We will have a good to very good offensive line

We will have talent & DEPTH in the backfield at both QB and RB

We have questions and inexperience all along the receiver corps that needs serious development.....

That should be enough to win plenty of games but likely NOT enough to win 10/11 games.

If we counterintuitively field a TERRIFIC DEFENSE---then all bets are off---but I am not betting the house, hell i'm not betting the car on that....

Going to be interesting----

I love to pass as we all know but this season the endless calls for a RUN HEAVY ATTACK, calls that never really get answered, is likely the best bet for 2016!

aloha's

That's the thing, Notre Dame doesn't need them next year, they need them now. Smythe is ok, but nothing to write home about, Luatua is basically a FB who lines up on the LOS, Wicher isn't a D1 caliber starting TE.

Agree with most everything you said - I think many are taking this too lightly. Alize would have been a matchup nightmare and I think he would have been a dangerous weapon in the redzone especially.

I have no clue about Smythe. If he can stay healthy I think he could be a weapon. I agree that Luatua is a glorified FB who poses little to no threat in the passing game. But I think Weishar could surprise. He was an Army All American, consensus four star recruit, with offers from Ohio State, Michigan, Ole Miss, Oklahoma, etc. I remember he impressed the guys over at II during fall camp last year. But obviously there's a reason he hardly played even after Smythe went down. I just think it's too early to say he can't become a weapon.

We need something to blame. How about the banner? I know it's void of Alize but we can still blame it...

In all seriousness though, tough loss. Really hurts the scheme when you don't have a stretch seem guy who can release from a block and get out. Hope we can stopgap that position at least.

As ticked as I am about this news, I do want to give Smythe and Weishar a fair chance this season. Both kids have good size and were unanimous 4 stars coming out of hs. Alize was going to line up as a receiver some anyway. Claypool's #s were absurd in hs. After hearing this, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a real look here now.

As ticked as I am about this news, I do want to give Smythe and Weishar a fair chance this season. Both kids have good size and were unanimous 4 stars coming out of hs. Alize was going to line up as a receiver some anyway. Claypool's #s were absurd in hs. After hearing this, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a real look here now.

My guess is Smythe and Claypool split the snaps Jones would have taken.

If they're using the SAME OFFENSE as last year, the most important thing a TE has to do is block. I don't think Smythe, Weisher or Luatua did a particularly great job of that and Jones is probably worse. What he potentially could be is a Red Zone threat for fades and perhaps a slot threat. However, the accuracy needed to put the ball in very small windows, because he doesn't have slot receiver speed, makes him a situational player IN THIS OFFENSE. If they were planning on changing the offense, then that's a different thing.

My biggest concern is replacing Fuller. That guy was a star and was the fastest guy we've had since Rocket. Receivers with that kind of speed are really hard to replace.

My biggest concern is replacing Fuller. That guy was a star and was the fastest guy we've had since Rocket. Receivers with that kind of speed are really hard to replace.
Agreed. Sure Holmes is fast but unproven right now. Fuller, basically, won us the game at UVA. He could literally just outrun the opposing team. Very eager to see what the new receivers bring to the table as the talent is clearly there.
Pass catchers are a true weakness on this offense----I suppose that may help Zaire's cause----

Our experience is Hunter and that's about it across the board ---TE/SLOT/WR

For those of you expecting everybody with a good pedigree to "break out " and become and instant star---I would caution ---even our best recievers over the past years took more then one season to develop into real threats----see golden tate and will fuller---maybe only FLOYD came in and instantly played at a high level ----

The passing attack will likely have a big fall off from the past few years

aloha's

We don't know if it's a weakness. You say our best didn't break out right away, and I agree, but not every pass catcher is a true frosh. ESB has a year under his belt, Hunter has been here awhile, Smythe and Weisher have been with the program, Sanders was here last year, etc.

Fuller broke out as a sophomore with very little playing time the year prior. This isn't a bunch of first timers out there.

I'm not even saying your wrong. The WRs could very well be a big weakness this year. I just think your post is a tad misleading.

I'm going to chalk this up as not so big a deal, the question is he planning to come back?

Like others have said he isn't a great blocker and I think Claypool may already be a better receiving threat than him. Plus with him, Boykin and ESB we have tons of size out there.

I think the bigger problem is how this happens every year and opposing coaches might use it as a recruiting tactic.

I'm going to chalk this up as not so big a deal, the question is he planning to come back?

Like others have said he isn't a great blocker and I think Claypool may already be a better receiving threat than him. Plus with him, Boykin and ESB we have tons of size out there.

I think the bigger problem is how this happens every year and opposing coaches might use it as a recruiting tactic.

He tweeted last night that he will continue to work hard at Notre Dame, get his degree, and help this team win a National Championship. Does not seem like he has any intention of leaving.

I'm going to chalk this up as not so big a deal.
He was up for the Mackey as a true sophomore and is a 5 star recruit. It is a big deal considering he has a ton of talent and some experience also as a freshman. ND was counting on big things from him this year, and now this is a blow.

Huge blow, but certainly not something that should keep this team from reaching expectations no matter what they are. Lots of depth and talent at TE and WR. Guys just need to go out and produce and we will be fine. Still a big loss talent wise though and you never want that.

Agreed. Sure Holmes is fast but unproven right now. Fuller, basically, won us the game at UVA. He could literally just outrun the opposing team. Very eager to see what the new receivers bring to the table as the talent is clearly there.

Fuller also won us the USC game. Huge plays and several PI calls that resulted in TDs. Going to miss him for sure.