"The Short List"

FaithInIrishForever

I truly think BK and Charlie Strong together would be tough to beat. We would immediately become a recruiting powerhouse with the help of Strong. Strong makes up for nearly all of BK's inefficiencies....still would need a great game manager, which moronically should be the easy part of the coaching

Believe it or not I don't even believe hiring Strong as DC will turn BK's tenure around. BK is similiar to Bob Davie- he will be a terrible head coach even if he has the best assistant coaching staff in the nation.

Zook sucked as head coach at UF even though he had Charlie Strong as DC. Davie sucked as ND head coach even though he had Strong as a defensive assistant, Mattison as DC, and Urban Meyer, Dan Mullen and Steve Addazio as offensive assistants.

Considering that both Zook and Davie were miserable failures despite hiring Strong as an assistant, I don't at all believe that BK will turn his coaching tenure around if he hires Strong.

Anyway, this is all a moot point because Strong is not coming to ND. I suspect he'll either stay unemployed or join ESPN for a year. What's the point in a new job when you're getting paid millions not to work by UT?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive watched dozens of PJ Fleck videos and I cant get enough. The way he teaches and gives speeches is like he stepped right out of a movie. I would be jealous whatever team has the balls to go get him because he would instantly recharge whatever program hired him. Sadly, ND has no balls. They hire safe boring coaches that get 8 wins.

100% agree.

Ive watched dozens of PJ Fleck videos and I cant get enough. The way he teaches and gives speeches is like he stepped right out of a movie. I would be jealous whatever team has the balls to go get him because he would instantly recharge whatever program hired him. Sadly, ND has no balls. They hire safe boring coaches that get 8 wins.

Couldn't agree more, its really dissapointing nd would never pull the trigger on him. Maybe were wrong but I'm definitely not holding my breath

That stupid ****ing extension, why do you sign a coach to an extension when he goes 10-3 and gets absolutely smashed in another BCS bowl. I guess wins over Navy and Temple were enough for the lawyer.

How do you mess up long extensions on two straight coaches? If it weren't for that stupid extension this joke would be gone already.

It's always interesting to read these new HC speculations, which seem to come in 3 or 4 year cycles. My opinion(s): Chris Peterson isn't leaving Washington for Notre Dame. Mike Leach would not fit the NDU culture at all. Mike Gundy is a good coach, but he would be an odd fit at Notre Dame (have you seen his mullet?). Bob Stoops won't likely be available (at 56, he's drawn to the south and year-round golfing), but Mark Stoops, his baby brother, might be. Mark Stoops developed Florida State's defense and has done pretty well at Kentucky against great odds. Who knows?

It's always interesting to read these new HC speculations, which seem to come in 3 or 4 year cycles. My opinion(s): Chris Peterson isn't leaving Washington for Notre Dame. Mike Leach would not fit the NDU culture at all. Mike Gundy is a good coach, but he would be an odd fit at Notre Dame (have you seen his mullet?). Bob Stoops won't likely be available (at 56, he's drawn to the south and year-round golfing), but Mark Stoops, his baby brother, might be. Mark Stoops developed Florida State's defense and has done pretty well at Kentucky against great odds. Who knows?

Oklahoma isn't the south and it's hardly year round golfing weather. Fleck, McIntyre, and Fedora are the only 3 realistic options available.

Oklahoma isn't the south and it's hardly year round golfing weather. Fleck, McIntyre, and Fedora are the only 3 realistic options available.

Not a fan of Fedora. Only one season in five better than 8-4 at UNC. Also, only one real good season at Southern Miss with winning percentage of 64% compared to previous coach's 59% winning percentage.

For me, McIntyre's second and third years at Colorado are not good indicators of a great coach. Too little progress in those years.

I'm on the Fleck bandwagon since he has landed the highest rated recruiting class in the MAC every year since he started at Western Michigan (not counting the first class that wasn't really his). At the end of the day, recruiting is one of the major requirements of a great coach these days. Staff hiring, player development, scheme selection, and game day coaching being the others.

Fleck is also one of the few coaches out there that has both played and coached in the NFL.

Not a fan of Fedora. Only one season in five better than 8-4 at UNC. Also, only one real good season at Southern Miss with winning percentage of 64% compared to previous coach's 59% winning percentage.

For me, McIntyre's second and third years at Colorado are not good indicators of a great coach. Too little progress in those years.

I'm on the Fleck bandwagon since he has landed the highest rated recruiting class in the MAC every year since he started at Western Michigan (not counting the first class that wasn't really his). At the end of the day, recruiting is one of the major requirements of a great coach these days. Staff hiring, player development, scheme selection, and game day coaching being the others.

Fleck is also one of the few coaches out there that has both played and coached in the NFL.

To be fair, McIntyre took over a program that hasn't saw a winning record since Gary Barnett's 7-6 2005 season. They have been dreadful for awhile. If he can sustain it, is another question.

To be fair, McIntyre took over a program that hasn't saw a winning record since Gary Barnett's 7-6 2005 season. They have been dreadful for awhile. If he can sustain it, is another question.

