I don't like Brian Kelly

I don't.

It's the weirdest thing I know, but something about him bugs me. Always has. I went to UC for a while and my kid goes there, so i kinda knew bk before he was on the ND radar.

That said, I was thrilled he came to nd. Thought it was a perfect fit.

Now i don't hate kelly and he's the guy i want to coach the irish. He's my guy.

If you're confused, join the club.

I heard Steve Young give a keynote speech a few months ago.

The first part of his speech had to do with the reception he got the first year that he replaced Joe Montana as the starter. Any and all problems with the 49ers were blamed on Young.

Basically it boiled down to: "He ain't Joe"

I think the issue that some folks have with Kelly is that "he ain't Lou (or Ara)".

I hope that Kelly wins at least one NC. I do think that is a possibility. In 2012, if ND played KSU instead of Bama, the outcome might have been different. Even if he wins one, he might be treated more like Devine than the other NC winning coaches at ND. But I could easily live with that.

Edited by jbrown_9999
He is not endearing and mostly uninspiring. Good coach though. Not a great coach unfortunately. Will never get us a Championship. He is missing a key element that will prevent that.

What element is that? He's assembled an absolutely amazing staff outside of BVG. Recruiting is heating way up and they've put out multiple first round picks in the NFL.

As far as I'm concerned, Saban and Meyer are the only two that you can be confident will give a school a championship. Even then, I'm not sure even Saban would have a title at Stanford or ND. Even if he got 1, I don't see him getting more than 1 with the recruiting challenges.

Charlie weis was a crappy coach but he didn't have a problem recruiting. I don't BK is gonna climb trees and doing the electric slide to land a recruit which is respectable.

As far as I'm concerned, Saban and Meyer are the only two that you can be confident will give a school a championship. Even then, I'm not sure even Saban would have a title at Stanford or ND. Even if he got 1, I don't see him getting more than 1 with the recruiting challenges.

I think Saban would do very well at ND, just not as well as he has at Bama. You think Notre Dame would let him get away without disciplining Cam Robinson? Hell no. It's a lot easier to get kids to Bama with the low academic and ethical standards.

I don't like Brian Kelly because he made me give a damn about ND football again. It was easy when ND was mediocre. I could watch any game and not care if they won or lost.

Now I can't watch ND football. Week-in and week-out they are the best team on the field, or at worst evenly matched with their opponent (other than Alabama or Ohio State), yet they find a way to let the UVA's of the world almost win. ND wins almost all the time now, but it's never by enough. It's never by a comfortable margin (although that last Michigan game was actually quite comfortable!).

I yell at the TV now when I watch ND barely scratching by against inferior opponents because I now dare to care.

So, I don't like BK either.

But I'm glad he's coaching ND.

I don't know the guy so I can't tell.

Dislikes

That said, I was not a fan of the sideline demeanor with Grimes at Temple.

I was not a fan of early comments about Weis recruited kids vs Kelly recruited kids.

I don't like the early tragedies that occurred. As well as the academic honesty issue with the 3 or 4 kids a few years back .

I like:

The Kelly Cares Foundation

Under that the Football 101 for ladies.

The Kroger shopping spree he helps give kids at Christmas

The media likes Kelly a lot. They are around him more as well. Repeat guest on ESPN, Dan Patrick.(Non NBC Stations)

Conclusion: I can see your point but my feelings are conflicted. I'd need to meet him myself to know for sure.

I like Brian Kelly.

I like his teams, I like his record, I like his program.

I don't LOVE him as the coach.

I don't LOVE his offense, at all.

All things being equal, we played for one MNC in 2012 and stayed in the conversation until November last year. This year looks like a challenge to stay in the title conversation past Halloween, but that's why they play the games.

If Brian Kelly were to win a title, I would LOVE Brian Kelly...as it is, he is the best we are going to have for a long time, so we might as well make the best of it and remember, no matter what his shortcomings may be, he is no Art Briles-style dumpster fire and I'd NEVER accept a scumbag like that in exchange for winning.

I think VC had it about right , and I expect most of us share his view

Kelly is a good coach to a very good coach depending on the season----

Kelly is also smooth , glib, pretty smart and a good PR face for the program with a good understanding of the press.

Kelly is ALSO-- NOT a particularly warm and attractive personality , he simply is NOT the most likeable coach or fella that your gonna find

Kelly IMHO really needs a TITLE to cement himself as something special as a coach , and frankly even as difficult as it is I wouldn't be shocked if he gets one.

aloha

Kelly is ALSO-- NOT a particularly warm and attractive personality , he simply is NOT the most likeable coach or fella that your gonna find

Having met and dealt with him on a handful of occasions - and plenty others in his exact vocation - I completely disagree with this. As in COMPLETELY.

So I have to ask you, exactly how have you come to such a specific conclusion about him?

I'm assuming there has been consistent interaction between you and he?

Or verifiable supporting proof from people who have met, dealt and worked with him?

I'm not trying to be a jerk. But you are saying something in such a way that you've had personal interactions with him.

I really like Brian Kelly as a coach. He knows how to put together a solid staff, understands the limitations ND deals with and knows to play to its benefits, and is an outstanding recruiter/ambassador to the program.

Early on in his career, I didn't like his demeanor on the sidelines, but he has turned that down quite a bit.

It's really difficult for me to say any other coach would be doing a better job in all honesty.

What element is that? He's assembled an absolutely amazing staff outside of BVG. Recruiting is heating way up and they've put out multiple first round picks in the NFL.

Agree with all this. Hawaii hit the nail on the head. He is missing the likeability factor that is glaringly absent when all his former and current players speak warmly of him. Oh wait..... They don't.

I really like Brian Kelly as a coach. He knows how to put together a solid staff, understands the limitations ND deals with and knows to play to its benefits, and is an outstanding recruiter/ambassador to the program.

Early on in his career, I didn't like his demeanor on the sidelines, but he has turned that down quite a bit.

It's really difficult for me to say any other coach would be doing a better job in all honesty.

Agreed 100 percent

Agree with all this. Hawaii hit the nail on the head. He is missing the likeability factor that is glaringly absent when all his former and current players speak warmly of him. Oh wait..... They don't.

I've talked to plenty of former ND players who speak highly of him.

And by all means, link us all up to the guys who speak poorly about him.

You didn't say Please.... So drop dead

It's funny how you criticize BK for not being a warm and fuzzy person, yet when you are asked a simple request you resort to kind of a F---ed up response.

You seem like a good dude. And I mean that sincerely.

I wasn't asking you as an A-hole, I was honestly asking you for some examples of players who spoke poorly about BK. I'd absolutely defer to those examples too.

Yet your response was to tell me to drop dead.