Spring Practice Report #3

Since thread 2 went to page 2 here's a new one. We're just trying keep everything easy to view for eveyone. To me its easiest to view in the first 2 pages of a thread.

Unfortunately I have not been able to keep the practice numbers straight so these threads are just divided in "ordered slices" of content if you will

[ame]

[/ame]

Kelly had a presser today.

This was a press conference you really had to keep score of.

First Sanders is probably a 4 month injury. Grade 3 Hip Flexor (may or may not need surgery

Miles Boykin also broke his finger.

Williams Transsferred.

Finke (walk-on Receiver) may return punts

Alize Jones "banged up"

Corey Robinson 2nd Concussion.

Nyles Morgan, James Onawaulu impressing leadership wise at LB, Asmar Bilal got a mention but has a lot to learn

QB: Malik Zaire and Deshone Kizer sharing first team reps, Wimbush getting 2nd's or 3rd's "enough to improve".

Malik "rusty in management of the offense"

Kizer "better at management" continues to work on mechanics.

Wide Receivers

Holmes and Finke working inside at Z

Hunter, Stepherson, EQ "outside" mostly X, I'm sure EQ got some W.

Safety-

Devin Studstill presumably 1st team safety at present

"natural player"

Nickel: Crawford again called outstanding

Tranquill made some nice one on one tackles today per Kelly.

Corners "a battle"

2nd D-line

Jay Hayes to end

Hayes and Blankenship mentioned makes sense as sub DE

Elijah Taylor, Mokuah,Montelus,, Dew Treadway mentioned as depth at DT.

Hopeful on Daelin Hayes, not able to evaluate much without contact.

Offensive line today:

LT McGlinchey, LG Nelson, C Mustipher, RG McGovern or Hoge RT Bars or Bivin

Left side set right side still being worked out.

Offensive lineman need to do 600 pounds on the Squat and 22-24 reps at 225 to start generally

McGovern when healthy has all the tools at Guard

not a fan of this

Just because he's a walk-on doesn't mean he can't play

I see him burning our DBs in the videos. Although that could also mean that we're just in trouble come Fall hahaha

In any case, Sanders will be back full force in the Fall, so I wouldn't worry too much

I seriously cannot wait to see Crawford...The little I saw of him, he's probably the most explosive guy we have on defense right now

I see him burning our DBs in the videos. Although that could also mean that we're just in trouble come Fall hahaha

In any case, Sanders will be back full force in the Fall, so I wouldn't worry too much

I seriously cannot wait to see Crawford...The little I saw of him, he's probably the most explosive guy we have on defense right now

Here is a quote from 2015 scout article from when Finke got on campus

"Chris Finke – I think Finke (#27) just beat another scholarship player for a touchdown as I typed these notes Friday morning"

Finke returned punts in high school. Kid can play. Was he a preferred walk-on?

Not saying he "can't play" but it is rarely a good thing for a walk on to out play our scholarship players on offense, while burning our players on defense.

Not saying he "can't play" but it is rarely a good thing for a walk on to out play our scholarship players on offense, while burning our players on defense.

It's a plus if ND gets a scholarship quality player as a walk-on. The JJ Watt and Clay Matthews of the world are evidence that recruiting is an imperfect science.

I don't think he's outplaying our scholarship offensive players. That's probably a pretty big exaggeration to a few video clips and compliments from the staff. First, Boykin and Sanders are out right now. Second, Hunter is probably not at every practice because of baseball. So that essentially leaves ESB, Holmes, Stepherson, and Finke. Holmes played slot for the first time yesterday and Kelly mentioned wanting to leave ESB, Stepherson, and Hunter on the outside.

Finke is gonna get his playing time right now.

I don't think he's outplaying our scholarship offensive players. That's probably a pretty big exaggeration to a few video clips and compliments from the staff. First, Boykin and Sanders are out right now. Second, Hunter is probably not at every practice because of baseball. So that essentially leaves ESB, Holmes, Stepherson, and Finke. Holmes played slot for the first time yesterday and Kelly mentioned wanting to leave ESB, Stepherson, and Hunter on the outside.

Finke is gonna get his playing time right now.

He's our new Cam.

It's a plus if ND gets a scholarship quality player as a walk-on. The JJ Watt and Clay Matthews of the world are evidence that recruiting is an imperfect science.

God I hate this. So here's a fun lesson on this. From 2008-2012 there were a total of 13816 kids ranked by Rivals.

158 5* (1.1% of kids)

1754 4* (12.7%)

5939 3*(43%)

5965 2* (43.2%)

So of all the kids ranked, 86.2% were 3* or less, a total of 11,904 kids.

So here's a fun chart that shows what % of their numbers ended up as All-American's at some point:

http://www.cbssports.com/images/collegefootball/2008-12_Recruiting-Per_Capita_All-Americans_by_Recruiting_Class.jpg

Odds of Becoming an All-American, by Recruiting Ranking

5–Star: 1 in 4.

Top 100: 1 in 6.

4–Star: 1 in 16.

3–Star: 1 in 56.

2–Star: 1 in 127.

All FBS Signees: 1 in 45.

