Looking at our schedule I see us winning between 4 and 8 games. The defense seems to determine our fate.

6 wins or less I think Kelly is fired

7 wins might require a bowl win to be retained

8 wins is progress.

Say we get 8 wins---9 after the bowl game. Call me crazy but 2018 could field a pretty strong team.

So screw 2017, in 2018 are we in the title picture?

Looking at our schedule I see us winning between 4 and 8 games. The defense seems to determine our fate.

8 wins is progress.

Say we get 8 wins---9 after the bowl game. Call me crazy but 2018 could field a pretty strong team.

Wait, you call 8 wins progress?? Why? Because we went 4-8 in '16?

We won 10 games in 2015. 8 wins isnt progress in 2017.

Wait, you call 8 wins progress?? Why? Because we went 4-8 in '16?

We won 10 games in 2015. 8 wins isnt progress in 2017.

Fine replace the word "progress" with "good enough to keep his job". Whatever you find more soothing to your butt.

I'm not sure they're better than a 7 win team bc the schedule is so brutal. I agree with Davis Love, there's no way the Defense will be the dumpster fire it was last year, but I don't think there's enough talent on that side of the ball. Again look at the Defense by position:

DE- Hayes- unknown quantity, but a lot of potential

DT- Tillery- Nothing special, plus an embarrassment to the program

DT- Bonner- non-factor his entire career, likely won't change

DE-Trumbetti- Hasn't done anything despite being a 3 year starter. Could be beaten out by Jay Hayes, who isn't anything special.

LB- Morgan- shown flashes of being a really good player. If he puts things together, he can have a very good season.

LB- Coney- Like Morgan, has also shown flashes of being a very good player.

Rover- Tranquil- LOL.

CB- Love- the one true star on the Defense.

CB- Watkins/Crawford- Major injury Concerns

SS- Studstill- probably thrown into the fire too soon last year, no surprise he struggled. The jury is still out.

FS- Coleman- I'd rather have a Coleman cooler than Nick Coleman.

There are two key questions:

1. If BK does struggle, is it worth keeping him to hold together the incoming recruiting class?

2. If BK does go, who is out there? My #1 is still Bill O'Brien. I think he'll be gone after this year as it's likely the Texans will again be avg-below avg bc of their sh1tty Offense.

Edited by ELDER06

Last year was a CATASTROPHY in every possible way , one of the worst pre-season to post season in ND history.

So echo is correct , we can't allow some moniker of progress from the 4-8 horror show to be seen as a job well done...

7 wins even 8 wins is only a rebound to mediocre and should be seen as such.

If we want to be fair to BK we can treat last year as an anomaly , and try to forget about it .....BUT IT ABSOLUTELY CANNOT BE SEEN AS A BASELINE FOR PROGRESS!

9 wins the least acceptable total on a team that we all see as a good team in the way it plays....

10 would mean changes were effective and would go a long way toward reset from 2016.....it would actually be hopeful.

That said I for one am NOT expecting 10 or even 9---Brian has smothered my expectations.....but I will be happy and open to forgive some things if he can do it.

aloha

Last year was a CATASTROPHY in every possible way , one of the worst pre-season to post season in ND history.

So echo is correct , we can't allow some moniker of progress from the 4-8 horror show to be seen as a job well done...

7 wins even 8 wins is only a rebound to mediocre and should be seen as such.

If we want to be fair to BK we can treat last year as an anomaly , and try to forget about it .....BUT IT ABSOLUTELY CANNOT BE SEEN AS A BASELINE FOR PROGRESS!

9 wins the least acceptable total on a team that we all see as a good team in the way it plays....

10 would mean changes were effective and would go a long way toward reset from 2016.....it would actually be hopeful.

That said I for one am NOT expecting 10 or even 9---Brian has smothered my expectations.....but I will be happy and open to forgive some things if he can do it.

aloha

Then to be fair, you have to throw out 2012 as the opposite anomaly. What do you have then? A 7-5 program that ND seems perfectly content with.

Then to be fair, you have to throw out 2012 as the opposite anomaly. What do you have then? A 7-5 program that ND seems perfectly content with.

Agreed. Baseline for Kelly is 8-4, 7-5. The admin feels that's the best we can hope to achieve in the current FB climate and things ND is or rather isn't willing to sacrifice at the altar of FB.

If I'm going to get rid of a coach that who has had 1 12 win season and pay him not to coach, these qualifications need to exist

1. more than one 12 win season in the last seven years.

2. A strong Likelyhood of A title within 7 years

3. A guy who can win at ND

That puts my sights on The Saban Meyer, Swinney type coach.

They aren't going to come coach ND.

Can Fleck be in that class Maybe, not likely(nothing against Fleck, but that's the top 3 coaches in the game recently)

Jack will stick with Kelly barring absolute meltdown for the forseeable future, in my opinion.

10 wins minimum.

