....

We may not make it to the playoffs

We may get beat

But we are a very strong, very complete, very fast team

So that's why we play the games

As far as all the charming pedophile , carpetbagger banter you mention all I can say is what we say out here...."lucky you live Hawaii"

aloha

As far as all the charming pedophile , carpetbagger banter you mention all I can say is what we say out here...."lucky you live Hawaii"

aloha

If a CFB discussion turns to this topic, it’s not a CFB discussion & your best bet to to turn & “shake the dust from your feet”.

There are certain discussions that are completely fruitless.

All I know is I'm so friggin sick of Alabama this and that. Every year they are unbeatable, yet they have won two NC's in the playoff era by a combined amount of 8 points. They have been and can be beaten.

Last week Bama lost their starting QB and didn`t score a TD in the 2nd half.

I have not heard the extent of the injury but without him, Bama`s chances of winning has diminished a lot.

AlabamaDuck

Of course, it's impossible to know what's going to happen until it happens, but this year's team seems to have a different mentality than in previous years. I have a hard time seeing anyone blowing them out, honestly.

Yesterday, I listened to the Blue and Gold podcast wrapping up the FSU game, and they mentioned a couple of little things I thought were really good signs for the culture of the program.

First, they talked about when they arrived in the stadium and some FSU and ND DBs were on the field warming up. The FSU players were bundled up with long-sleeved everything, as one would expect. But the ND DBs, were practicing in shorts. Without shirts on. This was clearly an intimidation tactic, and I love how defensive backs, or all people, were willing to go so far just to try and gain a mental edge, even a menial one.

Second, it was mentioned that last year, receivers would typically "tap out" any time they would run a route of 20 yards or more, spending a play or two on the sidelines. They noted that they noticed a particular play where Chase Claypool didn't come up with a catch on a deep route, and the coaching staff seemed as though they had another receiver ready to come in. Claypool waved them off, and continued competing for the ball on the next play.

There were a lot of little things holding last year's team back. Those things don't really seem to be in the way anymore, which makes sense, since we're year two into a culture change for the program.

There's plenty of reasons to be optimistic, but perhaps the biggest reason is that there is still a lot of untapped potential on this team.

Freshmen like Tariq Bracy and Houston Griffith have had some bright spots already this year. Our linebacker depth is starting to come around with Genmark-Heath, White and Simon all getting some time at various points throughout the season. Some of our younger d-line players have stepped up already.

Not to mention that the offensive line dominated against what had been a really good rush defense and pass rush in the Seminoles. And they are nowhere near as good as they could be.

Now, take a minute and realized that this team will have a whole month or so to continue its development between the end of the regular season and the playoffs/bowl game. Yeah, everyone else has that same opportunity, but it seems like Alabama and Clemson are peaking and, as good as we've played throughout most of the year, ND still has a long way to go before this roster maxes out its potential.

Oh, and also, we beat the current #4 team in the country while in much worse shape, and it wasn't even really that close. I'd say we don't have a lot to be concerned about in terms of competing with the "big boys," whatever that means.

Tua will be back and healthy if Bama makes the playoffs. I like our chances against anyone except Bama. And even then I agree that we will probably play them tougher than any team they have faced so far this year.

We are a legit playoff talented team. Now that doesn’t mean we can’t be beat by Syracuse or SC, but we have the talent of a playoff team for sure. I haven’t seen anyone with a defense that is faster or more talented except for Bama and possibly Clemson. And offensively we are balanced and if we don’t turn the ball over we can score points. That is the key to beating Bama and Clemson—being able to score points. Neither team has faced anyone that can do that consistently.

I like our chances if we get there.

I really like the B&G podcast. Provides a lot more insight than many.

There were comments made about the original poster concerning life in SEC country. I addressed them in a context I thought many would understand and empathize. It's not a debate, just a comment.

I remember too many bad games in my lifetime that I'm skeptical we can play at the highest level. We can beat every team if we play a complete game.

Special teams are absolutely suspect other than Yoon.

Offensive line is a concern as well.

Either way, we're closer than we've been in a long time. That 2012 team didn't compare to this team IMO. There's talent and depth to build off of. This isn't 2012. We won't get run over.

We have been snake bit for so long it's hard for older fans who have memories of the good old days to determine just how exactly we sit in the pantheon this season. Each time we think we've turned the corner and struck gold with a coach or squad, it turns out to be fools gold. Obviously it makes the fan base a little gun shy to make outlandish claims about how good we are, especially this season with the ups and downs we've had.

Honestly I don't know how good we are or whether we belong. I'm trying to enjoy the season and am genuinely happy with being undefeated this late in the year. I'm concerned about the way our AD decided to alter this game from a home to neutral site and the amount of travel the players have to endure this last month in relation to rest and recovery they need for a real playoff run.

