We make too many mistakes.

Frankus

The Michigan, Pitt and NW games looked closer than they should have due to Special Team problems. Throw in fumbles on hand offs and other mistakes and we don't look like a truly dominant team. This may not matter in the regular season, but in the playoffs we will lose if we aren't solid in all phases of the game.

ND can’t get up for a prime time game in enemy territory (where it wasn’t hostile and loads of ND fans were there)....and it’s just sad....the intensity needs to last snap to snap quarter to quarter game to game

Some of you will say calm down but I care about championships and CHAMPIONS are consistently playing hard at all times. They don’t take plays off....im looking at you DLine....if you rewatch the game you’ll get sick at them getting pushed off the ball 10+ times by NW.....and boy do I hate watching the ND OL finish a play without having touched anybody that happened at least 7 times

I really think the last step is intensity....ND is an extremely talented AND WELL COACHED (I know that’ll make a few scoff) team....but the consistency isn’t there and that is what makes a champion

Also Running Game Strategy....ND runs themselves out of drives I think Book doesn’t keep the ball enough on RPO....I’m unsure if he realizes him getting 4-5 is better than the RB getting 1-2...I’m not saying go in there like cam newton but run 1-2 yds then dive to avoid a hit and boom you got 2nd and 6 instead of 2nd and 8

Does Kelly allow his QB to audible? I feel like our QB or at least Kelly from the sideline should see that if there is clearly a 7 man blitz coming and we have 6 people to block we need to slide the pocket away from the heat so our QB has a damn chance...that’s a minor schematic change....was also a play where NW lined up trips left and we played a zone that failed to defend nearly a quarter of the playing field...wasn’t even a blitz

Weaknesses

1) Consistency/Intensity

2) Running Game and Strategy

3) Adjustments at LOS

EDIT: Still think ND is one of the best teams in the country, but in order to ascend to a championship level they will have to evolve in these three aspects.

The Michigan, Pitt and NW games looked closer than they should have due to Special Team problems. Throw in fumbles on hand offs and other mistakes and we don't look like a truly dominant team.

If anything, this makes ND look more dominant in my view. ND is winning by decent margins even when they beat themselves. Just imagine what will happen when ND does not make those stupid errors and simply plays their game. ND should have had 7-14 more points in the first half alone against NW.

If anything, this makes ND look more dominant in my view. ND is winning by decent margins even when they beat themselves. Just imagine what will happen when ND does not make those stupid errors and simply plays their game. ND should have had 7-14 more points in the first half alone against NW.

I think Kelly has that "game is in the bag let's get out of here mentality."

He isn't trying to run up style points because he KNOWS we aren't an elite team. We need to play strong and win and are good enough to win every game we play.

Think he is trying to balance everything all at once. Not an excuse because I don't like the play calling to start the fourth to go conservative when we were grooving.

We have to step on throats!

He isn't trying to run up style points because he KNOWS we aren't an elite team. We need to play strong and win and are good enough to win every game we play.

Think he is trying to balance everything all at once. Not an excuse because I don't like the play calling to start the fourth to go conservative when we were grooving.

What do kickoff returns for TD's , punt blocks deep in our territory and fumbles in our territory have to do with style points? These are mistakes in coverage, blocking and execution, not Kelly massaging the game.

Sorry man, couldn't disagree more... If he wanted to "get out of here", he'd stop running tempo with a 22 pt. lead on Navy and a 10 pt. lead on Northwestern at the end of the game. Rarely does that play clock drop below 19 seconds when ND should obviously be running the clock. He just keeps giving the opposing teams more opportunity to possess the ball when he needs to get the hell outta Dodge.....Oh, on another note, Polian is fvckin horrible...Lou Holtz must be shaking his head every time the ST come on the field.........

Really? You have become a nattering nebob of negativism. Did you see anything positive in the game last night?

Really? You have become a nattering nebob of negativism. Did you see anything positive in the game last night?

Jersey, I am confused cuz when I was writing this I thought people would say I am a BL sympathizer. I don’t believe I am being negative so my apologies if that was the interpretation. I am open to learning more about your perspective here.

The premise of this thread is Incorrect IMO.....we rank as one of the best in fewest penalty yards,,,,top 15/20. We have only lost 2 fumbles not counting last night...we have only had 8 picks and three of those were by Brandon in one game....

WE ARE NOT A MISTAKE PRONE TEAM....that's clearly one of the reasons we are 9/0

aloha

The premise of this thread is Incorrect IMO.....we rank as one of the best in fewest penalty yards,,,,top 15/20. We have only lost 2 fumbles not counting last night...we have only had 8 picks and three of those were by Brandon in one game....

aloha

You mean the subject line of the thread is incorrect, but I included the word "mistake" to be relevant for blocked punts and kickoff returns when perhaps it is a talent issue, but I doubt it. Probably should have wrote "We made too many mistakes", which Kelly acknowledged in his Northwestern press conference. We were fortunate NW missed the FG after the fumble and that their DE dropped the int. when Book threw it right to him. Nice play by our receiver to strip the ball.

To be fair, my first line of the thread is, "The Michigan, Pitt and NW games looked closer than they should have due to Special Team problems." Do you disagree? We rank # 123 in Kickoff Return defense. They don't have a ranking number for blocked punts, but now we're on the second page, which would put us in the 50-60 range. Kelly said that "we had a guy who took off too early" and "attention to detail" regarding the punt return. That was a mistake.

Anyway, the overall point stands. We can get away with blocked punts, kickoff returns, offside penalties in the red zone etc. against Northwestern, but we won't in a playoff game. Special Teams problems are fixable imo, but guys lake Saban and Sweeney will take advantage of what they see on film to exploit these problems. If we don't fix them, they will haunt us.

The cleaner we play clearly the better our chances no doubt...

Can we beat Clemson or Alabama:scared: that's not something I am too concerned about...and will be highly problematic that's for sure

But we can win these last three if we just play the way we have been without a completely flat effort or a cluster of turnovers,,,,for me the Holy Grail is the 12/0 and our first playoff...

aloha

aloha

What is our takeaway margin?

Just hire Polian as recruiting coordinator and pay him the same salary. There are literally no units on special teams that are at the level they should be.

I totally agree with you here. I might be wrong, but I feel like Polian’s first tenure with the team was some of our worst special teams play. I think it’s obvious that the only reason he’s here is to recruit.