Brian Kelly is nervous

VCDomer

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The arrogance piece is all relative. Just prior to the BC game, ND fans were lapping up the "decided schematic advantage" line like it was apple pie. A few years later, and it was evidence that Weis was too arrogant to ever be successful.

If you want to be upset by Kelly's results, then be upset about them. But, don't start putting adjectives on a stranger like that is some justification for your desire for a coaching change. It's illogical and unnecessary.

Ticket sales will never fall off at ND. Thousands of fans who have never been to Notre Dame stadium will buy up any remaining tickets in a second.

When the alumni donations fall off and the boo's from the crowd are heard nationally then ND will be forced to make a decision.

Ticket demand is already fallen off. You can get 6 seats today from ND' Ticket Office for the Duke game and 16 seats in a row in some sections at Stubhub. At game time they'll be giving them away for those who can stomach watching.

God. The man to replace him was right there...We played against Don Brown's defense a week before we should have hired him. We should have backed a goddamn brinks truck up in front of BC the day after the Stanford game and paid the man. Instead he went to Michigan.

This is depressing.

He's actually one of the more affable head coaches to deal with, too. Lends much more insight than most guys. And certainly doesn't come across personally as overly arrogant.

I just think hardcore fans of teams have a weirdly odd obsession with overly analyzing everything the head coach of the team they live and die with says or does.

Yup. Combined with internet and cable...everyone now thinks they're in the know on everything and thus when offering opinions, they actually matter. WAY too much exposure. Few people here remember Lou was run off, Ara quit because he got burned out and Dan Devine was never liked but tolerated because he won a championship. Imagine any or either of those 3 in today's age. Kelly is a cupcake comparatively speaking. Go Irish!

Show me a head coach that doesn't have some arrogance or cockiness...

IMO, there is a difference between cockiness that is backed up my results and a guy who constantly tries to stuff a square peg into a round hole.

That only works in preschool. He can be arrogant again when he manages to beat a quality team.

There are differing views on the matter for sure, but I'm still of the opinion that he has done absolutely nothing at D1 to deserve the respect he commands.

when BVG gets fired Kelly knows he's still on the hot seat.

underperforming teams have become the theme with him.

in 7 years he's had 1 good season

I would argue he's had 2 good seasons, last year he had 2 regular season losses to ultimately 2 top 8 teams by a combined 4 points, that's a good season. But even 2 in 7 isn't good enough

I would argue he's had 2 good seasons, last year he had 2 regular season losses to ultimately 2 top 8 teams by a combined 4 points, that's a good season. But even 2 in 7 isn't good enough

Last year was okay, no marquee wins . Navy and Temple were our best wins. He has had one great season which ended with nfl filtration and a absolute blow out.

I get what you're saying, but

things are so bad....

that we're reduced to referring to the "quality losses" over the years more than the quality wins.

But who? Herman isn't going to happen...so if it happens in 2/3 years (I believe Kelly will be doing well again by next year and think they will right the ship this year) who is the guy?

*If* it would be in the next 2 or 3 years, and if you're looking for the next hot coach to snag, that's a tough question to answer right now.

That next it-guy can pop up on the radar very quickly...someone who's barely on anyone's radar right now. See Tom Herman himself, or Urbie, who you wouldn't have jumped to hire from Bowling Green, but sure as heck would have after only 2 short years at Utah, going 22-2.

Heck, we could have one of those dudes right under our noses with Sanford, but that remains to be seen/proven.

But who? Herman isn't going to happen...so if it happens in 2/3 years (I believe Kelly will be doing well again by next year and think they will right the ship this year) who is the guy?

Why??? Why do you think that? When has this guy EVER made the appropriate changes to fix things? Brian Kelly has always had excuses that fans like you are so quick to offer. First it was Tommy and, between suspensions to injuries for years, now it's BVG. These situations are HIS FAULT.

Every coach deals with cards like these yet BK is the only one who gets pass...after pass....after pass...like we are clinging to some magical ability of his to turn ND into the GVSU of Division 1 football.

He is mediocre at this level. He always has been. He's had the talent and even the lucky breaks at times. Every time he has had bouts of luck to put him in a position to prove he is a great football coach (2012 and 2015, he has been utterly dismantled by his supposedly even-matched opponents with everyone watching.

He doesn't make good choices during the game. His play-calling puts us in a position to lose. He blunders even the simplest of HC tasks like when to go for 2. Bye weeks have been almost a guaranteed loss for us when, in fact, it should have the opposite effect. He struggles with teams that have a fraction of our talent. He hires his friends instead of the most attractive candidate. When they fail, he "assumes their role" as if that is some kind of upgrade. His players are constantly having academic or behavioral issues.

And, despite all of this, hes can still manage to be a cocky, arrogant a$$hole who STILL has the audacity to talk down to sideline correspondents and post-game reporters like they just dont understand his style.

Have some friggin humility for once. Even Weis went to the NFL for answers when he realized he was destroying our program.

Edited by echo88

next year NDs offense and special teams will be good (even if kizer leaves I think ND will be fine with wimbush...maybe). on defense you can easily fix the tackling problem ND is having but im not sure the DL will be much better. ND is still going to have a problem getting pressure on the QB. tillery will be back and maybe kareem and hayes will both be good but where is the depth, where are all the difference makers.

next year NDs offense and special teams will be good (even if kizer leaves I think ND will be fine with wimbush...maybe). on defense you can easily fix the tackling problem ND is having but im not sure the DL will be much better. ND is still going to have a problem getting pressure on the QB. tillery will be back and maybe kareem and hayes will both be good but where is the depth, where are all the difference makers.

You think it's a tackling problem? The defense is the worst we have fielded, top to bottom, in the season's 1st 3 games, than......ever.

102nd in yards allowed and 94th in points permitted. That isn't tackling.