Your definition of "great" is not...

Maybe you're right. Getting a team to a NC and almost to the playoff last year is a darn good job though. Maybe the next coach comes in a few years and shows us a NC and an elite top 3 program. Or maybe the next coach shows us that Kelly did a great job. We shall see. Thankful for Kelly.

We should see if Weis, Willingham, Davie, or Faust want their old job back. I'm sure they could do better the second time round.

Kelly has the best record since Holtz and the first coach to get to a national championship game since Holtz.

SETTLE THE F*** DOWN!

On second thought is Nick Saban, Urban Meyer, or Pete Carroll available?

Nah, screw them. We should get "Big Game" Bob Stoops with Dabo Swinney as an assistant/backup head coach in case we have to fire Bob.

Compared to the coaches before Kelly (Davie, Willingham, Weis) yes Kelly has done a good job. I'm uneasy about trying to find a new head coach just for that reason. I was and still somewhat am a Kelly supporter, however, with this whole BVG deal I'm starting to come around. I mean we all saw what happened the past two years with all the talent we had on D. For some reason Kelly kept him and hiring the right staff might be the most important part of the job of a head coach. Jack needs to give BK an ultimatium...fire BVG or you're gone.

Compared to the coaches before Kelly (Davie, Willingham, Weis) yes Kelly has done a good job. I'm uneasy about trying to find a new head coach just for that reason. I was and still somewhat am a Kelly supporter, however, with this whole BVG deal I'm starting to come around. I mean we all saw what happened the past two years with all the talent we had on D. For some reason Kelly kept him and hiring the right staff might be the most important part of the job of a head coach. Jack needs to give BK an ultimatium...fire BVG or you're gone.

When the AD gets too involved, no matter the intention, it's a bad thing. Look at what happened to Holtz in his last couple years after Rosenthal took over. (I think that's who the AD was) Anyway I trust that Kelly will make the right decision at the end of the season, he's not stupid. It's not going to help anyone, not the players, not the fans, not the school, nobody, if they fire Van Gorder mid-season. Who would take over? Would you install a new defensive scheme mid-season? That would be horrible. At the end of the season it will become self evident who stays and who goes. I'll reserve my judgment until then.

You know it's not that good coaches don't want to come here. Did you ever think previous AD's were unprepared during the hiring process and had absolutely no clue what coaches to go for or what to look for? Sometimes it is just bad timing. You see big time programs make bad hires all the time, unfortunately we made 3 in a row.

Kelly was a good hire because he fit the criteria and was better than the rest. However year 7 is telling and he may be a good coach but he's far from great, and we need/deserve a great coach here. We know of all the shortcomings now and I don't think the program progresses any further with him.

If he stayed another 7 years it would be 4 eight win seasons with 2 double digit win seasons and one seven or 9 win year. If your thankful then your thankful for mediocrity cause that's what we are under him.

Sure Kelly has his share of shortcomings and BVG is inexcusably bad (and should be fired the day after the regular season ends), but at some point, we have to look in the mirror at our University and accept the limitations that have been put on this program as compared to those who win Nattys. (And recognize how things have changed since '88-- it is bigger business than ever before)

We just don't get the same players that other schools do. Period. And that's not about to change.

Should we do better with who we have? Probably.

But can we win at the level we all want to with who we have? Probably not.

2012 was the ceiling. And we might get back to that place but I truly believe we will never break through. Not with an administration that values old school liberal arts academics over whatever it takes to get NC winning football teams.

The priests have always run the show their way and that's just the way it is.

So, sadly, Kelly is probably as good as anybody we'll get and even if we could get someone better, those same limitations are still in place and I doubt even an Urban/Saban/whomever could succeed like we want without affecting major changes at the administration level.

Because the cold hard truth is... If by week 3 you have to teach your kids how to tackle, then you weren't ever going to win it all anyway. Either they come in stone cold killers or they don't. That's how NCAA basketball works and football is no different.

This is a poor moment in my view for this topic. My feelings clearly would have been different last season before Stanford.....

Right now its hard to escape another highly disappointing season....a season where ONCE MORE Kelly seems to have underachieved given his talent.

2012 --Overachieved

2015---Hit expectations....

The other seasons are all underachieving ones.

My expectations WERE NOWHERE near as high as many on this site for this year---9-3 is what I always saw as a REBUILDING years not a RELOADING year....STILL---the losses in games WE SHOULD HAVE and certainly could have won is taking its toll on my evaluation of BK.

He is more cautious now then pehaps ANYTIME in his career....that smacks of a loss of confidence to me...

The DC hire cost us SO MUCH and BK is SO SLOW to react to it.

I guess I'm just a little mad that this season and all my interest in other games and rankings and potentials has simply been tossed into the tank so quickly...

2016 has the elements for a DISASTER of a year....those are never good for ANY PROGRAM .......

So many of us truly felt Kelly TURNED the corner on this program last season DESPITE the last 2 horrible games....

