I usually follow other forums...THIS tho

imroc

Talent wise ND is Top 20 solid or better across the board. Their best unit is probably the DL. They can get to QBs. WR/TE unit is deep. Nobody with great numbers, but several WRs/TEs that can hurt opposing defenses. Dexter Williams at TB is pretty good. But we have seen and had success against as good RBs. Weaknesses are a QB with a low ceiling, an OL that struggles vs quicker front 7s, a team tendency to play down and a HC that isn’t very good at anything. Overall, they have played more like an underperforming top 20 team than a top 5 team. Their elite ranking has been driven largely by a very weak schedule.

Ball St., Vandy and Pitt ... all close, fortunate Ws ... were just plain awful showings by the Irish. In every phase of the game. Very much like us against Rutgers. Decisive wins over Stanford, Navy and Va. Tech told us little about the Irish. All 3 of those teams are having very down years. So we’ll be only the 2nd good team ND has played to date....along with Michigan....who ND beat by 7 when UM was most beatable this year. A putrid SOS may be the Irish’s biggest weakness. We are far more battle tested.

I don’t think this game will be any different than any other this year. If McCall earns his paycheck, our OL does its job reasonably well and CT plays one of his better games we’ll have our chances to win the game.

GOUNUII

Their elite ranking has been driven largely by a very weak schedule....

His faith in the B1G is classic

Putrid SOS...lmao

Edited by imroc

Every message board has those guys. He can say whatever he wants. We are the number 3 team in the country. Sure we play down to our competition at times but, we are the number 3 team in the country with quite frankly one of the best qb's in the land. If that fan can't see that, he better hope his team and their coaches can.

One thing that Navy game reiterated to me was just how fast we are. Our team speed is the best it's been in years. Do we have some areas where we can improve? Yes, but we have a damn good team. I think we get in Northwestern's head, but it may be late in the game before we pull away...kind of like Stanford.

The only way that this isn’t a 2+ TD win for ND is if they turn the ball over. This Northwestern team just isn’t that good in any statistical sense, in the S&P rankings they are the 63rd best team in country. They are a team that cannot run the ball, if you dig a little deeper into the stats of their game against Wisconsin you’ll see it wasn’t as impressive as you would think. Prior to the Northwestern game Wisky had given up 210 & 300+ rushing yards to Illinois and Michigan respectively. The Cats have been beneficiaries of some real lucky breaks, such as Nebraska blowing a game where they had 99% win probability midway through the 4th quarter, Wisconsin having their starting QB injured, and Rutgers(!) giving them the game. This is a team that lost to Duke and Akron, this really shouldn’t be a close game.

Edited by Big Dog 816

The only way that this isn’t a 2+ TD win for ND is if they turn the ball over. This Northwestern team just isn’t that good in any statistical sense, in the S&P rankings they are the 63rd best team in country. They are team that cannot run the ball, if you dig a little deeper into the stats of their game against Wisconsin you’ll see it wasn’t as impressive as you would think. Prior to the Northwestern game Wisky had given up 210 & 300+ rushing yards to Illinois and Michigan respectively. The Cats have been beneficiaries of some real lucky breaks, such as Nebraska blowing a game where they had 99% win probability midway through the 4th quarter, Wisconsin having their starting QB injured, and Rutgers(!) giving them the game. This is a team that lost to Duke and Akron, this really shouldn’t be close.

Agreed. Even in there close game vs. Michigan, they barely got over 200 yards of offense.

They shouldn't get much past 20 points, ND should be able to get to 30.

Oops!

Forgot the link. More intelligence has shown since.

https://northwestern.forums.rivals.com/threads/notre-dame.40929/

Saw this little gem:

Ive watched most of the Irish games and Id say luck is on their side. Vandy was a much better team. Va Tech was about equal but melted at the end. You guys are a decent team that would finish in the middle of the mix if you were in the bigten. Better than purdue but Iowalike.

Im taking the pts. Easiest $100 ill ever make.

I do love your DL and WR but we are on lockdown mode. You caught us at a bad time as we are on a roll.