In the end we are along for the ride and cannot do anything to control what's going on. I am hopeful when I look at the players every Saturday. They are going out there and doing the work, getting it done when it matters, and overcoming the obstacles. They look like they are having fun out there, not getting too high or low, and playing with a quiet confidence and almost a business like approach each game. They are playing for each other and have laid out their goals, incrementally moving from one game to the next and keeping their eyes on the prize. There are no superstars, just a group of individuals playing as a team with a common purpose, and succeeding.

It's still a long ways to go to make the comparison, but I'll make a brief mention of it. Two of my favorite Irish teams are the '88 and '93 editions. The '88 team at the time didn't have guys recognized as stars yet, lots of young guys and upperclassmen who were still considered a year away, but they played as a team and got it done. In '93 there were a couple stars, but there was a ton of talent who graduated or left early from the '92 squad, which was arguably Lou's best team talent wise yet "underachieved" because they didn't win out. This squad has shades of both of those teams in them.

Honestly I don't know how good we are or whether we belong. I'm trying to enjoy the season and am genuinely happy with being undefeated this late in the year...

In the end we are along for the ride and cannot do anything to control what's going on. .

Amen to this!!! Enjoy the ride. Enjoy the illusion, if that’s what it is. Don’t try to solve the ending to The Sixth Sense or Fight Club; just enjoy the ride. Appreciate 10-0. Yes, I said 10-0... holy crap! We are 10-0! Enjoy now and appreciate what this team has accomplished so far. Be optimistic, dream of making the playoffs, dream of beating Alabama, dream of a natty. And, if the dream of a natty turns into natty light, then drink that ****** beer at the end of the night and be grateful for being drunk and under the illusion after too many beers at linebackers resulting in hooking up with the ugly chick.

So, cheers to this team and let it be the ugly chick we celebrate with fond memories, stories, and laughs later in life or let it be the chick we happen to marry and tie our memories of ND football to.

Also, cheers to too many natty lights and drunk ramblings on the internet. GO IRISH!!!!

I literally have had dreams of getting into the playoff, beating Clemson, and having a rematch with Bama. I really believe we will be much better prepared than 2012. Kelly knows what to expect now, he was not as prepared the first time around. So I would expect us to be hungry, and come out with the "dominate" attitude. And the final part of my dream mirrors the U.S. hockey team beating Russia; Do You Believe In Miracles?! It can happen! We play Bama 10 times, they might beat us 9 of them, but not that night! This is my dream, and I can die a happy man knowing that we defeated the unbeatable team and I won't have to hear "Roll Tide" and cringe. GO IRISH!! We have to beat Cuse and USC first to make this possible, but it's within reach.

We are 29 and 19 against SEC teams overall during our history.....the only SEC team we have a losing record with is Georgia at 0-2 ---we are even or winning against alabama/tennesse/ south Carolina/ florida/ Mississippi/ texas A&M/ Vanderbuilt/LSU/ Missouri

As far as this year goes.....

We are the team I would LEAST LIKE to face if I were Bama....

The best running back in the country/

A 75% completion QB

BIG TALENTED WRs

And a top 20 defense that is one of the countrys best.....

We may not make it to the playoffs

We may get beat

But we are a very strong, very complete, very fast team

So that's why we play the games

aloha

Cmon man. Best RB in the country? Would assume he would on the Heisman ballot at least if that were the case....

Yea best running back in the country is a stretch.. Although he could possibly be on the ballot if he didnt miss 4 games.. IMO i still dont think he would be, but hes been very impressive

He'd be a Top 5 RB if he had played all 10 games, assuming he had the same success early on.

He doesn't qualify yet statistically because I think you have to play in 75% of your team's games to qualify, but these would be his rankings:

Yards Per Game: 5th (128.3 rush yards per game)

Yards Per Carry: 13th (6.8 yards per carry)

TDs: Currently 28th (10 Tds), but extrapolate that over 10 games and he would be 3rd with 16.

Three of the four guys averaging more yards per game all average at least 22 rushing attempts per game, where as Dexter only averages 18.8 carries per game.

He would average more carries per game than all 12 guys ahead of him in rushing yards per carry.

I actually think the timing for his return was perfect and is one of the primary reasons he is having such a great year. We could have used him against Ball State and Vandy for sure, but the coaching staff loved Armstrong and probably would have still had him as RB1. I feel like Dexter would have started the season as RB2 and in the doghouse based on his previous three seasons. I think coming back from his four game suspension coinciding with Armstrong and Jones being banged up is what sparked Dexter this year. He was RB1 because the staff had no other choice. Then he earned their trust after Stanford and VT, and now he is THE guy. I'd say he is the most important offensive piece, behind only Book.