To all who want Kelly gone

simontonlake

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not arguing anything. I am not saying to fire him. I just don't see him as this elite savior of a coach that some of you tend to view him as. I am fine with him as the coach but neeeeeeeeds to get rid of BVG. If last year's team had 2012's defense...shiiiiiiiiiiit.

The bar was pretty low when he got here. Look, it's like Melissa McCarthy shows up on Robinson Carusoe's island after 20 years being stranded. I am sure he thought she was the hottest babe! :peace:

Lol you're ****ing insane. Holtz has an NC and got screwed out of a second. Kelly has the Music City Bowl. Let's be real here.

Exactly.

That depends on how skewed and biased your memories of the Holtz era are.

Look, Holtz is my man. I am a 32 year old domer who grew up on Notre Dame football in the Holtz era. I also remember all too well how his last few years here were as well as the leadership we had follow him up..

Say in the next 5-6 years BK gets us to two more playoff or NC games and 5 more 10 win seasons and we never get a Natty and you wouldn't be inclined to put him on a pedestal near Holtz?

Go put on your Champion Notre Dame shorts and run laps around your neighborhood buddy.

Please say you are joking..... Kelly is a modern day Dan Devine....A decent coach but not well liked. The only difference is that Devine won a National Championship.

No I'm not. I wasn't alive during the Devine era, so I would have no way of comparing Kelly to him. I'm just drawing a comparison to the coaches I've lived to see: Holtz, Davie, O'Leary, Willingham, Weis, and Kelly.

Edited by JTennant

Look, Holtz is my man. I am a 32 year old domer who grew up on Notre Dame football in the Holtz era. I also remember all too well how his last few years here were as well as the leadership we had follow him up..

Say in the next 5-6 years BK gets us to two more playoff or NC games and 5 more 10 win seasons and we never get a Natty and you wouldn't be inclined to put him on a pedestal near Holtz?

Go put on your Champion Notre Dame shorts and run laps around your neighborhood buddy.

No I'm not. I wasn't alive during the Devine era, so I would have no way of comparing Kelly to him. I'm just drawing a comparison to the coaches I've lived to see: Holtz, Davie, O'Leary, Willingham, Weis, and Kelly.

I go back to the Era of Ira. Kelly couldn't hold Lou's jock strap.

Would Lou Holtz have Notre Dame in powerhouse form with the current state of college football, admission standards and the presence of modern day OSU and Alabama? Could he get us to the playoff and compete in those games for a NC?

Honest question - I don't have enough Holtz knowledge to have an educated opinion.

Would Lou Holtz have Notre Dame in powerhouse form with the current state of college football, admission standards and the presence of modern day OSU and Alabama? Could he get us to the playoff and compete in those games for a NC?

Honest question - I don't have enough Holtz knowledge to have an educated opinion.

Is a pigs pussy pork?

If kelly gets 5 more 10+ win seasons in the next 6 years and a couple of playoff appearances i think he belongs with holtz, thats a big if though

Agreed 1000% Academics do not hold us back...we can compete with the talent we put on the field.

It has been a couple of years but I read that 30% of the top 150 players in the country do not meet ND's standards. A lot of it was due to HSs that did not push players to take the core subjects required by schools like ND.

I too date back to Ara and while I agree, Lou did more to restore ND football post Faust than Kelly has post Willingham/Weis, hard to compare the landscape between then and now. We owned Catholic HS's and while still influential, it's no longer the case. Combined with TV exposure where ND no longer enjoys the advantage it once did, conference alignments and affiliations, I just don't think it plausible to try and compare the 2. But as far as holding a jock, 2 things to consider...Holtz, while beloved, was essentially run off, and he and Kelly are actually good friends and speak weekly, along with Kelly also speaking with Ara on a regular basis though sure how often. So the 2 most influential coaches we can relate to openly support and endorse Kelly so IMHO, despite some fan grumbling, Kelly seems to have done something right in their minds...Now as far as a statue? Victories minus a NC don't warrant that level of recognition so I wouldn't back Kelly having one but if he can find a way to win a NC? Build the damn thing. GO IRISH!

Kelly is second string to the others. You have to have the title.

It's absurd to think that if by some miracle Saban packed his bags and came to ND that we wouldn't win at least ONE title. The man's name strikes fear in opponents and draws worshippers down in here in the south.

There's no question that a young, southern player wouldn't seriously entertain the idea of playing for ND if Saban, with his vast winning experience and penchant for excellence, was the head coach.

Saban's not coming though. Kelly has helped the program gain legitimacy in the eyes of most people, or at least here in Nooga.

Kelly is second string to the others. You have to have the title.

It's absurd to think that if by some miracle Saban packed his bags and came to ND that we wouldn't win at least ONE title. The man's name strikes fear in opponents and draws worshippers down in here in the south.

There's no question that a young, southern player wouldn't seriously entertain the idea of playing for ND if Saban, with his vast winning experience and penchant for excellence, was the head coach.

Saban's not coming though. Kelly has helped the program gain legitimacy in the eyes of most people, or at least here in Nooga.

Give Saban 15-20 million a year and then would he come? We should have the deepest pockets, if we wanna win a natty the right way that's our best bet. Kelly will never beat Saban head to head.

Are you kidding? The conversation is what Kelly has done so far. Your hypothetical run means jack in that regard. IF, in the next five years, he does go on a run like that obviously most people's outlook on him will change, buddy.

Are you kidding? The conversation is what Kelly has done so far. Your hypothetical run means jack in that regard. IF, in the next five years, he does go on a run like that obviously most people's outlook on him will change, buddy.