Yea, VTech was equal, till they were blown out. Vandy was a much better team, till they lost

He says ND would be a middle-of-the-road Big Ten team, and yet ND beat the best Big Ten team pretty handily (most people who watched the game would agree that the game was not as close as the score indicated)

Sure, anything can happen and Northwestern would definitely have a chance to beat ND, but come on...the things he said were just asinine

Edited by Franco

It's funny how these bush league dbags think they're the SEC. I could see that argument being made in the SEC where they have Georgia, LSU, and a Bama team that is astronomically good. Could we realistically drop two or three games in the SEC? Yes. But not in the Big Ten...who the hell do they even have? An overrated OSU team that is PERENIALLY overrated... A Michigan team that we beat... Who the hell else? Wiscsonsin isn't great. Purdue blows...

It's been a problem since I started at ND in 1999 and has probably been a problem for longer than that, but the Big Ten is worthless even though they think the world of themselves. There is NO conference that is remotely close to the SEC's strength...

So, as the millenials say... "Come at me, bro."

It's funny how these bush league dbags think they're the SEC. I could see that argument being made in the SEC where they have Georgia, LSU, and a Bama team that is astronomically good. Could we realistically drop two or three games in the SEC? Yes. But not in the Big Ten...who the hell do they even have? An overrated OSU team that is PERENIALLY overrated... A Michigan team that we beat... Who the hell else? Wiscsonsin isn't great. Purdue blows...

It's been a problem since I started at ND in 1999 and has probably been a problem for longer than that, but the Big Ten is worthless even though they think the world of themselves. There is NO conference that is remotely close to the SEC's strength...

So, as the millenials say... "Come at me, bro."

Especially in the West. What an embarrasment of a division and has been for however long it's been around. Even funnier is NW hasn't been able to win their crap division for 10 years and they want to talk down other teams.

I don't know a ton about their team. Do they have a single starter that ND would want to replace their starter with? A quick search doesn't show a single one.

Lockdown Mode. LOL.

The problem here and I’m dealing with this at work, ND has not done us fans any favors by crapping the bed in November or getting blown out against good competition. Fans don’t watch other teams religiously like we watch ND. We have been here for 25 years and have seen what a good ND vs a ok ND team looks like. I think we all can agree that this years team is pretty darn good with lots of depth. I think Northwestern and it’s fans are going to be surprised on how good we really are. This isn’t Miami of last year. This team looks strong and hungry.

This isn’t Miami of last year. This team looks strong and hungry.

Before the season began I predicted ND would go 10-2, with losses to Northwestern and USC.

I do think, however, that this team is much better than last year's team and has more depth. A better quarterback is running the show.

If this team didn't learn anything against Miami last year the it deserves to lose against Northwestern. I don't see any sign of that, however, This team does look strong and hungry.

ND loses only if they turn the ball over 3+ times, or if the offensive play-calling crawls back under the rock where it had been hiding before Book took over.

ND should win this game, and by 14 at least.

Agreed. Even in there close game vs. Michigan, they barely got over 200 yards of offense.

They shouldn't get much past 20 points, ND should be able to get to 30.

I watched their MSU game. Surprisingly, they outhit MSU in a 10 point win at East Lansing and their QB play was much better. We cannot overlook them, though we are fortunate they know they can lose the game and it won't affect their championship game hopes.

Aside from the post saying our SOS is bad I found the first post pretty insightful. This whole thing is giving me deja vu with the way this board was the week of Miami. Time to pump the brakes. ND is good, maybe great, but no team should be overlooked. NW is way better than I want them to be, but all things being equal Book hasn’t yet been spoiled this should be a solid W.

Aside from the post saying our SOS is bad I found the first post pretty insightful. This whole thing is giving me deja vu with the way this board was the week of Miami. Time to pump the brakes. ND is good, maybe great, but no team should be overlooked. NW is way better than I want them to be, but all things being equal Book hasn’t yet been spoiled this should be a solid W.

I understand your point, but Northwestern is nowhere near what Miami was last year. The stadium will be nowhere near the same either.

Yes, Northwestern can beat ND Saturday night. But if they play 10 times, ND wins 8 and 4 are probably blowouts.

Miami sent 6 guys to the NFL last year. NW doesn't have 6 NFL players in total on their team.