Devin Butler arrested

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just reading the news and saw this:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2016/08/30/an-innocent-black-man-was-punched-tased-and-arrested-by-police-officers-a-jury-awarded-him-18/?utm_term=.b47f39d0d805

Completely unrelated but the name of one of the police officers jumped out at me. Even more than the 18 dollar settlement. The guy definitely seems to find himself in an awkward position frequently.

Is it normal for 'problem' officers to remain partnered? One would think that management would want to separate officers that had multiple incidents together.

No, we are not using body camera's yet. A few Officers have them to test certain brands but we are not using them wide spread at this time. I'm sure there are camera's outside of the Backer though.

You guys too. Everyone wants the police to have cameras but no one wants to foot the bill lol. That and groups like the ACLU want everything the police do on camera, but don't want the people's rights to privacy, search and seizure, etc to be affected. Wrap your head around that one folks....

You guys too. Everyone wants the police to have cameras but no one wants to foot the bill lol. That and groups like the ACLU want everything the police do on camera, but don't want the people's rights to privacy, search and seizure, etc to be affected. Wrap your head around that one folks....

Isn't the cameras to protect the officers from being accused of wrongdoins as well?

Also, in general how do you guys feel about cameras? Not sure i could my job being recorded. Is it an insult?

Isn't the cameras to protect the officers from being accused of wrongdoins as well?

Also, in general how do you guys feel about cameras? Not sure i could my job being recorded. Is it an insult?

Yes. Contrary to the beliefs of certain organizations the cameras have much more often exonerated officers from BS complaints and accusations.

I have zero problem getting recorded, I'm not afraid of an aha moment because they don't really happen other than me goofing off or something. What I hate is when people put the damn things right in my face, with the light, blinding me. So I return the favor with my nice LED back at them and remind them that it doesn't feel so good getting blinded. Record away but not like a rude space eating moron. Most guys feel about the same.

I loved my body cam and used it for everything. But sadly our legislature I guess passed a law that makes it seem like it will be really expensive/impossible to use. So we are not using them at this time until we figure out exactly what the law entails.

I loved my body cam and used it for everything. But sadly our legislature I guess passed a law that makes it seem like it will be really expensive/impossible to use. So we are not using them at this time until we figure out exactly what the law entails.

Bodycams, from the makers of the Epipen.

I'd love to get body cams! Like it said above, most don't consider that it's more for my protection than theirs. I'd welcome them with open arms. I use my in-car camera as much as possible along with my body microphone (which we DO have). When people start recording me, I generally smile and wave. I'm constantly looking for myself on YouTube. No one seems to want to put me on there though. :(

Knepper is off street duty, pending ("at least") resolution in the Butler case:

http://www.southbendtribune.com/news/local/embattled-south-bend-cop-removed-from-street-patrol/article_e12b18d6-6dca-510f-b963-0fa7f3916ffe.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook_South_Bend_Tribune

I'm not saying who I got this info from, but a very high ranking officer gave a very similar account to what those eye witnesses said. It wasn't exactly cop-on-cop violence but it seems like two cops weren't on the same page, got Butler to the ground but in doing so it looked like Butler tackled one of them (from my understanding, picture a cop-Butler-cop sandwich, and one cop executed a fairly simple takedown but the end result looked far worse than the original intent). In that "scuffle" one of their belts broke and thus started the "Butler tried to disarm the cop" line of thought.

Edit - I really should clarify - this person was not there to witness this firsthand, this is what they gleaned from reading both officers' reports.

I won't say more as I don't want to compromise anyone, but this really could all be a big misunderstanding.

Knepper is off street duty, pending ("at least") resolution in the Butler case:

http://www.southbendtribune.com/news/local/embattled-south-bend-cop-removed-from-street-patrol/article_e12b18d6-6dca-510f-b963-0fa7f3916ffe.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook_South_Bend_Tribune

I'm not saying who I got this info from, but a very high ranking officer gave a very similar account to what those eye witnesses said. It wasn't exactly cop-on-cop violence but it seems like two cops weren't on the same page, got Butler to the ground but in doing so it looked like Butler tackled one of them (from my understanding, picture a cop-Butler-cop sandwich, and one cop executed a fairly simple takedown but the end result looked far worse than the original intent). In that "scuffle" one of their belts broke and thus started the "Butler tried to disarm the cop" line of thought.

Edit - I really should clarify - this person was not there to witness this firsthand, this is what they gleaned from reading both officers' reports.

I won't say more as I don't want to compromise anyone, but this really could all be a big misunderstanding.

At this stage there are very few ways it can go that are good. If the SBPD finds that there was something illegal in the way that the Butler arrest was handled they are in for a lawsuit. They are likely better off continuing to press the issue as a double felony as opposed to trying to explain it away as an accident. The lack of physical evidence for Butler (That is to say there are no camera recordings, and the only witnesses speaking out on behalf of Butler have a bias) helps the SBPD. They have obviously done enough legwork to feel comfortable with the charges and their chances in court. In a fairly high profile case like this the DA would have said something before now if they felt there was a chance Butler would get off the hook.

Sucky stuff either way, sounds like a case of an individual bad officer. I don't suspect that we will see Butler getting a handshake and an apology any time soon.

At this stage there are very few ways it can go that are good. If the SBPD finds that there was something illegal in the way that the Butler arrest was handled they are in for a lawsuit. They are likely better off continuing to press the issue as a double felony as opposed to trying to explain it away as an accident. The lack of physical evidence for Butler (That is to say there are no camera recordings, and the only witnesses speaking out on behalf of Butler have a bias) helps the SBPD. They have obviously done enough legwork to feel comfortable with the charges and their chances in court. In a fairly high profile case like this the DA would have said something before now if they felt there was a chance Butler would get off the hook.

Sucky stuff either way, sounds like a case of an individual bad officer. I don't suspect that we will see Butler getting a handshake and an apology any time soon.

He can take his circus out of town for all I care. He's been a distraction for way too long.