The benefit of a top 20 QB

corysold

As with most things, it is still too early to know if Ian Book is a top 20 QB.

However, at this point, his QB rating is 181.21 which is good for 7th best in the country.

I also know it is only 5 games into the season and these things will change. But here are the records of the Power 5 teams with QB's who rank in the top 20 of QB rating (Only in games vs FBS opponents):

Alabama 5-0

Oklahoma 5-0

West Virginia 4-0

Ohio St 5-0

Georgia 5-0

Notre Dame 5-0

Oregon 5-1

Clemson 5-0

Colorado 4-0

Stanford 4-1

NC St 4-0

Duke 4-1

Washington 4-1

So that is a record of 59-4.

Is that a chicken and an egg, where obviously if you get good QB play you win, or do you need good QB play to win in today's college football?

For reference, last year the top 10 QB's in rating were on teams with a record of 93-28. 7 had 10 plus wins. Only Wake Forest, Missouri and West Virginia didn't win 10 games.

So having a top 10 QB pretty much indicates your going to have a top 10 type team. Can Ian Book keep it up?

Book's really making Kelly get smarter by the day in the eyes of the public for sure.

Its funny I think this is close to the offense Mike Sanford would have preferred to run if Kelly and Denbrock would have let him call plays.

I think Kelly realized his mistake and gave the full reigns to Chip Long and Long only.

Interesting how two bright young offensive minds selected Book. I'm glad Long gave Kelly a chance to reconsider.

My opinion is the tight ends were telling Long they weren't getting the ball and Long brought it to Kelly and the close games finally changed Kelly's mind.

Go back to the last 15 years of college football national champions and find me the teams that won without an elite QB. Outside of some Bama "manage the game" players, most were dynamic and elite QBs. It's one thing (perhaps THE one thing) we've been missing.

2017 Jalen Hurts - 150.75 #20 in country

2016 Deshaun Watson - 151.15 #19

2015 Jake Coker - 146.96 #31

2014 JT Barrett - 169.12 #2

2013 Jameis Winston - 184.85 #1

2012 AJ McCarron - 175.28 #1

2011 AJ McCarron - 147.27 #25

2010 Cam Newton - 182.05 #2

2009 Greg McElroy - 140.75 #28

So in the non-Alabama division, you better have a top 5, elite level QB if you want to win the title. I'd argue Watson was much better than his #19 ranking would suggest.

• 4 weeks later...

Just to follow up on this a few weeks later.

Book is now #7 nationally in QB rating. Here are the top 10 and their team record:

Tagovaiola - 8-0 Alabama

Murray 7-1 Oklahoma

Grier 7-1 W. Virginia

Haskins 7-1 Ohio St

Fromm 7-1 Georgia

King 7-1 Houston

Book 5-0 (8-0)

McMarylon 7-1 Fresno St

Morgan 6-2 Florida International (6-0 vs their level)

Lawrence 8-0 Clemson

So it is apparent that having a QB capable of performing at a top 10 level almost guarantees success. Ohio St., OU and WV don't have highly ranked defenses either, so the QB is almost solely responsible for their success.

That has been the biggest missing factor IMO since Kelly got here, consistent top tier QB play.

Book is now #7 nationally in QB rating. Here are the top 10 and their team record:

Tagovaiola - 8-0 Alabama

Murray 7-1 Oklahoma

Grier 7-1 W. Virginia

Haskins 7-1 Ohio St

Fromm 7-1 Georgia

King 7-1 Houston

Book 5-0 (8-0)

McMarylon 7-1 Fresno St

Lawrence 8-0 Clemson

So it is apparent that having a QB capable of performing at a top 10 level almost guarantees success. Ohio St., OU and WV don't have highly ranked defenses either, so the QB is almost solely responsible for their success.

That has been the biggest missing factor IMO since Kelly got here, consistent top tier QB play.

So a good QB is important to a team? Thanks, I didn't know that.:peace:

Tagovaiola - 8-0 Alabama

Murray 7-1 Oklahoma

Grier 7-1 W. Virginia

Haskins 7-1 Ohio St

Fromm 7-1 Georgia

King 7-1 Houston

Book 5-0 (8-0)

McMarylon 7-1 Fresno St

Lawrence 8-0 Clemson

Should Lawrence get credit for 8-0 with Clemson? I'll confess, I am not sure how many games he has started or played in

Should Lawrence get credit for 8-0 with Clemson? I'll confess, I am not sure how many games he has started or played in

I think he’s officially started 4, but he’s thrown 14+ passes in 7 of 8. So he isn’t entirely responsible for 8-0, but much more than Book and NDs 8-0.