Kelly out - Miles in

If I had to put money on it today I would bet Butch Jones is the next head coach at ND. Catholic, successful head coach at an SEC school, has had success at every level.

Describe Butch Jones' "success"

5-7, 7-6, 9-4 at a state SEC School..

Jury is out bub. We have a hung jury on our coach. Dunno why you wanna make a move to gamble on an unkown commodity at this juncture.

And Notre Dame is not a vertical move from UT. I'd rather coach at UT

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Describe Butch Jones' "success"

5-7, 7-6, 9-4 at a state SEC School..

Jury is out bub. We have a hung jury on our coach. Dunno why you wanna make a move to gamble on an unkown commodity at this juncture.

And Notre Dame is not a vertical move from UT. I'd rather coach at UT

He has turned around a moribund Tennessee program. They're relevant again. Won at Cincinnati before that.

I'm not saying I have a man crush on the guy. I just think BK is likely to be at ND through next season, and I'm not sure what hot coaches will be available. Herman will be snapped up before then. Patterson and his wife love Fort Worth and he has a pretty sweet gig going.

Jones is a guy who might be willing to take the job.

We'll just disagree on ND not being a vertical move from Tennessee.

He has turned around a moribund Tennessee program. They're relevant again. Won at Cincinnati before that.

I'm not saying I have a man crush on the guy. I just think BK is likely to be at ND through next season, and I'm not sure what hot coaches will be available. Herman will be snapped up before then. Patterson and his wife love Fort Worth and he has a pretty sweet gig going.

Jones is a guy who might be willing to take the job.

We'll just disagree on ND not being a vertical move from Tennessee.

Butch Jones is accused of trying to covering up a rape and was named in a title 9 lawsuit. ND would not hire someone with their history of being criticised for the same thing.

Butch Jones is accused of trying to covering up a rape and was named in a title 9 lawsuit. ND would not hire someone with their history of being criticised for the same thing.

Which begs the question, why can't my coach be accused of rape?

Well okey dokey.

Didn't know about that.

Looking at the reports about that it seems he wouldn't be on ND's list at all.

After today's embarrassment in Raleigh I sure hope the powers that be at ND are at least formulating a list of possibilities and start doing some due diligence.

Well okey dokey.

Didn't know about that.

Looking at the reports about that it seems he wouldn't be on ND's list at all.

After today's embarrassment in Raleigh I sure hope the powers that be at ND are at least formulating a list of possibilities and start doing some due diligence.

I'm not saying the guy is guilty(I have no idea), it's just that ND is in a glass jar when it comes to these kind of things. The current administration is so PC it would not hire anyone with even a smudge on their record IMO.

The list of people qualified to be here would not want the job, and the people that want the job could not possibly be hired here.

doesn't look like Urban Meyer was all that great his last year at Florida (8-5).

I wouldn't have any concern at all with Miles and who could QB, that is what an offensive coordinator is for. for multiple seasons now ND has been great on offense, and what do they have to show for it. the defense is brutal, and maybe the next head coach should be someone more on the defensive side.

doesn't look like Urban Meyer was all that great his last year at Florida (8-5).

I wouldn't have any concern at all with Miles and who could QB, that is what an offensive coordinator is for. for multiple seasons now ND has been great on offense, and what do they have to show for it. the defense is brutal, and maybe the next head coach should be someone more on the defensive side.

Someone alluded to this earlier.. I don't think offense or defense really matters.. We just need someone who is prepared for ND. That means an ex NFL coach or someone that has coached at a big time college football program before.

No up and coming HC's from small schools, or hot shot coordinators. If we make that stupid ****ing mistake again, I'm done with this school.

something to think about.

we agree that Nick Saban is a good head coach right? 3 championships with Alabama. he was formerly with LSU, 2000 to 2004. he was 48-16, .750 winning percentage, no national championships.

how about the LSU head coach who took over after Saban left? that would be Les Miles. he was with LSU from 2005 to 2016. he was 114-34, .770 winning percentage, and a national championship.

Les Miles was better at LSU than Saban was at LSU.

