Anyone Worried About The Offense?

TE production is probably a combination of drop in talent (ND's run was pretty unique and spoiled fans) and Kizer not looking for TEs the same as previous QBs. When talent level increases due to Jones coming back, new blood, or simple development and Kizer moves on, there is always a chance that TE production pops back up.

I think having mobile QB's takes away a little as well....instead of checking down our QB usually keeps looking deep while moving his feet...He generally either finds an open receiver he likes or takes off....Golson and Eifert were different because Eifert was a college WR with TE size....Niklas didn't have great receiving seasons here, he got drafted due to amazing size/athleticism....I don't see it picking back up unless there is a TE that fits that WR/TE mold (Alize very well could)

I think having mobile QB's takes away a little as well....instead of checking down our QB usually keeps looking deep while moving his feet...He generally either finds an open receiver he likes or takes off....Golson and Eifert were different because Eifert was a college WR with TE size....Niklas didn't have great receiving seasons here, he got drafted due to amazing size/athleticism....I don't see it picking back up unless there is a TE that fits that WR/TE mold (Alize very well could)

This is a good observation. I agree. This is partly why I want Kelly gone. I am sick and tired of this offensive scheme. I want our next coach to run a pro style offense in the majority with occasional zone read. It really seems like it takes forever for a play to develop and be executed. Superior offensive line is not being utilized correctly. JTennant has made several good points about our blocking scheme as well.

Notre Dame runs a very predictable running offense. You can see that Defensive Coordinators know this, because you can see how quickly opposing safeties and linebackers attack our runs and disrupt lanes even before they get opened.

This all get worked out by opposing teams during the week leading up to our game and it's a piece of cake to stop our running game.

The speed in which they attack us is good coaching. Our predictability is bad coaching.

Edited by Frankus
You guys what to b1tch about any and everything under the sun. Just focus on fixing the god dam Defense and things will be fine.

Fine as long as we're playing Duke and the other 70% of lousy teams we play that have weak defenses. It's if/when we fix the defense and get to the elite teams that have great defenses (Alabama/OSU) that we must be able to run the ball. Kelly's best teams have never been able to run against elite defenses.

Sadly, he can't currently run against lousy ones.

Fine as long as we're playing Duke and the other 70% of lousy teams we play that have weak defenses. It's if/when we fix the defense and get to the elite teams that have great defenses (Alabama/OSU) that we must be able to run the ball. Kelly's best teams have never been able to run against elite defenses.

Sadly, he can't currently run against lousy ones.

That's a Hiestand issue. The Offense is good enough to beat any of the teams left on the schedule. The Defense is so bad they could lose to anyone left on the schedule.

You can't tackle (pun) all of these issues at once.

Edited by ELDER06
LOL. It's a message board.. Bound to find lot's of bitching in around these parts

:D

It gets old. There's plenty to be upset about, but you have to focus on the real issues: everything w/ the Defense and the poor run blocking. Everything aside from that is irrelevant.

It gets old. There's plenty to be upset about, but you have to focus on the real issues: everything w/ the Defense and the poor run blocking. Everything aside from that is irrelevant.

I was referencing something I said over two years ago about Tight End U coming to an end.. Sue me

I was referencing something I said over two years ago about Tight End U coming to an end.. Sue me

I won't sue you, but you're dead wrong. Jones will be a solid player, and Kmet and Wright are two of, if not the best, TEs in the country. ND will have no issue getting TEs into it's program.

Well thank you professor for schooling us on what is important. Now GET OFF MY LAWN! SMH

I won't sue you, but you're dead wrong. Jones will be a solid player, and Kmet and Wright are two of, if not the best, TEs in the country. ND will have no issue getting TEs into it's program.

LOL. The writing was on the wall whenever we relegated Eifert to running go routes in 2012.

Kelly will not develop these TE's it takes more than 5 stars next to your name coming into school to constitute TE U.

His scheme is not big body TE friendly. Get over it. It's not the end of the world. There are things his scheme does well that Weis's scheme did not allow for.. I was just stating the obvious if you actually watch football but it sounds like you like to beat your meat to recruiting reports.

LOL. The writing was on the wall whenever we relegated Eifert to running go routes in 2012.

Kelly will not develop these TE's it takes more than 5 stars next to your name coming into school to constitute TE U.

His scheme is not big body TE friendly. Get over it. It's not the end of the world. There are things his scheme does well that Weis's scheme did not allow for.. I was just stating the obvious if you actually watch football but it sounds like you like to beat your meat to recruiting reports.

TEs since Eifert:

Nicklas

Koyack

Smythe

Not exactly the types you can split out as WRs, maybe you should pay attention instead of just b1tchin

My issue is the short routes by Kizer. I wonder if his percentage was better on the medium and long routes over the short routes. He just seems lack touch and timing.

I was on the chat room during the game and the word we used was finesse. He just lacks finesse right now.

Against inferior opponents..yes. He has some basic deficiencies that are glaring.

Wanna find me a college QB this year that doesn't have "glaring deficiencies?" Kizer has been the best college QB in the nation not named Lamar Jackson (who outplayed the hell out of Watson tonight in literally every category) and is the #1 NFL prospect.