Brian Kelly is nervous

VCDomer

Have you seen it? I see it. His press conference, on the side line, his mannerisms. Don't get me wrong. That arrogant, pompous, mini me, deflecting, linear thinking, blameless, right place right time guy has all the coach speak, quotes and answers that will metamorphis as the season progresses and we lose 2 more. But...I saw the chink in the armor. I saw him looking nervous. Good.

It's not on Jack. He has done an amazing job negotiating through conference realignment and getting our athletic programs out of the Big E to the ACC. A much better conference. And while keeping us in a dating position with the ACC for our fiercely independent status for football. I believe in Jack and believe he will be willing to clip Coach Kelly when it's time. I suspect he will give him one more year to right the ship. It's been a long time since we have been out of it this early in a season. And please spare me the ... we will run off 9 straight BS. This isn't that kind of team or coaching staff.

So grin and bear it the remainder of this year. Watch and hope the other blue bloods and powerhouses of college football struggle as well this year so we can hang our hat on that with some redeeming whimper.

Edited by VCDomer

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see it too. In 2012 he had that quiet confidence that he knew how good the team was, you could see it by his mannerisms and look in his eyes.

This year he knows the team is young and has tons of holes. He isn't afraid to let it be known to the press and you can tell by his mannerisms too. He is not confident like he has been, recruiting and coaching ultimately lies on him though.

Still should have been fired at the end of last year.

Well... I doubt that the majority of us will have any argument about that at the end of this year. Still a few of the defeatist charading as the "he's the best we can get and who can we get that's better" crowd that will wake up after they realize that wet spot is not a happy dream but instead our football program.

When does Kelly start to lose the locker room? Losing 4 of the last 5 hurts but when we have to have comebacks to be in a position to win against opponents the players will start to lose faith.

Anyone else got the feeling that Kizer was walking on the sideline after the 4th and 7 questioning what Kelly was doing? Kizer wanted that ball and wanted that victory bad.

Kelly can feel his seat is getting warm. Losing 4 out of 5, a terrible defensive coordinator, questionable play calling, his arrogant cocky attitude.....the list goes on and on.

I honestly think he knows his days are numbered at ND. He knows he better turn this season around but with BVG calling the defense he can't.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if after this season Kelly does the right thing and steps down.

Hope Jack has a short list and deep pockets.

I am definitely in the "Kelly is going nowhere" group.

Like it or not, I think he's here for at least 3 more years.

Hopefully he makes the right decision, and replaces BVG but I have my doubts with that too. It's truly amazing how much D-talent has gone to waist at ND the past few years....

Hopefully he makes the right decision, and replaces BVG but I have my doubts with that too. It's truly amazing how much D-talent has gone to waist at ND the past few years....

Couldn't agree more with everything you said. And for those of you who think kelly will be gone after this season i think thats just wishful thinking. I think/hope bvg is gone after the season but kelly isnt going anywhere for a while and that's scary. He'll restore a little faith if he actually nuts up and fires his buddy, we'll see what happens

Until the excuses run out :) Once again we have preseason drama that provides enough static to make a person think, maybe it isn't all BKs fault. Every year it is something with injury or player issues that puts us in a bad spot and while most of us say, that is a coaching issue, the administration seems to hand out free passes when someone goes to jail.

That said, BK still has a couple of get out of jail free cards I think. Hold out on firing BVaG as long as you can because firing him at the right time buys BK another two to three years as long as he doesn't tank the team recruiting wise in the meantime. CW even got two more years after his 3 - 9 season... So everyone probably needs to brace for another handful of 8 - 5 seasons.

We will see what Kelly and this team are made of in the next 4 weeks. Is he going to coach and play call out of desperation? its obvious he knows about the fan base unrest. He will hear it at home if he continues on this current path. Regardless of how friendly JS and him are, boos ringing in ND stadium will not allow him to ignore the obvious.

We will see what Kelly and this team are made of in the next 4 weeks. Is he going to coach and play call out of desperation? its obvious he knows about the fan base unrest. He will hear it at home if he continues on this current path. Regardless of how friendly JS and him are, boos ringing in ND stadium will not allow him to ignore the obvious.

Boos are fine. It's when the donations and ticket sales dip that JS reacts.

ND is a business. A big one.

Boos are fine. It's when the donations and ticket sales dip that JS reacts.

ND is a business. A big one.

Ticket sales will never fall off at ND. Thousands of fans who have never been to Notre Dame stadium will buy up any remaining tickets in a second.

When the alumni donations fall off and the boo's from the crowd are heard nationally then ND will be forced to make a decision.

BVG will be sacrificed after this disappointing year ends, that's a given despite Kelly's loyalty to assistants. It's what everybody is talking about, even Kelly knows he's been an abject failure. If Kelly doesn't right the ship next year, he will be gone then.

BVG will be SACRIFICED?? He is most of the problem. How is that being sacrificed?

BVG will be SACRIFICED?? He is most of the problem. How is that being sacrificed?

For a coach like Kelly to actually fire an assistant, even an incompetent one like BVG, it is a sacrifice because you know that if it's possible to keep him around he will, after all, Kelly has never fired an assistant in his 6 plus years at ND.

I could be wrong, but I took it to mean Kelly, rather than look in the mirror and taking some blame, would fire BVG and say that now all is good with the program. And this would buy him another 7 years of mediocrity.

God. The man to replace him was right there...We played against Don Brown's defense a week before we should have hired him. We should have backed a goddamn brinks truck up in front of BC the day after the Stanford game and paid the man. Instead he went to Michigan.

I don't know that I've ever understood the "Kelly is so arrogant and cocky" comments. Don't all football coaches stand at the podium and field questions from people that know much less about his football team than he does?

He's actually one of the more affable head coaches to deal with, too. Lends much more insight than most guys. And certainly doesn't come across personally as overly arrogant.

I just think hardcore fans of teams have a weirdly odd obsession with overly analyzing everything the head coach of the team they live and die with says or does.