To all who want Kelly gone

simontonlake

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah took us to the title game and got embarrassed, one of the worst title game performances in recent memory too. It's about winning and he has won one big game on the national stage and no big bowl.

See if Herman can get there? He beat fsu in a bcs bowl last year...

I stand corrected on the big bowl game! My mistake.

I think we just disagree and that's fine!

I guess I am more on the side of (minus the DC situation) Kelly is doing an excellent job with what he has and I don't know how much better ANYONE would do. How do we really know a Herman, Meyer or Saban would roll in here and win a NC. Harbaugh didn't do it at Stanford and he is a damn good coach from his track record. Is that a valid argument? Seems like it is, but could be wrong!

Open to being proven wrong, but that's where I stand.

At the end of the day, it's just a game and love that we get to enjoy watching the Irish play!

Cheers

Edited by seanscarborough

I guess I am more on the side of (minus the DC situation) Kelly is doing an excellent job with what he has and I don't know how much better ANYONE would do. How do we really know a Herman, Meyer or Saban would roll in here and win a NC. Harbaugh didn't do it at Stanford and he is a damn good coach from his track record. Is that a valid argument? Seems like it is, but could be wrong!

At the end of the day, it's just a game and love that we get to enjoy watching the Irish play!

Cheers

We don't know that Herman, Urban or Saban would win a NC, but I think we are now recognizing that Kelly PROBABLY won't. So in my mind the question becomes is 8-10 wins good enough? And if not does ND take a chance on a guy like Herman, whose ceiling may be higher?

Cheers

Yeh well Harbaugh also wasn't at Stanford that long and he took over a very bad program.

It is Kelly's job to figure out the DC and defense, if he can't do that because its his buddy then maybe he shouldn't be a head coach.

Not saying they would but by having seen what they've done I know their better coaches than Kelly by a wide margin. He is about good for 9 wins a year now, gets hosed on the national stage and can't win the big games really. Like I've said before it's acceptable because he took over after Davie, Willingham and Weis.

Nebraska and Georgia went after new guys because they thought they could do better than 9 wins a season. We have the pockets so overpay for a guy your sure is better than Kelly which IMO is Herman (who's an Urban disciple I think).

Cheers

Well, in my opinion, if Meyer or Saban were coaching here I think we'd be getting better recruits than we are now. They may not do it in their first season or two but once they get the depth charts filled with their guys I'm sure it wouldn't be too much longer. That's not to say we don't have good recruits now, but our roster is not littered with 5*'s the way Alabama's is.

Well, in my opinion, if Meyer or Saban were coaching here I think we'd be getting better recruits than we are now. They may not do it in their first season or two but once they get the depth charts filled with their guys I'm sure it wouldn't be too much longer. That's not to say we don't have good recruits now, but our roster is not littered with 5*'s the way Alabama's is.

Good points - I wonder how their recruiting classes would shake up at ND. Would definitely not be able to bring over all of the same guys that they have on their current teams. Would be interesting!

I think Saban or Meyer and maybe Harbaugh could come here and win titles. Simply because they would bring instant credibility with them. They would get virtually any recruit they wanted except the bottom of the barrel academic guys. Many more kids would come here even though they would have to play school, because they would be able to play for these coaches.

The talk with about if, if, if is just silly. Saban is without question the best college coach of all time with his record as my proof. But if he didn't leave for $10MM/year at Texas, he isn't coming to ND either...and Urban? He didn't want the job at ND. He had his chance and chose Florida and for those who argue we didn't make the offer, he knew the job was open and we were coming to talk yet HE chose the other gig. Harbaugh? No question he's a very good coach but hasn't WON anything! No PAC 12 titles and lost the Super Bowl...most people don't realize this but he has never won a championship and got blown out in his only game against top rival OSU at home. He's a publicity whore and so quirky/weird, he'd wear out his welcome in South Bend faster than he has at his previous stops. Can he recruit? Kind of but for all the attention of his summer tour, he got 2 commits despite spending millions of his university's money...Herman appears to have caught lightening in a bottle and will be a very well paid coach someplace but pay attention to the news people! His contract with Houston doubles at minimum once they become a member of a Power 5 confc so he is set to be one of the top 4 or 5 paid coaches in the new conference ~$5MM+ so would he even consider ND if offered? While an Urban protege, don't know of any connection to ND or previous stated desire to be here...point of my rant is we should be happy with who we've got, a coach who has rebuilt and reestablished ND as a national power and it cracks me up to read comments about how poorly we played in a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP game! We were over-matched at just about every position playing against the best HC of all time...for Chrissakes...give credit when and where deserved and Kelly deserves getting ND back into the conversation. Last time I checked, we have 11 games remaining against some very good opponents so plenty of time for us to rebound and end the year in consideration of a spot in the playoff. I expect the D to vastly improve with Nevada being an important litmus test. As Kelly said in his presser, too early to be jumping ship but if still having the same conversation 10 weeks from now, then yes it will be a needed conversation. So for those who suggest he's more concerned about protecting a friend than he is winning football games, get a grip. Get behind your team and GO IRISH!