Its really Difficult for many to make that argument right now....so instead of seeing us as now a PERRENIAL 10 win type team....WE HAVE TO FALL BACK ON THE SHOPWORN " who else better could we get, we should be satisfied with what we have.

Its hard to swallow I have to say.....maybe I will feel better if the team rips off 8 in a row including Stanford but like the rest of you I am not holding my breath.

aloha's

When the AD gets too involved, no matter the intention, it's a bad thing. Look at what happened to Holtz in his last couple years after Rosenthal took over. (I think that's who the AD was) Anyway I trust that Kelly will make the right decision at the end of the season, he's not stupid. It's not going to help anyone, not the players, not the fans, not the school, nobody, if they fire Van Gorder mid-season. Who would take over? Would you install a new defensive scheme mid-season? That would be horrible. At the end of the season it will become self evident who stays and who goes. I'll reserve my judgment until then.

I do agree that firing him mid season wouldn't accomplish much, but my point was it was evident last year that BVG wasn't the right guy. The fact that Kelly gave him another year to see if it would work this time is what angers me. It's not like BVG is a great recruiter either. Where's the sense of urgency? We have a possible #1 overall pick's career being wasted because Kelly couldn't see what we all saw last year.

Kelly is a good coach.

He'd be a home run hire at Purdue, Washington, Vanderbilt, Oklahoma State, and Georgia Tech.

He's not a home run hire for a team with perennial national championship aspirations.

He speaks well, represents the University well, recruits well, and from accounts from people who seem to actually have spoken with him and maybe know him, he's even a nice guy.

Positives and negatives.

The University will keep him as long as seats keep filling at the stadium. Once that stops happening, it will be on to the next coach.

Personally, I want a National Championship win in my lifetime. I was at the Alabama game, as amazing as it was to see ND at the game, I quickly lost all my enthusiasm. I want ND to be back there and win, I don't think that is gonna happen with Kelly. Personally I want Tom Herman to coach ND next year, will we win a NC with him? I am not sure, but I sure know we won't win it with Kelly.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-notre-dame-brian-kelly-contract-extension-20160129-story.html

We JUST got done paying Charlie Weis. Now we want to pay another guy to not coach us?

Look, I'd love Herman, but there is no chance we lure him here. So then what? Is there a retread out there you want? You want row the boat PJ Fleck? Fire up the old get Gruden out the booth chants.

Brian Kelly's biggest mistake was hiring and keeping Brian Van Gorder. There should be enough talent on this roster to have a serviceable enough defense if the scheme was worth a damn. Look what Don Brown was able to do with a bunch of scrubs at Boston College last year.

So now we're three games in and 1-2. You.Can't.Fire.BVG.Now. You can't can your d-coordinator with 3/4th the season left. That won't solve any problems. 100% he is gone at the end of the season but don't expect Kelly to throw BVG under the bus fully until the end of the season. There is still a chance at a respectable finish. Let's say Kizer plays out of his mind against Stanford and Miami and we go 9-3/10-2 with shootouts all over the place. You can then fire BVG. Then get a brinks truck and either drive to Pittsburgh and get Josh Conklin or go to Houston and get Todd Orlando.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-notre-dame-brian-kelly-contract-extension-20160129-story.html

We JUST got done paying Charlie Weis. Now we want to pay another guy to not coach us?

Look, I'd love Herman, but there is no chance we lure him here. So then what? Is there a retread out there you want? You want row the boat PJ Fleck? Fire up the old get Gruden out the booth chants.

Brian Kelly's biggest mistake was hiring and keeping Brian Van Gorder. There should be enough talent on this roster to have a serviceable enough defense if the scheme was worth a damn. Look what Don Brown was able to do with a bunch of scrubs at Boston College last year.

So now we're three games in and 1-2. You.Can't.Fire.BVG.Now. You can't can your d-coordinator with 3/4th the season left. That won't solve any problems. 100% he is gone at the end of the season but don't expect Kelly to throw BVG under the bus fully until the end of the season. There is still a chance at a respectable finish. Let's say Kizer plays out of his mind against Stanford and Miami and we go 9-3/10-2 with shootouts all over the place. You can then fire BVG. Then get a brinks truck and either drive to Pittsburgh and get Josh Conklin or go to Houston and get Todd Orlando.

No chance?

No chance?

If he beats Louisville, he's going to the playoff. Big12 is down, Pac12 will eat itself. Houston, B1G, ACC, SEC.

So the earliest you could hire him is January 2nd?

And you would be competing against teams that will pay him 6+ million, which I don't think we would do.

I just don't see a chance where we get Herman.

Grantham from Louisville gets $1 million per year. Maybe BK is seriously constrained by his budget. Swarbrick needs to cough up top dollar. Lousy assistants can end it for a coach.

I applaud the cahunas. I disagreed on his assessment of QB's last year and preseason, but I'll stand with him on the side of the BK camp.

Some people pour the cereal back after discovering theyre fresh outta milk. Some people mix in some water and appreciate that they didn't puke afterward.