Urban Meyer:Done?

I think it is really in Meyer's hands. I don't see OSU pushing him out - what programs are willing to put up with is beyond ridiculous (see Maryland's Board of Regents as an example.) To me, there are a few likely outcomes with Meyer.

1) He continues being productive with his current ailments and continues at OSU as long as he'd like (I think this is most likely)

2) U of Florida repeat - OSU has some bad recruiting classes in addition to some potential program issues and Meyer uses his health as an excuse to skip town.

3) U of Florida repeat version 2 - Meyer is still steaming from how he feels he was treated at the beginning of the season and doesn't feel he got the support he needed. He uses his health as an excuse to skip town and eventually land another gig.

4) His health deteriorates and he actually has to quite truly due to health reasons

Unless some great infraction or terrible thing happens with the program that we're not aware of, I don't see any way OSU pushes him out.

I've been seeing this more and more. Not from anyone super credible (national media, etc), but the whispers have grown louder. Also, he publicly stated he doesn't plan to retire which is usually a pretty good indication that someone will do the opposite of what they say.

I think he is planting the seed for an exit, TBH. An exit that will make people feel bad for him. And create good favor for him again.

Exited the same way at Florida, remember?

Bingo. He is using health card to exit and not have contract issues. I am sure they are real but he is doing this publicly because he is concerned about money and protecting his bottom line. His defiance in support of the harassment issue, deleting texts, etc - be glad he is not at ND.

I think he does have health issues but I think he just fired the first shot towards tOSU about their lack of backing him. Or in the words of Jack in a “Few Good Men,” you f’ed with the wrong marine.

Either you back me from here on out or I’m gone.

To answer Speedster’s question yes and yes.

He may want to finally come home for that final championship. It’s the only thing he could have over Saban during their parallel careers. Win at three different major colleges and do it by bringing them back from the depths of hell.

Yes, we would take him. Especially if BK doesn’t get a NC soon. Fans would take him for that very reason. And the way BK has finally loaded the cupboards, Meyer could like what he sees.

I think he does have health issues but I think he just fired the first shot towards tOSU about their lack of backing him. Or in the words of Jack in a “Few Good Men,” you f’ed with the wrong marine.

Either you back me from here on out or I’m gone.

To answer Speedster’s question yes and yes.

He may want to finally come home for that final championship. It’s the only thing he could have over Saban during their parallel careers. Win at three different major colleges and do it by bringing them back from the depths of hell.

Yes, we would take him. Especially if BK doesn’t get a NC soon. Fans would take him for that very reason. And the way BK has finally loaded the cupboards, Meyer could like what he sees.

ND wouldn’t touch him with a ten-foot pole.

Does he think he'll skip town due to "health issues", be an announcer again for a few years and patiently wait for Kelly to end his career here and vie for his "dream job" finally? Would we even take him? Be realistic!

"Health issues" is his way out with a very big bag full of money!!! Let's not kid ourselves. He's called Urban Liar for a reason.

ND wouldn’t touch him with a ten-foot pole.

You don’t think? We are now at 30 years without a National Championship. How long do you think this fan base will be content with 8-9 win seasons? ND has turned its cheek on certain issues in the past. They did it with Lou to an extent. They’ll do with another coach when the pressure of winning gets to high. If it’s Meyer, I don’t know.

You don’t think? We are now at 30 years without a National Championship. How long do you think this fan base will be content with 8-9 win seasons? ND has turned its cheek on certain issues in the past. They did it with Lou to an extent. They’ll do with another coach when the pressure of winning gets to high. If it’s Meyer, I don’t know.

You may not know much about Meyer’s background so I’ll give you a pass, but you should read up on it. He may be the shadiest coach in football right now. He had 1 class where two players graduated, 20+ arrests of players, players fighting coaches, I mean it is ridiculous. No way ND hires him, especially after the recent scandal which I think does not even compare to his stunts at Florida.

You may not know much about Meyer’s background so I’ll give you a pass, but you should read up on it. He may be the shadiest coach in football right now. He had 1 class where two players graduated, 20+ arrests of players, players fighting coaches, I mean it is ridiculous. No way ND hires him, especially after the recent scandal which I think does not even compare to his stunts at Florida.

Agree.

No way he coaches at ND.

He'd win, but the social environment is going to put coaches like this out to pasture.

Maybe the Maryland Board of Regents would hire him.

I would do almost anything for a National Title, as would most of us on here, but the ND administration would not - they have shown that over the last couple of decades. Whether we like it or not, they will not do whatever it takes to win a National Championship. A lot of times, I agree with the stances they take and take pride in "doing things the right way." (A little "holier than thou," but whatever). There are other instances where I 100% don't agree with handicapping ND when there are already so many inherent disadvantages in place. In the case of UM, I would side with the Administration. I would not want him at ND. He would probably win here, maybe even a National Title, but I think he is a very shady individual with absolutely no morals.

To be fair, NCAA has some wonky rules as to what is a graduate, and it's not exclusive to him. That happens a lot in the SEC. Just 20+ players arrested? That's about the same neighborhood as ND under cbk.