9 W's is a reversion to the mean and indicative of an unacceptable ceiling for long term expectations...

What will happen? 8-4 with a ****** bowl game, a middling recruiting class and a further slide into the dustbin of history.

8 wins is progress.

If we win between 4-8 as you predict, probably not.

Sadly I see him coming back with an 8-4 record.

I just don't. Don't forget how important the Donors are, they've got a voice. After this past off season, the big swinging d1ck alumnus, won't be happy w/8 Wins. Again, there has to be a plan in place if Kelly gets the boot. You can't just fire him w/o having a replacement in mind. It will be interesting to see if Fleck has a good year at Minn, if he can be lured away after just one year. Have to think McIntrye is out of the running after the alleged domestic abuse cover up. Peterson isn't leaving UW. There's a reason nobody bothered to hire Les Miles.

I just don't. Don't forget how important the Donors are, they've got a voice. After this past off season, the big swinging d1ck alumnus, won't be happy w/8 Wins. Again, there has to be a plan in place if Kelly gets the boot. You can't just fire him w/o having a replacement in mind. It will be interesting to see if Fleck has a good year at Minn, if he can be lured away after just one year. Have to think McIntrye is out of the running after the alleged domestic abuse cover up. Peterson isn't leaving UW. There's a reason nobody bothered to hire Les Miles.

I'm not sure there has been that much planning for his replacement other than making him turn over his staff. It feels like to me that mediocrity is fine with Admin as long as we stop having scandals, suspensions and deaths. It feels like they don't care to be an elite football program anymore. Always slow to change and see the need when it is necessary.

Edited by VCDomer
I'm not sure there has been that much planning for his replacement other than making him turn over his staff. It feels like to me that mediocrity is fine with Admin as long as we stop having scandals, suspensions and deaths. It feels like they don't care to bean elite football program anymore. Always slow to change and see the when it is necessary.

The school is probably aloof bc it's run by priests with no concept of life in the real world. But they definitely understand you need $ to keep the lights on, and alumni do care. Sh1t will get uglier than this past off season of they don't get what they want. Not that cheating is ok, but football is more important to most alumns than being good Catholics.

All that said, I hope I'm wrong. I'm not a dbag like some of you on here who get off being able to say "I told you so" when they lose. I'd be beyond thrilled if they won 10/11 Regular Season games. However, IMO, the schedule is too difficult for a Defense severely lacking in talent.

Edited by ELDER06

Sooooo does anyone care to actually break down the schedule? I will go

Temple Owls* WIN: It's Temple

Georgia Bulldogs* WIN: I honestly feel we will get them early enough to surprise them

at Boston College Eagles* WIN: I don’t even think they hang. We win by 13

at Michigan State Spartans* WIN: Close but we find our swagger here

Miami (OH) RedHawks* WIN: It's MOH

at North Carolina Tar Heels* WIN: Tough win but we see the defense can step up

USC Trojans* LOSS: Dominated by 24 (I will be at this game)

NC State Wolfpack WIN: We get confidence back by a 10 point win

Wake Forest Demon Deacons* WIN: They hang early but we win by 17

at Miami (FL) Hurricanes* LOSS: Too athletic. Get us late with big plays. Lose by 6

Navy Midshipmen* WIN: BIG WIN!! Stronger and faster than ever late

at Stanford Cardinal* LOSS: ****** loss, both teams bad this game. 10-7 type game

We go 9-3 and into a bowl. We lose the bowl game but BK is retained. We have 17/22 coming back with big time recruits coming in. We roll next season 2018 and go 11-1, in the playoff. Momentum is built, assistants signed extensions, we lose in playoff.

BK retires and Fleck comes in and keep strength staff and Elko/Lea. Everyone else gone. Polian stays in a new fashion because he will retire soon but our most important thing with him is he is in a position to recruit!

Go Irish

Edited by dboe34
Sooooo does anyone care to actually break down the schedule? I will go

Temple Owls* WIN: It's Temple

Georgia Bulldogs* WIN: I honestly feel we will get them early enough to surprise them

at Boston College Eagles* WIN: I don’t even think they hang. We win by 13

at Michigan State Spartans* WIN: Close but we find our swagger here

Miami (OH) RedHawks* WIN: It's MOH

at North Carolina Tar Heels* WIN: Tough win but we see the defense can step up

USC Trojans* LOSS: Dominated by 24 (I will be at this game)

NC State Wolfpack WIN: We get confidence back by a 10 point win

Wake Forest Demon Deacons* WIN: They hang early but we win by 17

at Miami (FL) Hurricanes* LOSS: Too athletic. Get us late with big plays. Lose by 6

Navy Midshipmen* WIN: BIG WIN!! Stronger and faster than ever late

at Stanford Cardinal* LOSS: ****** loss, both teams bad this game. 10-7 type game

We go 9-3 and into a bowl. We lose the bowl game but BK is retained. We have 17/22 coming back with big time recruits coming in. We roll next season 2018 and go 11-1, in the playoff. Momentum is built, assistants signed extensions, we lose in playoff.