You've overlooked a couple of championships for Saban. He won the national championship at LSU in 2003. Went 9-3 in 2004 and then left to coach the Miami Dolphins in 2005. He also won four national championships at Bama in 2009, 2011, 2012, and 2015.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Saban

Edited by jbrown_9999
We just need someone who is prepared for ND. That means an ex NFL coach or someone that has coached at a big time college football program before.

No up and coming HC's from small schools, or hot shot coordinators.

How does ex-NFL prepare you for ND?

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/12/2/7317659/nfl-college-coaches-jim-harbaugh-chip-kelly

No up and coming HC's from small schools, or hot shot coordinators. If we make that stupid ****ing mistake again, I'm done with this school.

I disagree. The difference between keLLLLy and other coaches coming from smaller schools is many of them had experience as an assistamt coach at a major program first. BK was never an assistant at a top program and it shows.

If I had to put money on it today I would bet Butch Jones is the next head coach at ND. Catholic, successful head coach at an SEC school, has had success at every level.

ugh! I haven't been impressed with miles or butch jones, no thanks.

I agree that les miles cant coach a qb.

I'm quite aware of the differences between the two but from a pressure standpoint they're pretty similar.

Building a WMU program is a lot different than at ND from a media perspective and demands on your time and just an overall expectation standpoint

You've overlooked a couple of championships for Saban. He won the national championship at LSU in 2003. Went 9-3 in 2004 and then left to coach the Miami Dolphins in 2005. He also won four national championships at Bama in 2009, 2011, 2012, and 2015.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Saban

when I looked at the wiki link before I didn't see the "BCS NCG†" in the 2003 season like is there with the Alabama seasons and missed that he won the championship that season.

I still think Miles is one of the better candidates, and would prefer ND to get someone with this type of experience instead of some up and comer.

DJ Durkin is my choice. He was a GA under Willingham in 2003 and 2004. So he knows a little about ND. Worked under Meyer and Harbaugh. He's at Maryland now. He's young 38 and a good recruiter. He's not an established name, I just think he will be the next hot coach once Herman goes to Texas.

DJ Durkin is my choice. He was a GA under Willingham in 2003 and 2004. So he knows a little about ND. Worked under Meyer and Harbaugh. He's at Maryland now. He's young 38 and a good recruiter. He's not an established name, I just think he will be the next hot coach once Herman goes to Texas.

Given the way his linebacker leveled Penn states punter the other week I question his ability to keep guys disciplined. Granted someone else did it again this weekend and BK seems unable to control himself his players and possibly his bowels but it is a little red flag. Maybe nothing, just splitting hairs waiting for my psych appointment. Almost certainly ND football related.

I saw this tweet about Miles and a current ND player.

Angelo Di Carlo Verified account ‏@angdicarlowndu 3h3 hours ago

I asked Kelly about Jerry Tillery 'liking' 3 tweets about Les Miles becoming next coach. Said he didn't know about, not thinking much of it.

article about it, with not really a surprising comment from Tillery.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/2016/10/16/notre-dame-player-likes-tweets-suggesting-les-miles-should-replace-brian-kelly/92202350/

Jerry Tillery @JerryTillery

Likes don't = endorsements. We're committed to this team and these coaches. #goirish

12:16 PM - 16 Oct 2016

I also find it funny that when Kelly was asked/told, he looked at this differently than other people with a brain.

I've got a great relationship with Jerry, so I haven't seen anything from him nor has he said anything to me that he's not committed to Notre Dame."

I don't believe there's much out there that would indicate to me on a day-to-day basis that my team is lacking the desire to play for Notre Dame."

stubborn dumb ***, Tillery isn't showing that he isn't committed, he is showing he wants someone else at head coach AT NOTRE DAME.

We're talking about a guy who lost to a guy who we want out. While he had more talent. Also, his track record of even remotely getting any starting qb to play well is atrocious. Let's put the Les Miles talk to bed.l and lop for another option.