The talk with about if, if, if is just silly. Saban is without question the best college coach of all time with his record as my proof. But if he didn't leave for $10MM/year at Texas, he isn't coming to ND either...and Urban? He didn't want the job at ND. He had his chance and chose Florida and for those who argue we didn't make the offer, he knew the job was open and we were coming to talk yet HE chose the other gig. Harbaugh? No question he's a very good coach but hasn't WON anything! No PAC 12 titles and lost the Super Bowl...most people don't realize this but he has never won a championship and got blown out in his only game against top rival OSU at home. He's a publicity whore and so quirky/weird, he'd wear out his welcome in South Bend faster than he has at his previous stops. Can he recruit? Kind of but for all the attention of his summer tour, he got 2 commits despite spending millions of his university's money...Herman appears to have caught lightening in a bottle and will be a very well paid coach someplace but pay attention to the news people! His contract with Houston doubles at minimum once they become a member of a Power 5 confc so he is set to be one of the top 4 or 5 paid coaches in the new conference ~$5MM+ so would he even consider ND if offered? While an Urban protege, don't know of any connection to ND or previous stated desire to be here...point of my rant is we should be happy with who we've got, a coach who has rebuilt and reestablished ND as a national power and it cracks me up to read comments about how poorly we played in a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP game! We were over-matched at just about every position playing against the best HC of all time...for Chrissakes...give credit when and where deserved and Kelly deserves getting ND back into the conversation. Last time I checked, we have 11 games remaining against some very good opponents so plenty of time for us to rebound and end the year in consideration of a spot in the playoff. I expect the D to vastly improve with Nevada being an important litmus test. As Kelly said in his presser, too early to be jumping ship but if still having the same conversation 10 weeks from now, then yes it will be a needed conversation. So for those who suggest he's more concerned about protecting a friend than he is winning football games, get a grip. Get behind your team and GO IRISH!

Finally a comment giving Kelly praise about reaching the NC! I think we take for granted what we have big time- Go Irish!

Agree to disagree. All good man. Would definitely be interesting to do a study on the top 20 coaches over the past 7 years and see where Kelly falls into that.

I think the answer here is obvious, term limits for head coaches. Two terms like a president and get out. Then he will eventually HAVE to accept the ND job. I see this as an even better idea than playoffs.

It's because we are stuck with him and most here are of an optimistic breed.

Oh I get that but some people post about him as if he's the second coming of Rockne. I just don't see it. I truly believe last year could have been something magical if not for all of the injuries. Aside from that and 2012 its been pretty much mediocrity. I mean even Willingham and Weis had a 10 win season and them along with Davie had some with 9. I'm not willing to group BK with those three but I sure won't put him up on a pedestal as if he is Rockne.

Oh I get that but some people post about him as if he's the second coming of Rockne. I just don't see it. I truly believe last year could have been something magical if not for all of the injuries. Aside from that and 2012 its been pretty much mediocrity. I mean even Willingham and Weis had a 10 win season and them along with Davie had some with 9. I'm not willing to group BK with those three but I sure won't put him up on a pedestal as if he is Rockne.

I haven't seen it since 2011...

He'll go on a pedestal very close to Holtz.. Maybe even higher.

Through 6 seasons hes averaged 9-4, i agree that is far from deserving to be placed on the irish head coaches mount rushmore but its much better then the previous 3 regimes which is why hes getting such a large amount of slack imo.

I personally dont think hes done enough to warrant a lifetime contract as some suggest he has, 9-4 at notre dame isnt good enough and just because hes made 2 big time bowl games in 6 seasons (and lost by a combined score of 86-42) isnt enough to justify it either.