BK retires and Fleck comes in and keep strength staff and Elko/Lea. Everyone else gone. Polian stays in a new fashion because he will retire soon but our most important thing with him is he is in a position to recruit!

Go Irish

Temple- Win

UGA- tossup. Most impt game of yr, MUST win

BC- Win, but it will be a tough game like always

MSU- loss. On the road, expecting a much better MSU team

MOH- Win

UNC- Tossup

USC- Loss. Too much speed at the skill positions

NC St- Win, payback for last yr

Wake- Win

Miami- Tossup. For some reason, ND has their #

Navy- Win

Stanford- Loss.

Temple- Win

UGA- tossup. Most impt game of yr, MUST win

BC- Win, but it will be a tough game like always

MSU- loss. On the road, expecting a much better MSU team

MOH- Win

UNC- Tossup

USC- Loss. Too much speed at the skill positions

NC St- Win, payback for last yr

Wake- Win

Miami- Tossup. For some reason, ND has their #

Navy- Win

Stanford- Loss.

I'm not. They for some reason aren't in the headlines but they have had an offseason from hell, Baylor-esque...

http://www.mlive.com/spartans/index.ssf/2017/03/msu_police_send_football_sexua.html

3 players and a coach? Woof. Not only that but they still have no answer at QB...they have COUNTLESS question marks on their offensive line, they lost three starters and their best up and coming frosh to transfer...post spring game most of the big Michigan State sites out there project a 6-7 win campaign next season. Losing to Michigan State this year is a recipe for another mediocre season and grounds for regime change.

I'm not. They for some reason aren't in the headlines but they have had an offseason from hell, Baylor-esque...

http://www.mlive.com/spartans/index.ssf/2017/03/msu_police_send_football_sexua.html

3 players and a coach? Woof. Not only that but they still have no answer at QB...they have COUNTLESS question marks on their offensive line, they lost three starters and their best up and coming frosh to transfer...post spring game most of the big Michigan State sites out there project a 6-7 win campaign next season. Losing to Michigan State this year is a recipe for another mediocre season and grounds for regime change.

Good point but, isn't MSU a program that relies on it's scheme or style of play over talent sorta like a Navy? And does our new defense match up well with the more smash mouth teams? I'm just asking, I don't know the answer.

The school is probably aloof bc it's run by priests with no concept of life in the real world. But they definitely understand you need $ to keep the lights on, and alumni do care. Sh1t will get uglier than this past off season of they don't get what they want. Not that cheating is ok, but football is more important to most alumns than being good Catholics.

All that said, I hope I'm wrong. I'm not a dbag like some of you on here who get off being able to say "I told you so" when they lose. I'd be beyond thrilled if they won 10/11 Regular Season games. However, IMO, the schedule is too difficult for a Defense severely lacking in talent.

I feel you. I would be ecstatic with 9-10 wins every year and decent bowl wins. I think back on all the predictions of what year it would all really come together for this football program. Seems as though those years come and go with our program mired in scandals, transfers, suspensions, head scratching losses and the inevitable frustration of trying to figure out what CBK is doing and who we can get to replace him. I will hope for the miraculous turn around this year, but I really feel like we need to wave goodbye to Kelly before that will happen.

Edited by VCDomer

As bad as last year was, ND did lose 7 of their games by one score. This year poses a bit tougher schedule, but if Elko can get the defense to be at least average, that should go a long way to 8 wins. If Wimbush can play well I think ND can win 10-11.

Of course, the defense could be just as bad as last year, Wimbush could implode and it could be another 4-5 win year.

As bad as last year was, ND did lose 7 of their games by one score. This year poses a bit tougher schedule, but if Elko can get the defense to be at least average, that should go a long way to 8 wins. If Wimbush can play well I think ND can win 10-11.

Of course, the defense could be just as bad as last year, Wimbush could implode and it could be another 4-5 win year.

It's unlikely they'll win 10 games, but it's not impossible. They do have some real talent on Offense. The obvious X-factor is Wimbush, who could have a DeShaun Watson/Jameis Winston breakout season in his first year as a starter. He could also struggle, there's no way to know until he gets on the field.

I feel you. I would be ecstatic with 9-10 wins every year and decent bowl wins. I think back on all the predictions of what yet it would al really come together for this football program. Seems as though those years come and go with our program mired in scandals, transfers, suspensions, head scratching losses and the inevitable frustration of trying to figure out what CBK is doing and who we can get to replace him. I will hope for the miraculous turn around this year, but I really feel like we need to wave goodbye to Kelly before that will happen.

In this case being skeptical is pragmatic. I'm not a Brian Kelly fan, but I am a ND fan. And I'd much rather see him AND ND succeed, than both fall on their face again.