We should make a list of game-changing plays Te'o and Smith made and then compare. Plays that directly impacted the game. (and I know it's subjective)

Do you include bad plays? For all the god things he's done, my last memories of manti was being overmatched by alabamas running backs. He had to have shoulder surgery after a failed tackle. I just don't recall Jaylon struggling that way.

Do you include bad plays? For all the god things he's done, my last memories of manti was being overmatched by alabamas running backs. He had to have shoulder surgery after a failed tackle. I just don't recall Jaylon struggling that way.

Not sure comparing final bowl games is an fair way of determining impact. Especially the way it ended for Jaylon. True, Manti was exposed (along with a myriad of girlfriend issues) against 'Bama and their deer antler spray, but so was Jaylon against OSU's run game.

I think it's hard to directly compare the two. Manti was recruited for a 3-4 defense and he's a perfect fit as a MLB in that scheme. Jaylon was recruited for the 3-4 as well but he would have likely been a pass rushing OLB and later got switched between different positions in a new 4-3 scheme. I think he would have kicked some backside as a pass rushing 3-4 OLB, a somewhat smaller version of Demarcus Ware.

I think both have good instincts but Jaylon was/is easily the more athletic of the two. Both were solid contributors from their first year going forward. Manti made more plays in his final season but 2012 was a magical type of season where everything fell into place until, well, you know. ND and Manti both benefited from a lot of "lucky bounces" that season.

In the end, both were great college linebackers with different physical characteristics and somewhat different skill sets.

Not sure comparing final bowl games is an fair way of determining impact. Especially the way it ended for Jaylon. True, Manti was exposed (along with a myriad of girlfriend issues) against 'Bama and their deer antler spray, but so was Jaylon against OSU's run game.

OK, that's a bit of a stretch. Jaylon didn't even get out of the first quarter. The problem with threads like this is you have people that take it personal and things like major knee injuries become an example of weakness.

OK, that's a bit of a stretch. Jaylon didn't even get out of the first quarter. The problem with threads like this is you have people that take it personal and things like major knee injuries become an example of weakness.

Before Jaylon's injury, OSU was running it down our throat. I'm not trying to convince anyone to change their admiration for two great ND players. I was just asking if anyone else noticed the different type of impact each player had. IMO, Manti had more of the "it" factor, but I'm not trying to change your opinion nor anyone else's. They both contributed great play for ND!

Manti was a once in a lifetime type of player. Part legend. Part lore. Add the Hawaiian angle and mystique surrounding it all and it makes for a great story. Add a dead grandma and girlfriend and it becomes the stuff of Hollywood movies.

I think if jaylon came back for his senior year and wasn't injured, he'd have had a special season like manti did. But a lot of it was that the entire 2012 defense was magical and manti was the heart and soul and leader of that defense. A lot of selfless players and a lot of clutch plays.

Manti deserved the Heisman that year, I'll never believe otherwise.

Before Jaylon's injury, OSU was running it down our throat. I'm not trying to convince anyone to change their admiration for two great ND players. I was just asking if anyone else noticed the different type of impact each player had. IMO, Manti had more of the "it" factor, but I'm not trying to change your opinion nor anyone else's. They both contributed great play for ND!

They were running everything up the middle and it was right up Joe's a$$

Am I the only one who loved Jaylon but never really felt the impact that Manti seemed to have in games? Maybe it was the Diaco difference? Anyways, congrats to Jaylon for signing with the Cowboys today!

I think Manti's senior year just had something special about it. Everything that needed to go right and man what a ride it was. From the Oklahoma game to the Michigan State game. Thinking about that season gives me chills. THE FREAKING GOALINE STOP AGAINST USC TO GO THE CHAMPIONSHIP.

One thing I will say about Jaylon's team his final year everything that could go wrong seemed to go wrong and we still almost got the playoff. That tells me a lot about his impact on the games.

We should make a list of game-changing plays Te'o and Smith made and then compare. Plays that directly impacted the game. (and I know it's subjective)

http://i.giphy.com/dIYbV53DcTe5G.gif

I think this is really the game/set/match to this entire discussion.

If we limit this conversation merely to college production, there isn't an argument. Every single pro-Jaylon argument hasn't been about what Jaylon did on the field but rather the post-ND analysis of Manti.

Manti was a once in a lifetime type of player. Part legend. Part lore. Add the Hawaiian angle and mystique surrounding it all and it makes for a great story. Add a dead grandma and girlfriend and it becomes the stuff of Hollywood movies.

I tried to avoid this thread for as long as I could.

Jaylon is great...Manti is a legend.

From suffering through a snow storm in shorts during his official visit during a blow out loss... Choosing the Irish on a feeling ND was where he should be...deciding to come back for his senior year...and the entire senior season Michigan, Oklahoma, Miami, Pitt, holy **** Standford, USC...he WAS the the BEST player in the nation that year!!

God what a year...and as you can tell (full disclosure) Manti is my man crush in a not weird way but in a kind of weird way. Lol

Jeez...I have a ND hat with 5 on it for God's sake...for Manti not Golson. Just sayn

Manti deserved the Heisman that year, I'll never believe otherwise.

Absolutely!! Manti won EVERY award he possibly could EXCEPT the Heisman. He swept the EVERY award. It just proves the Heisman is a popularity contest. I have long ago lost ALL respect for it. It literally means NOTHING in my eyes. Hell, I STILL have his quote in my signature.