We're talking about a guy who lost to a guy who we want out. While he had more talent. Also, his track record of even remotely getting any starting qb to play well is atrocious. Let's put the Les Miles talk to bed.l and lop for another option.

as a defensive coach why would anyone hold Les Miles and only Les Miles responsible for QB play?

that is what an offensive coordinator is for.

the only QB for LSU I know of is JaMarcus Russell. regardless of his NFL career, for LSU he was 21-4 as a starting QB, including the 2007 MVP in the national championship game. he was also drafted 1st overall in the NFL draft based on college QB play.

I don't really care about 1 game Kelly coached against LSU/Miles, when the overall record and many more games included have show Miles has done better than Kelly.

Les Miles also has something that no ND head coach has had since 1988, and that is a national championship.

as a defensive coach why would anyone hold Les Miles and only Les Miles responsible for QB play?

that is what an offensive coordinator is for.

the only QB for LSU I know of is JaMarcus Russell. regardless of his NFL career, for LSU he was 21-4 as a starting QB, including the 2007 MVP in the national championship game. he was also drafted 1st overall in the NFL draft based on college QB play.

I don't really care about 1 game Kelly coached against LSU/Miles, when the overall record and many more games included have show Miles has done better than Kelly.

Les Miles also has something that no ND head coach has had since 1988, and that is a national championship.

If we are throwing coaches out because of high moral, go back and look at Les's track record at Oklahoma St. He was accused of letting kids play that were academically ineligible, he also was accused of paying players to pay by sports illustrated-later dismissed. He was 4-7, 8-5, 9-4,and 7-5 in his career at Oklahoma st. An Average record of 7-5. He Then somehow lucks into the LSU job where Saban loaded that team up for him to NOT fail. Leaving him that same Jamarcus Russell as a redshirt freshman(5star talent) to quarterback for Les. What Les did after that was a continuous downturn of a turd going down the toilet. Couldn't recruit talented QB's, and with the talent he was able to get everywhere else(just by being LSU's head coach), he crapped that down the toilet too. Look at his record from when he started to when he finished. Worst. If Purdue wants to hire him so they can go 7-5 every year, so be it. We have that record with the coach we have now. I'm looking for something better frankly.

What Les did after that was a continuous downturn of a turd going down the toilet.

Years 4 and 5 post-Saban were a couple of "down" years, although still 8 and 9 win seasons, but then years 6 thru 9 were: 11-2, 13-1, 10-3, 10-3.

Granted, Les is far from the perfect candidate, but how can that be objectively described as a continuous downturn after taking over from Nicky?

Years 4 and 5 post-Saban were a couple of "down" years, although still 8 and 9 win seasons, but then years 6 thru 9 were: 11-2, 13-1, 10-3, 10-3.

Granted, Les is far from the perfect candidate, but how can that be objectively described as a continuous downturn after taking over from Nicky?

But his last three years has fallen off. If he's not getting top talent I don't see him winning here. Can Miles win with 10-12 ranked recruiting classes? That's what he's going to get here from time to time.

If we are throwing coaches out because of high moral, go back and look at Les's track record at Oklahoma St. He was accused of letting kids play that were academically ineligible, he also was accused of paying players to pay by sports illustrated-later dismissed. He was 4-7, 8-5, 9-4,and 7-5 in his career at Oklahoma st. An Average record of 7-5. He Then somehow lucks into the LSU job where Saban loaded that team up for him to NOT fail. Leaving him that same Jamarcus Russell as a redshirt freshman(5star talent) to quarterback for Les. What Les did after that was a continuous downturn of a turd going down the toilet. Couldn't recruit talented QB's, and with the talent he was able to get everywhere else(just by being LSU's head coach), he crapped that down the toilet too. Look at his record from when he started to when he finished. Worst. If Purdue wants to hire him so they can go 7-5 every year, so be it. We have that record with the coach we have now. I'm looking for something better frankly.

why are we throwing out coaches because of moral? I want a coach to win and I don't really care about anything else.

in Miles 6th season at LSU he went 10-2. the next season he went 13-1 and that 1 loss was in the championship game. the next 2 years he went 10-3 both seasons. those 4 season are after Saban's players were gone.

I don't know how Miles recruited at LSU, but recruiting with the Notre Dame name should be easier than LSU, and he has a championship to help in recruiting showing these high schools kids that he knows how to win a championship.