Ive always been a kelly backer but not blindly. They could very well turn it around this year and make a playoff run with next years team looking a lot stronger and more experienced to make a much more serious run. But these 2 years are huge for kelly, i dont think its unreasonable to expect 20/22 wins over the next 2 seasons

Edited by goirish83

Through 6 seasons hes averaged 9-4, i agree that is far from deserving to be placed on the irish head coaches mount rushmore but its much better then the previous 3 regimes which is why hes getting such a large amount of slack imo.

I personally dont think hes done enough to warrant a lifetime contract as some suggest he has, 9-4 at notre dame isnt good enough and just because hes made 2 big time bowl games in 6 seasons (and lost by a combined score of 86-42) isnt enough to justify it either.

Ive always been a kelly backer but not blindly. They could very well turn it around this year and make a playoff run with next years team looking a lot stronger and more experienced to make a much more serious run. But these 2 years are huge for kelly, i dont think its unreasonable to expect 20/22 wins over the next 2 seasons

We seem to be losing more guys early to the NFL year after year which makes it tougher to reload. I have a tough time seeing us make big improvements on defense. We seem to miss on spots big during cycles which is why we have so many freshmen on defense. I know some were injuries but we're playing them for necessity basically and not because they're that good.

We have been churning NFL talent out at a top 5 level so we know it's a big scheme issue on defense. Plus recruiting classes around 10-15 are tougher to reload when teams like OSU and Bama are top 5 every year.

I want Kelly gone just cause I know he's a 9 win guy with the odd 11 win years mixed in when things go right. He'd probably be better with a legit DC but that is supposed to be his job.

I haven't seen it since 2011...

Haven't seen what since 2011?

He'll go on a pedestal very close to Holtz.. Maybe even higher.

Lol you're ****ing insane. Holtz has an NC and got screwed out of a second. Kelly has the Music City Bowl. Let's be real here.

This is exactly how I feel about him. I am enjoying the winning, its a large improvement from the 3 prior coaches. I just don't think he is this amazing savior of a coach like some people think he is.

Being optimistic is one thing. Having your head buried in the sand and not facing reality is entirely different.

Exactly.

Haven't seen what since 2011?

Lol you're ****ing insane. Holtz has an NC and got screwed out of a second. Kelly has the Music City Bowl. Let's be real here.

This is exactly how I feel about him. I am enjoying the winning, its a large improvement from the 3 prior coaches. I just don't think he is this amazing savior of a coach like some people think he is.

Exactly.

I get the arguments. Don't completely agree, but I understand.

What is the solution then? Who is a better head coaching option than Brian Kelly that would come to ND? Herman is the only name people are throwing out. He had a big year at Houston. Kelly enjoyed similar success at Cincy. How do we know Herman would be better? Charlie Strong was a force at Louisville, but that hasn't been the case at UT...

I guess, while I dont agree with the anti kelly argument I somewhat get what you're saying - I want to hear what you guys propose as the solution if Kelly isn't the answer.

We can critique the current state of the program, but is there a fix out there? Obviously the state of the defense needs to change...but if the defense matched the quality of Kelly's offense, well that's a dangerous team. For me I'm a Kelly believer - he just needs to get the defense squared away.

Edited by seanscarborough

I get the arguments. Don't completely agree, but I understand.

What is the solution then? Who is a better head coaching option than Brian Kelly that would come to ND? Herman is the only name people are throwing out. He had a big year at Houston. Kelly enjoyed similar success at Cincy. How do we know Herman would be better? Charlie Strong was a force at Louisville, but that hasn't been the case at UT...

I guess, while I dont agree with the anti kelly argument I somewhat get what you're saying - I want to hear what you guys propose as the solution if Kelly isn't the answer.

We can critique the current state of the program, but is there a fix out there? Obviously the state of the defense needs to change...but if the defense matched the quality of Kelly's offense, well that's a dangerous team. For me I'm a Kelly believer - he just needs to get the defense squared away.

I'm not arguing anything. I am not saying to fire him. I just don't see him as this elite savior of a coach that some of you tend to view him as. I am fine with him as the coach but neeeeeeeeds to get rid of BVG. If last year's team had 2012's defense...shiiiiiiiiiiit.