Thankful ND didn't hire this S&C coach

Thank god, ND did not hire this guy. New Oregon coach Willie Taggert hired him a few weeks ago. This would have been the end of Kelly if it was his choice for S&C coach.

According to Bleacher Report, the University of Oregon football program suspended strength and conditioning coach Irele Oderinde without pay for one month after three players were hospitalized while participating in offseason workouts, Jen Beyrle of The Oregonian reported on Tuesday.

Jim Radcliffe will be the program's interim strength and conditioning coach while Oderinde serves his suspension. Upon his return, Oderinde will also report to Oregon's director of performance and sports science Andrew Murray instead of Taggart.

In an initial report by Andrew Greif of The Oregonian on Monday, it was revealed that offensive linemen Doug Brenner and Sam Poutasi and tight end Cam McCormick were described to be in "fair condition" after being transported to PeaceHealth Sacred Heart Medical Center.

Poutasi was diagnosed with rhabdomyolysis, which affects soft tissue and could lead to kidney damage in severe cases.

However, the team continued to perform the same workouts which multiple sources described to Greif as "akin to military basic training."

Thank god, ND did not hire this guy. New Oregon coach Willie Taggert hired him a few weeks ago. This would have been the end of Kelly if it was his choice for S&C coach.

According to Bleacher Report, the University of Oregon football program suspended strength and conditioning coach Irele Oderinde without pay for one month after three players were hospitalized while participating in offseason workouts, Jen Beyrle of The Oregonian reported on Tuesday.

Jim Radcliffe will be the program's interim strength and conditioning coach while Oderinde serves his suspension. Upon his return, Oderinde will also report to Oregon's director of performance and sports science Andrew Murray instead of Taggart.

In an initial report by Andrew Greif of The Oregonian on Monday, it was revealed that offensive linemen Doug Brenner and Sam Poutasi and tight end Cam McCormick were described to be in "fair condition" after being transported to PeaceHealth Sacred Heart Medical Center.

Poutasi was diagnosed with rhabdomyolysis, which affects soft tissue and could lead to kidney damage in severe cases.

However, the team continued to perform the same workouts which multiple sources described to Greif as "akin to military basic training."

Haha, has that person ever completed basic training? BT is a joke and super easy. Tailored to the lowest common denominator. This sounds way way worse.

Sounds like they were all doing crossfit lol

I read a great article on CrossFit and Rhabdomyolysis a couple of years back. Actually this article: https://medium.com/@ericrobertson/crossfits-dirty-little-secret-97bcce70356d#.gut0ba213

That was a good read. The other one I liked is the female gyno Crossfitter who said it was her professional opinion it was okay to pee a little bit during double unders.

Craziness, Crossfit is just a self worshipping fitness cult.

Wasn't that rumored to be tied to rampant coke abuse in the program?

Guy's not taking their off season workouts seriously and getting busted on the annual hell day or whatever it was called. I suspect the same at UO, no HC, time to get fat and happy. Then a new sheriff comes to town.

Guy's not taking their off season workouts seriously and getting busted on the annual hell day or whatever it was called. I suspect the same at UO, no HC, time to get fat and happy. Then a new sheriff comes to town.

While this is probably true, a new coach comes in and he's tasked with looking out for the well-being of his players and they're in the hospital in the first month of workouts. Not a good look for the program and other coaches will definitely negatively recruit this fact to any parent listening.

While this is probably true, a new coach comes in and he's tasked with looking out for the well-being of his players and they're in the hospital in the first month of workouts. Not a good look for the program and other coaches will definitely negatively recruit this fact to any parent listening.

With a program as popular as Oregon, with its Nike backing and facilities, will barely even see a bump in the road with recruiting. Not saying I agree or disagree with what happened. It does happen for reasons usually associated with the affected not being adequately prepared ala taking their training seriously, then suffering the consequences.

Black flag practices, as we called them in wrestling, were effectively practiced for years. You knew it was coming and could predict right around the week it would pop up in the season. I know at Iowa it's known well ahead of time when it's coming, per my cousin who played for Ferentz and is close with Doyle.

I read a great article on CrossFit and Rhabdomyolysis a couple of years back. Actually this article: https://medium.com/@ericrobertson/crossfits-dirty-little-secret-97bcce70356d#.gut0ba213

That was a good read. The other one I liked is the female gyno Crossfitter who said it was her professional opinion it was okay to pee a little bit during double unders.

Craziness, Crossfit is just a self worshipping fitness cult.

Chiropractors love crossfit, keeps their clinic busy lol. There are some things I like about crossfit, namely getting people working out and the emphasis on core compound lifts. I really hate timed maximal weight and reps though, especially for anyone who isn't considered an advanced lifter. I could go on quite bit about it, but it's probably a better topic for Open.

BTW he was at ND under Weis and Mendoza....

Do they really need to be working out that hard at the beginning of January? I mean they don't play a game for another 8 months.

Physical advancement takes place only when in offseason. If you are practicing actual football each day, weight-lifting and conditioning do not have nearly the same effect. Our athletic trainers harped on that last season. If players are going to lift or condition during the season it will simply maintain their current physical state rather than improve it.

Physical advancement takes place only when in offseason. If you are practicing actual football each day, weight-lifting and conditioning do not have nearly the same effect. Our athletic trainers harped on that last season. If players are going to lift or condition during the season it will simply maintain their current physical state rather than improve it.

How'd that work out for us?

I know a bunch of athletes who all suffered the same muscle condition after various workouts at different universities with different coaches and drills and every single one of them smoked weed every day. I always kind of assumed that was the common denominator. Probably not, but it is a strange coincidence. (and no, I'm not talking about the average university where a high percentage of athletes smoke weed)

Thanks for that tidbit captain obvious.

I question what good doing push ups for an hour in January is going to do when you are trying to peak in September. NFL guys for example won't return to their programs until April so why do colleges have guys pissing blood a week after Christmas?

Thanks for that tidbit captain obvious.

I question what good doing push ups for an hour in January is going to do when you are trying to peak in September. NFL guys for example won't return to their programs until April so why do colleges have guys pissing blood a week after Christmas?

I'm saying due to this that some S+C Coaches go overkill in the offseason and it usually only hurts student athletes. Coaches sometimes create extreme versions of competition that they think will seperate the strong from the weak without factoring in what the training is actually doing for the student athlete. My response is yes they do need to be working extremely hard in the offseason. An hour of push-ups and up-downs is simply a competitive type of workout to see who can do it. They should be working hard in the weight room and doing speed drills.

The situation just reminds me of the line from remember the titans "there's a fine line between tough and crazy and you're flirting with it"

I'm saying due to this that some S+C Coaches go overkill in the offseason and it usually only hurts student athletes. Coaches sometimes create extreme versions of competition that they think will seperate the strong from the weak without factoring in what the training is actually doing for the student athlete. My response is yes they do need to be working extremely hard in the offseason. An hour of push-ups and up-downs is simply a competitive type of workout to see who can do it. They should be working hard in the weight room and doing speed drills.

The situation just reminds me of the line from remember the titans "there's a fine line between tough and crazy and you're flirting with it"

My point is why does the off season start in early January? I mean Bama has the most physically impressive roster in CFB and they surely won't do dick for another month as they just finished their season.

You work guys too hard for too long then they break down and flatline. I see no purpose for this type of work so soon after the end of the previous season. They basically just become one full year and a long slog.

dont college teams get like 20 hrs a week with their team (during full-on practice times, so even less now i would assume), while the NFL gets much more time with their teams

so if you break down all the hours a college team gets year round versus the NFL, they probably still get less