Fire Kelly Thread

KellyisNasty

Agreed. Unless admissions and grades are relaxed, ND will need everything to fall into place perfectly to win a championship - recruiting, coaching, grades, behavior, and luck. You just can't be elite with these self-imposed restrictions.

People point to Stanford as evidence that an academic-centric school can field a dominant football team. The difference is that Stanford had Jim Harbaugh. We are seeing now Stanford's steady decline with Shaw, who is a great coach but not Jim Harbaugh.

While I agree that Harbaugh got Stanford going, we have been saying Stanford was going to drop off the face of the earth since a) Harbaugh left, b) Luck left, c) Harbaugh's recruits and assistants left. This year is the first year they have looked inferior, and it has a lot to do with the amount of talent that left from last year. Their offense this year is McCaffrey and little else, especially without a multi-year QB starter and experienced OL, they lost a lot on D too. Shaw is a really good coach and I predict Stanford's issues this year are a minor setback going forward. As long as he's there they will be a good/solid team.

I'd take Shaw as a coach any day. Stanford reminds me a lot of Lou's teams, tough grind it out offense and defense with quality special teams. Remember for all Harbaugh did there, he never won a title, conference or otherwise.

Edited by jessemoore97

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

While I agree that Harbaugh got Stanford going, we have been saying Stanford was going to drop off the face of the earth since a) Harbaugh left, b) Luck left, c) Harbaugh's recruits and assistants left. This year is the first year they have looked inferior, and it has a lot to do with the amount of talent that left from last year. Their offense this year is McCaffrey and little else, especially without a multi-year QB starter and experienced OL, they lost a lot on D too. Shaw is a really good coach and I predict Stanford's issues this year are a minor setback going forward. As long as he's there they will be a good/solid team.

I'd take Shaw as a coach any day. Stanford reminds me a lot of Lou's teams, tough grind it out offense and defense with quality special teams. Remember for all Harbaugh did there, he never won a title, conference or otherwise.

Yuck. I put Shaw right there with Helfrich as coaches who only succeeded for a period of time because they walked into cushy jobs.

I say get rid of Jack and hire Jimmy Clausen as AD. Not only will he drive a truckload of money to coaching candidates, he will drive a hummer limo filled with cash to whatever door we want.

Almost. Hogan Blake Martinez and a few were the Harbaugh leftovers from last year. THIS YEAR is all Shaw's guys and his philosophy. It doesn't seem to be going as planned so far.

I don't know where to ask this, or if it has been asked lately. I see one of the things said about ND and the inability to win being the high academic standards. question- is this something that could seriously/realistically be lowered? if not then i think it's going to be more difficult to win. I think they should lower the standards to get better players on the football team.

ND had 6 possessions that started at the NCST 25 or better.

They ran 19 offensive plays....17 were passes.

12-23 first down plays were pass

Yep, great stat. All we had to do was run half that time and we put up six more points. We probably never get the punt blocked either.

Yuck. I put Shaw right there with Helfrich as coaches who only succeeded for a period of time because they walked into cushy jobs.

I say get rid of Jack and hire Jimmy Clausen as AD. Not only will he drive a truckload of money to coaching candidates, he will drive a hummer limo filled with cash to whatever door we want.

LOL, Jimmy!! Here's the fingers I want you to win NC rings for me since we didn't quite get there...

Agreed he hung onto what Harbaugh built there for a few good years but it will soon start to unravel. Still won a BCS bowl so he's a better coach than Kelly IMO but that's a team we should beat and if we don't Army might be the only win.

For what it is worth, Harbaugh was only at Stanford 4 years with a record of 29–21.

Shaw is in his sixth year and is 57-16.

For what it is worth, Harbaugh was only at Stanford 4 years with a record of 29–21.

Shaw is in his sixth year and is 57-16.

Stanford was a complete mess before Harbaugh got there. He beat USC in there prime with a fourth string guy who is probably doing surgery somewhere. When he left he had that program rolling. Hell he was running up the score on Carroll of all people.

I'm sorry but to ask to lower the academic standards for "better players" is ridiculous! That's basically asking every student who doesn't play that it's OK not to hold a high standard. The University has ALWAYS had high standards, you know this coming in when offered that scholarship! If you want lower standards go play at one of those other dirt bag schools. Not only are you an athlete, you are walking away with a degree and top notch education from the University of ND. I'd give my right arm just to have been a student there! Student first....

I'm sorry but to ask to lower the academic standards for "better players" is ridiculous! That's basically asking every student who doesn't play that it's OK not to hold a high standard. The University has ALWAYS had high standards, you know this coming in when offered that scholarship! If you want lower standards go play at one of those other dirt bag schools. Not only are you an athlete, you are walking away with a degree and top notch education from the University of ND. I'd give my right arm just to have been a student there! Student first....

Actually....no. It hasn't.

As a fan, I couldn't care less what the players transcripts look like. Don't get into trouble, act like a responsible grown man, and be respectful. After that, go kick *** on Saturdays. Knowing that ND's players got good grades in high school doesn't make them more fun to watch. I don't care what they are majoring in and I don't care what they got on their midterms.

Plus, college football players aren't regular students. Many think they should be paid, and it isn't a ridiculous argument. They dedicate a ton of physical and mental energy to their sport and it is really difficult to simultaneously dedicate similar time and energy to studying. You can ask them to, but you are handicapping them come Saturday when they play guys who have more time for rest, rehab, lifting, and watching film.

These kids have athletic gifts that allow them to get a great education. Regular students are not held to the same standards as student athletes, so student athletes should have a different set of requirements as well. I am not saying that we need to pull a 'Bama and let Forrest Gump in or anything like that, but apples to oranges needn't be a thing.

That said I don't think the exceptions are a huge benefit, there is no sense in letting a kid in the school if he isn't going to succeed here. It isn't just admissions that is an issue.