New Irish commit

Is the defensive suckage in some twisted way good for recruiting, at least on the defensive side? If I were an elite or near-elite prospect with decent grades, ND should be a great opportunity to get some game snaps as a freshman. That's unlikely to happen at Ohio State, 'Bama, LSU, etc.

Is the defensive suckage in some twisted way good for recruiting, at least on the defensive side? If I were an elite or near-elite prospect with decent grades, ND should be a great opportunity to get some game snaps as a freshman. That's unlikely to happen at Ohio State, 'Bama, LSU, etc.

But on the other hand, you'd have to play defense for BVG, who isn't going anywhere. I'd seriously question that possibility if I were a hot shot college recruit.

Edited by ColinKSU

From what I've noticed with recruits, both sides of the spectrum are in play. Some want to be that guy to help bring the defensive side of the ball back to dominance. On the other hand, there have been rumblings that recruits have backed off ND specifically because of BVG. It goes both ways.

Or I would look at how many of those undrafted/drafted defensive players from last year are still on teams

Is that a compliment to BVG, who coached those players to a really terrible defense that cost Notre Dame games last season, or a compliment to the players, who were so talented that they overcame his awful coaching?

Is that a compliment to BVG, who coached those players to a really terrible defense that cost Notre Dame games last season, or a compliment to the players, who were so talented that they overcame his awful coaching?

You could also look at some of the can't miss prospects who are littering the practice squads of the NFL for names of ND players and wonder if that is the players or BVaG.

• 2 weeks later...
Until Notre Dane can get a few top 100 defensive players per year this defense is never going to be elite. The last truly ELITE ranked defensive player we recruited was Jaylon Smith. That was four years ago.

They didnt even get a few in Jaylons class....

Edit: I was looking at top 100 players overall

Edited by WeaverIrish