Blue/Gold Game Official Thread

Irish Chris

I can't believe there's no thread for this already.

First quarter just ending now.

Man, Kizer looks good. Dexter Williams looks quick and strong.

Redfield made an All-American tackle for no gain, great angle finally son!

Then Max get's trucked by Dexter for a TD. Bad angle + high-tackle = TRUCKED

Studstill WILL contribute this year!

Why is Folston playing??!!!

I think I have decided how I feel about the QB position.

Zaire is flashy and a pure play-maker but is inconsistent. He will put a ton of points on the board but is prone to bad games.

Kizer is more dependable, methodical and consistent. He is a traditional QB in a good way but he's not going to wow you.

So it's flashy vs consistent. Who would you choose? Who will Kelly Choose?

Edge Kizer so far.

Redfield, with the exception of the Williams run, is looking great.

Redfield is doing what he needs to do. Malik needs to step it up.

Zaire finally decided to wake up a bit before the half. He made some great throws. Kizer came back to Earth a bit.

Redfield has been better overall. I saw Avery Sebastian in on a number of plays too.

Pretty sure that Torii will be the go-to receiver on offense. I'm not really going out on a limb there though.

Are we winning.....lol.

Hopefully BK won't pull the trigger on naming a starter at QB going into the summer. I really want everyone to stay going into this season. I think Kizer may end up the starter, but Malik needs to know he could come in and play in an instant just like Kizer did for him last year. Even if Malik doesn't end up the starter he is a dangerous weapon who could be called on a lot with packages using his talents to really give opposing defenses fits.

I've been rooting for Zaire to win the job....he needs to catch up to Kizer as a game manager though.

I agree. That's the thing, Zaire is going against a seasoned vet at this point. Kizer has been through big games with almost a whole season of first team reps. It's a tough choice, outstanding play making ability versus a player with his own game changing ability with at this this point, more experience.

Can't go wrong with either, I even think our third string is etter than half the countries starters. We are in a great spot qb wise atm though which is the key work.

I agree, we are in pretty good shape with the QB situation at the moment. I just wish we could get everything together all at the same time, good/great returning QB (s) and a defense comparable to 2012 and we might really make a run at it. We seem to get good play out of one side or the other while the opposite suffers a bit. Getting everything to build together equally is the key, and we just haven't had the best of luck with that in Kelly's tenure.

Is it me or are the spring games under Kelly always so boring? I mean I see some schools with these high scores and we always have these low scoring vanilla games.

They seem to go by so quick too and you can never gain too much from them. I guess he wants to come out injury free which is somewhat of a win for us.

I agree, we are in pretty good shape with the QB situation at the moment. I just wish we could get everything together all at the same time, good/great returning QB (s) and a defense comparable to 2012 and we might really make a run at it. We seem to get good play out of one side or the other while the opposite suffers a bit. Getting everything to build together equally is the key, and we just haven't had the best of luck with that in Kelly's tenure.

Other than 2012 the defense has been average for the better part of 10 years. I wish we became more of a defensive minded school(ala Bama, LSU, ect). The problem is there are only so many great front seven players in the country and most of them stay south. I wish we would convert some of our depth at receiver and running back(Justin Brent, Chase Claypool) to defense. We just don't have very many special athletes on that side of the ball it seems.

People are wondering who our QB starter will be? Have any of you ever known BK to not go with the veteran guy? Zaire will start.

Based on number of games played, Kizer is the veteran. It's too bad BK had to wait 7 seasons before getting an influx of talent at the QB position. Anyone else remember the exciting Dayne Crist, Tommy Rees battle.:rofl::rofl:

Dexter Williams made both Josh Barajas and Max Redfield look bad here.

Yep. I was on the visitor's side I so could see him make someone look silly but I couldn't tell who it was.

I think Kizer and Zaire are similar but not the same. I think Kizer is a passer who can run and until we see a larger sample size, Zaire is more of a runner who can pass. You have to remember, he was pulled for Golson against LSU in some passing situations and it's hard to gauge how good he really was against Texas, who was not playing good football in his only full game as "the man."

Torii is definitely going to be the go to guy. If Stepherson keeps progressing he could be in the mix. He had one drop that I was surprised he didn't catch.

Pretty banal game but there were some nice plays and nice hits. Studstill had a nice stop not far from where I was. Even though I was on the other side of the field, I could hear BVG pretty easily.

As an aside, I was seated next to three women who were together and I was barraged by questions, "Who's that? Why is he wearing a red jersey? Why is he wearing a green jersey? Who is #14? How tall is #68?" Every time it looked like a "name guy" was going to be hit they would say "Oh no, oh no, oh no!" The woman to my left would say "Sh**, sh**, sh**!" in the same situations at the same time. :grin:

They also talked me into doing the wave. I so hope it didn't end up on camera.

What part was unclear? BK prefers the guys who have had longer to digest his game.

I see your point about the original and follow up statement; however I feel your conclusion is faulty. Kizer clearly has more game experience and has enough of the running skills to keep defenses on their heals. His arm is as strong with better touch. My only criticism is his tendency to fix on the primary receiver. What I saw today was some of that but also better skill in going through his progressions. That side arm throw was a thing of beauty. I complained all last year that he was slow in his decisiveness; but I believe the game will slow down for him in a second year. Yeah it's a spring game, but he looked more poised and in command of calling out audibles and protections. Either way we are in a great position. I believe CBK values game experience over tenure.

I liked the defense. Team speed is better than it has been on that side in awhile. Run defense seemed good.

Offensively its much what I expected.

Interesting decision for Kelly.

Here are the 2 QB's has I see them

Zaire hits more home runs, also strikes out more.

Kizer has the higher batting average. Less big plays, more consistency.

We lost a bit of sizzle without Fuller out there.

But I believe if we use our punter, set our defense up with long fields, and take advantage in the redzone, ND iis more than capable of having a good to very good year.