Jaylon vs Manti

Donjuan

Am I the only one who loved Jaylon but never really felt the impact that Manti seemed to have in games? Maybe it was the Diaco difference? Anyways, congrats to Jaylon for signing with the Cowboys today!

Jaylon, as good an athlete he is. I just never felt that same buzz about him that I did with Manti. Clearly Jaylon was the better pro prospect, but I always felt like he didn't reach his full potential.

Manti was just flat out a leader. He was someone the entire team rallied around and he led them into battle each and every Saturday. I never really felt like Jaylon was a leader, at least not in the same sense that I thought Manti was.

There were times during games where it felt like Jaylon wasn't even on the field. That probably had a lot to do with teams scheming around him and staying away from him. But whenever Manti was on the field, you always knew he was there. Manti had this aura around him when he was playing that was just really special and and tapped into the potential of the players around him.

Edited by Sankee72

A lot of it has to do with that magical 2012 season. I mean, off the top, we went undefeated and Manti was usually at the center of it. The Michigan State game. The Michigan game. The Oklahoma game. His hype and exposure were just off the charts that season.

A lot of it has to do with that magical 2012 season. I mean, off the top, we went undefeated and Manti was usually at the center of it. The Michigan State game. The Michigan game. The Oklahoma game. His hype and exposure were just off the charts that season.

That Stanford goal line stop..

And, it didn't help that Jaylon played on some really bad defenses overall. Obviously the 2012 defense was epic and Manti was a big reason for that.

Not sure if they'd traded teams/years, that it would have been the same result for either.

Also didn't help that Jaylon is sort of a tweener where as Manti was a true MLB.

Manti was a more productive player but got exposed earlier in his career against faster teams. Manti was such a smart player, nothing will compare to his heisman run in 2012. I would take a healthy Jaylon, he pretty much shut down Mccaffrey this year which almost noone could do.

Jaylon will be a better pro but I'll take 2012 Manti everyday, without him we win 8-9 games. Manti arguably made more game changing plays in 2012 than Jaylon made in his career. Not too knock jaylon, he made plays Manti could never make but they aren't exactly the same linebacker position. I'll take Manti in college but Jaylon for the pros.

Edited by ndomer4

Manti was leagues better..

http://gifsec.com/wp-content/uploads/GIF/2014/12/No-Way-No-Nope-Sigh-Uhhm-Ehm-Yeah-No-Ugh-Ok-Whatever-Neil-Patrick-Harris-GIF-2015.gif?gs=a

yeah.... I can't agree with that.

Of course this is subjective... We know they played different roles and had a different squad around them. Who do I think was the better at their position, or even the LB position group? I definitely say Jaylon Smith. I believe his NFL career will support my stance... we'll have to wait and see.

http://gifsec.com/wp-content/uploads/GIF/2014/12/No-Way-No-Nope-Sigh-Uhhm-Ehm-Yeah-No-Ugh-Ok-Whatever-Neil-Patrick-Harris-GIF-2015.gif?gs=a

Of course this is subjective... We know they played different roles and had a different squad around them. Who do I think was the better at their position, or even the LB position group? I definitely say Jaylon Smith. I believe his NFL career will support my stance... we'll have to wait and see.

We're not comparing NFL stats though. I was just commenting on what they did in college and it seems (off the top of my head) that Manti made more game-changing plays and had more impact. Hardly a slight on Jaylon. Manti was an AA legit Heisman Trophy candidate. Sometimes I wonder what Jaylon could have done in Diaco's basic defensive sets.

We're not comparing NFL stats though. I was just commenting on what they did in college and it seems (off the top of my head) that Manti made more game-changing plays and had more impact. Hardly a slight on Jaylon. Manti was an AA legit Heisman Trophy candidate. Sometimes I wonder what Jaylon could have done in Diaco's basic defensive sets.

To be honest, I cant even recall significant plays for Jaylon. Manti was a commanding presence on the field and had several game changing plays throughout his career. I know Jaylon was a star, but the plays just dont even come to mind....

I think a lot has to do with the defense they ran. Te'o was superstar and Jaylon was a freak. That's the main difference for me. I think we take Jaylon a little bit for granted to be perfectly honest. Jaylon would have been tremendously successfull in Te'os role.

Might be my two favorite ND football players of all time.

Manti always seemed to be in the right place at the right time, especially with all of his picks....Personally, I'll take a healthy Jaylon though....

Manti was a liability in the passing game for the first 3 years. He never touched a pass and got burned quite often. But he could close the gaps and cover from sideline to sideline. I think that he was more instinctive.

In his senior year he caught a lot of tipped balls but he was never good in coverage.

Jaylon was much more athletic and could cover the pass. He could chase down Ball carriers and a very good tackler. JMO

NFL doesn't mean ****. You can't bring up NFL.

Unless you want to tell me Antonio Brown was a better college receiver than Golden Tate? You want to tell me Tom Brady was a better college quarterback than Vince Young?

Manti, without the NFL hindsight, without the catfish thing...was the best college athlete to play at Notre Dame since Rocket. He was the best.

The funny thing is I feel like if you swapped them out they would have been better. Manti would have been the leader last years defense needed with all of the injuries and jaylons speed would have gave the 2012 team some added pass rushing and coverage ability.

I'd still go with Jaylon. Got to remember he still had another year.

Question, if Nyles morgan lives up to his hype do we become "Linebacker U"?

Loved both guys. Hard to measure who is better since they played two different positions, different DC and how they were used, and different supporting casts. Like others have said, Jaylon is a physical freak, and Manti was a general on the field. It would've been awesome to have both playing together!

It's like picking my favorite kid...