Also MacIntyre engineered a similar turnaround at his previous stop, San Jose St I think it was. Similar to Colorado, they were pretty dreadful before his arrival. His overall coaching record probably doesn't reflect the reality of his coaching prowess, having taken over 2 floundering programs and turning them around. I, for one, think he would be a good hire.

I don't see BK getting fired but I'm hopeful. If I were going for a coach there are two that really interest me. My first choice is Matt Rhule from Temple and second is Whittingham from Utah. I really like Rhule and how he's developed what little talent he has at Temple

Absolutely agree on Rhule being the guy for ND, Said so in another thread. Great leader, charismatic, and has built a powerhouse in Temple with not much elite personnel to work with. He coaches up players and his teams are solid on offense, defense and ST.

Got get 'em Jack!

Edited by Jersey Irish

I don't see BK getting fired but I'm hopeful. If I were going for a coach there are two that really interest me. My first choice is Matt Rhule from Temple and second is Whittingham from Utah. I really like Rhule and how he's developed what little talent he has at Temple

I just don't see him getting booted either, but I hope I'm as wrong as can be. The sad effing part is that if he's back - even w/staff changes - where will the excitement come from going in to next season? Wtf will we have to really be optimistic about? The "personality" of a team still comes from the top down. As I've said before, our passionate fans deserve better.

I just don't see him getting booted either, but I hope I'm as wrong as can be. The sad effing part is that if he's back - even w/staff changes - where will the excitement come from going in to next season? Wtf will we have to really be optimistic about? The "personality" of a team still comes from the top down. As I've said before, our passionate fans deserve better.

Yup there will be zero buzz about this team or program if he is retained, absolutely none. Feels just like to me going into the 2008 and 2009 seasons. Everyone knows he's a dead man walking and it's just a matter of time. Another 6/7 wins season or 2 just like good Old charlie after his 3-9 season should get the job done

Yup there will be zero buzz about this team or program if he is retained, absolutely none. Feels just like to me going into the 2008 and 2009 seasons. Everyone knows he's a dead man walking and it's just a matter of time. Another 6/7 wins season or 2 just like good Old charlie after his 3-9 season should get the job done

Sure looked like it today - that looked like a group of disinterested, defeated players.....and a jackass named Tillery

The more I watch videos and read into Fleck the more I think we should pull the trigger on him fast. I could care less about him being divorced, the numbers on divorce rates is stupid high. Plus noone other then the two people in the relationship had a clue what went on.

If age is the issue I think you have to look at how much this guy has been through at such a young age. He checks every box in terms of coaching as well, I think he started out under Tressell as well.

The more I watch videos and read into Fleck the more I think we should pull the trigger on him fast. I could care less about him being divorced, the numbers on divorce rates is stupid high. Plus noone other then the two people in the relationship had a clue what went on.

If age is the issue I think you have to look at how much this guy has been through at such a young age. He checks every box in terms of coaching as well, I think he started out under Tressell as well.

People have no clue what they're talking about if they think that's a real issue. It has everything to do with his age and inexperience

People have no clue what they're talking about if they think that's a real issue. It has everything to do with his age and inexperience

Fleck's divorce should certainly NOT be an impediment to his hiring as ND's coach when Fr Jenkins, who after he was told not to by his local bishop, giave the university's Laetare Medal to Biden who as a "Catholic" supports abortion and same sex marriage. That would be two-faced.

Les Miles is not a great defensive mind. Prior to becoming head coach at Oklahoma State, his jobs were always on the offensive side, including offensive coordinator. He's 63, which doesn't disqualify him.

Jon Gruden, whose name comes up for every job, would be a terrible choice as a college coach. He hasn't coached college football for nearly 25 years. Imagine him dealing with NDU's rules and culture.

Charlie Strong would be a great defensive coordinator for Notre Dame. His personal issues, involving a Louisville donor's wife, could stand in the way.

Mike Gundy has become a very good head coach. I believe he would be willing to move--he seriously entertained the Tennessee job before Butch Jones--but whether he would move to Big 10 country? Larry Fedora and Todd Monken were assistants under Gundy.

The Notre Dame fan base may not find it palatable, but hiring one of the fine coordinators out there may be a smart move. Tim Drevno at U of M is well qualified to be a head coach, though he seems married to Harbaugh. Sonny Cumbie at TCU is a young, brilliant offensive mind. Brent Venables, defensive coordinator at Clemson, is ready--he coached and played under Bill Snyder and coached under Bob Stoops; Clemson's defense.... Mike Sanford: he's soon going to be a head coach somewhere.

If someone with P5 head coaching experience is demanded, there's Stoops. Not Bob--he's not taking another college job--but Mark. He developed Florida State's defense and has resurrected Kentucky's football program; Kentucky beat Louisville and Lamar Jackson on Saturday. He's recruited better than any coach in Kentucky's recent history (Bear Bryant, 1946-53, may have done better). Stoops is from Youngstown and Catholic, of course; he would fit Notre Dame.