I find it funny that we are 1) undefeated 2) We might have the COY. Yet we're talking about Urban and the possibility of him coaching ND. I agree with colt. Everyones a moral pillar until those hypothetical could become a reality.

To be fair, NCAA has some wonky rules as to what is a graduate, and it's not exclusive to him. That happens a lot in the SEC. Just 20+ players arrested? That's about the same neighborhood as ND under cbk.

I find it funny that we are 1) undefeated 2) We might have the COY. Yet we're talking about Urban and the possibility of him coaching ND. I agree with colt. Everyones a moral pillar until those hypothetical could become a reality.

You and I had this talk in the Urban Meyer thread earlier this year right? If memory serves you said ND fans would take Urban in a second and I said I personally wouldn't and I knew plenty that wouldn't either? It seems pretty split in this thread, so I guess we were both right ha!

Ya, last couple years have really messed with his credibility and marketability.

He would be a very very tough sell to the board and admin. Dude tarnished his own legacy with his ego...

Dude tarnished his legacy by being unrepentant scumbag, recruiting a literal murderer, and when given the chance to apologize to the wife of a woman beater he hired and kept even after knowing he was a woman beater just said "I'm sorry we are in this situation."

So it was 31 arrests and Hernandez shot someone and busted someone eardrum while he was there. Urban put it all under the rug and didn’t allow the police to even do an investigation. Didn’t return calls and diverted the police as much as they could. Not to mention, the Florida fixer lawyer they had on speed dial. The OSU stuff is second nature to Urban, a solid percentage of his players were beating up theirs girlfriends and sexually assaulting women. very little, if not none game time missed. I can’t wait for the 30 for 30 on Meyer’s reign of terror. It will make Miami look like choir boys. This is beyond your average college football program with players doing this or that getting charged and then kicked off the team. Meyers the devil.

Edited by Jim2Dokes

You and I had this talk in the Urban Meyer thread earlier this year right? If memory serves you said ND fans would take Urban in a second and I said I personally wouldn't and I knew plenty that wouldn't either? It seems pretty split in this thread, so I guess we were both right ha!

Yeah, but actions speak louder than words. we'll have to revisit this when kelly leaves.

Dude tarnished his legacy by being unrepentant scumbag, recruiting a literal murderer, and when given the chance to apologize to the wife of a woman beater he hired and kept even after knowing he was a woman beater just said "I'm sorry we are in this situation."

But he wins and that's the key. I remember after our 4 win season and we were tossing out names. Chip Kelly's would come up after he was sacked for breaking rules. I bet it wouldn't come up now. A losing season at Louisville will hurt Petrino's reputation more than him getting caught with a student.

Nearly every elite college coach winds up in a scandal. And as long as they win they are forgiven. Just like an elite player. I bet javon Mckinley couldn't drink like Michael Floyd and remain on the team. It's hard to stay at the top and the expectations and pressure is immense. Then you have us. On one hand we claim to be so virtous and only want coaches that maintain a clean program. While on the other hand we want to win 12 games a year. You ask too much.

So it was 31 arrests and Hernandez shot someone and busted someone eardrum while he was there. Urban put it all under the rug and didn’t allow the police to even do an investigation. Didn’t return calls and diverted the police as much as they could. Not to mention, the Florida fixer lawyer they had on speed dial. The OSU stuff is second nature to Urban, a solid percentage of his players were beating up theirs girlfriends and sexually assaulting women. very little, if not none game time missed. I can’t wait for the 30 for 30 on Meyer’s reign of terror. It will make Miami look like choir boys. This is beyond your average college football program with players doing this or that getting charged and then kicked off the team. Meyers the devil.

And kelly has at least 20 arrest. 3 players attacking police officers. A rape scandal that was kept out of the media. The same player kicked and killed his girlfriends dog. we had to forfeit games. chronic academic issues. And you best believe ND got a fixer lawyer as well. So one could easily spin it to make BK look just as bad if not worse because ND was an institute that never had these issues and under kelly it looks like an SEC school. To the point it now appears they have taken discipline out of his hands.

And when our players flunk classes, people start saying we need easy courses to keep our guys in good standing. Kid flunks a drug test and then folks start screaming legalize it. Say what you want but urban is ND's fans wet dream.

And kelly has at least 20 arrest. 3 players attacking police officers. A rape scandal that was kept out of the media. The same player kicked and killed his girlfriends dog. we had to forfeit games. chronic academic issues. And you best believe ND got a fixer lawyer as well. So one could easily spin it to make BK look just as bad if not worse because ND was an institute that never had these issues and under kelly it looks like an SEC school. To the point it now appears they have taken discipline out of his hands.

And when our players flunk classes, people start saying we need easy courses to keep our guys in good standing. Kid flunks a drug test and then folks start screaming legalize it. Say what you want but urban is ND's fans wet dream.

I don’t disagree with the last paragraph, but the first is full of misinformation.

I don’t disagree with the last paragraph, but the first is full of misinformation.

I didn't go for exact numbers or details. It was to simply show how a coach can be portrayed. The same way not everything said about urban or saying every other school save a handful are out of control is true.

I loved that you used the word "misinformation". It was the perfect choice. And that's not sarcasm even though it might sound that way.