He'll go on a pedestal very close to Holtz.. Maybe even higher.

He'll is a contraction for He will.. Which is in the future. We all know he isn't done coaching here yet so there is a lot to be determined.

Lou Holtz winning $ is .765 and Brian Kelly's is .708, and we all can agree that we are expecting better consistency from his teams.

Since Holtz no other head coach has had a winning % in the .600 or higher.

I'll just wait here a few years until you eat your statement. Buddy

Give Saban 15-20 million a year and then would he come? We should have the deepest pockets, if we wanna win a natty the right way that's our best bet. Kelly will never beat Saban head to head.

I fully agree. If I were a major donor I would push to get the best with little regard to cost. As much as I love everything Notre Dame stands for, football made this Catholic university into a household name with a hefty endowment. It's time we get a title.

Kelly and Saban are on two different fields. With Kelly, the goal seems to be consistent 10 win seasons and a major bowl victory every few years. That is depressing to type :-x

I fully agree. If I were a major donor I would push to get the best with little regard to cost. As much as I love everything Notre Dame stands for, football made this Catholic university into a household name with a hefty endowment. It's time we get a title.

Kelly and Saban are on two different fields. With Kelly, the goal seems to be consistent 10 win seasons and a major bowl victory every few years. That is depressing to type :-x

That's the thing though we only have 2 10 win seasons in 6 years and in both games were not even competitive so we need to win one first. This is a big year for Kelly in the eyes of us ND fans.

He'll is a contraction for He will.. Which is in the future. We all know he isn't done coaching here yet so there is a lot to be determined.

Lou Holtz winning $ is .765 and Brian Kelly's is .708, and we all can agree that we are expecting better consistency from his teams.

Since Holtz no other head coach has had a winning % in the .600 or higher.

I'll just wait here a few years until you eat your statement. Buddy

I'd love nothing more than to see ND win another or multiple NCs and to "eat my statement" but I just don't see it with Kelly until he grows the balls to fire VG.

I was just getting old enough to start watching the games with a more critical eye in the Faust era. When Lou came in, anyone could tell there was just something different.

After a couple years, his teams started to look more like your current day OSU and Bama teams, where they took the field more times than not, with a swagger that embodied the confidence of "we're going to win this game today, but even if we don't, we're gonna pop you in the mouth trying."

The fight w/the Canes near the tunnel, the victory over the "team of the century" and "unbeatable" Noles, the trip to USC and beatdown of those guys w/Rice and crew....

I don't see any reason why Lou's teams wouldn't be right there in today's game. The dudes he brought in were not only extremely talented, but for the most part, had that extra hard edge to 'em that I'm still waiting to see back on our field.

The fight w/the Canes near the tunnel

Sometimes when I want to see what Notre Dame swag was like I checkout the video of the fight on youtube. It'll give you chills!

I don't know that we'll ever get that out of a team under Kelly. Diaco sometimes gave me glimpses where I thought we could be like that again.

Say in the next 5-6 years BK gets us to two more playoff or NC games and 5 more 10 win seasons and we never get a Natty and you wouldn't be inclined to put him on a pedestal near Holtz?.

Not me. Not even close.

Holtz won 24 games in a row. While doing that, he beat teams ranked 9, 1, 2, 3, 2, 17, 9, 7. He finally lost the 25th game to # 7 ranked Miami- who was the only program on par with us at the time - at Miami. He followed that loss up by beating the #1 team in the Orange Bowl.

Kelly my eke into the playoffs on a year when we have a very weak schedule. However, even if we do get in, playoff teams are going to thrash us like they have for the past 7 years. We're not anywhere near the dominant program we were with Holtz and Kelly will never achieve what Holtz did,.

Not me. Not even close.

Holtz won 24 games in a row. While doing that, he beat teams ranked 9, 1, 2, 3, 2, 17, 9, 7. He finally lost the 25th game to # 7 ranked Miami- who was the only program on par with us at the time - at Miami. He followed that loss up by beating the #1 team in the Orange Bowl.

Kelly my eke into the playoffs on a year when we have a very weak schedule. However, even if we do get in, playoff teams are going to thrash us like they have for the past 7 years. We're not anywhere near the dominant program we were with Holtz and Kelly will never achieve what Holtz did,.

Period... End of story. Please wake up and accept it ND fans. Kelly is better than Weis and Davie and has done better in recruiting. So what! The results don't pan out sans the good feeling of 2012 that ended with a prison rape showing on National TV that we all know was an embarrassment that maintains the narrative about what this program really is. Look at your belly and in the mirror and accept the same reality. You are not near the top deck donkey you thought you were.

No offense meant to anyone in particular. I can still see my pubic region looking down. Lol

Not me. Not even close.

It's true.

And unless the coach is named Meyer or Saban, neither will anyone else currently employed as a head coach in college football.

Not me. Not even close.

But its Brian Kelly!!!

Agree wholeheartedly, Frankus. I wish it were different but we are what we are.

There is no way Notre Dame would do that.

First off., they are cheap.

Secondly, they aren't willing to do what it takes to create a dominant program. No powerful coaches able to run the program as they need to within reason. They are very happy with 9-3 and keeping the program in its place.

Lastly, those who tore down ND football, Monk Malloy and others have been replaced with like minded individuals. Those angling to be next in line also have the same mindset - the de-emphasization of football.

So it's not going to happen anytime soon and frankly, never.

Edited by Handsome Jack