So yes, Teddy Two-Star could become the next JJ Watt. But there is a 99.2% chance he won't.

This is like spending your last dollar on a goddamn lotto ticket. So while you say, "He could be the next Darqueze Dennard!", odds are he is going to be a practice squad kid and if you're lucky, Joe Schmidt....

Edited by piratey

God I hate this. So here's a fun lesson on this. From 2008-2012 there were a total of 13816 kids ranked by Rivals.

158 5* (1.1% of kids)

1754 4* (12.7%)

5939 3*(43%)

5965 2* (43.2%)

So here's a fun chart that shows what % of their numbers ended up as All-American's at some point:

http://www.cbssports.com/images/collegefootball/2008-12_Recruiting-Per_Capita_All-Americans_by_Recruiting_Class.jpg

So yes, Teddy Two-Star could become the next JJ Watt. But there is a 99.2% chance he won't.

This is like spending your last dollar on a goddamn lotto ticket. So while you say, "He could be the next Darqueze Dennard!", odds are he is going to be a practice squad kid and if you're lucky, Joe Schmidt....

We need "like" buttons. We should sticky this post somehow, because every year, no matter how many times we answer this issue, some bonehead mentions the exception to the rule as if it's the rule. Where is goddamn Bruce Heggie these days? Didn't think so....

We need "like" buttons. We should sticky this post somehow, because every year, no matter how many times we answer this issue, some bonehead mentions the exception to the rule as if it's the rule. Where is goddamn Bruce Heggie these days? Didn't think so....

That was not my point and I'm not a bonehead. I mentioned that recruiting is not a perfect science since it is true that walk on players occasionally slip through the cracks and become stars. My point was that it is not a negative if a walk-on out performs expectations such as Finke returning punts for ND, it is a plus for his team since it is like getting an extra scholarship for free.

To use your lottery example, it is not that you spend your last dollar on a ticket hoping to win but it is more like spending $25 to buy 25 tickets but you find that you were given an extra ticket which turns out to win you some money.

Edited by jbrown_9999

That was not my point and I'm not a bonehead. I mentioned that recruiting is not a perfect science since certain undesired players occasionally slip through the cracks and become stars. My point was that it is not a negative if a walk-on out performs expectations such as Finke returning punts for ND, it is a plus for his team since it is like getting an extra scholarship for free.

I got what you were saying big dawg! We should be cheering on our walkons that perform to a higher level than expected. Everyone knows the improbability that most walkons and lower level recruits have at becoming stars.

That was not my point and I'm not a bonehead. I mentioned that recruiting is not a perfect science since it is true that walk on players occasionally slip through the cracks and become stars. My point was that it is not a negative if a walk-on out performs expectations such as Finke returning punts for ND, it is a plus for his team since it is like getting an extra scholarship for free.

To use your lottery example, it is not that you spend your last dollar on a ticket hoping to win but it is more like spending $25 to buy 25 tickets but you find that you were given an extra ticket which turns out to win you some money.

No, you're a great poster on this site, I appreciate your contributions. I don't think he was calling you a bonehead, i think just in general there are some (like me) who value development once they're on campus over rankings.

Also, let's not forget, this is a direct result of Brian Kelly making it a point to develop his walkon program and handing out scholarships. If you can take kids with potential, develop them and have them contribute to the point of earning a scholarship, you have a self-perpetuating cycle of getting better talent willing to walkon on and a great strengthening of the team overall.

It's spring practice, a lot of times we've see Kelly play head games with players (maybe that's where max redfield is at to get a fire lit under his ***) and it's by no means indicative of what we'll see this fall. But if Chris Finke gets on the field on game day, I think it's a great sign of Kelly's accomplishments and not an indictment of Kelly.

No, you're a great poster on this site, I appreciate your contributions. I don't think he was calling you a bonehead, i think just in general there are some (like me) who value development once they're on campus over rankings.

Also, let's not forget, this is a direct result of Brian Kelly making it a point to develop his walkon program and handing out scholarships. If you can take kids with potential, develop them and have them contribute to the point of earning a scholarship, you have a self-perpetuating cycle of getting better talent willing to walkon on and a great strengthening of the team overall.

It's spring practice, a lot of times we've see Kelly play head games with players (maybe that's where max redfield is at to get a fire lit under his ***) and it's by no means indicative of what we'll see this fall. But if Chris Finke gets on the field on game day, I think it's a great sign of Kelly's accomplishments and not an indictment of Kelly.

giphy.gif

You see it when Alabama plays us or Michigan State in big games. They do both... You NEED highly ranked recruits and you NEED to develop them.

158 5* (1.1% of kids)

1754 4* (12.7%)

5939 3*(43%)

5965 2* (43.2%)

I think the point the poster is making is that JJ and Clay simply prove recruiting is an inexact science, and that argument is bigger and more important than the numbers indicating the percentages of All-Americans that are delivered from the various star rankings.

Of greater importance is that productive players can emerge from across the board, and it's ludicrous for fans to dismiss the potential of a productive player simply because he's a walk-on. J.J. and Clay are indeed lottery ticket examples. But there are examples on plenty of teams - good teams too - of good, productive players starting out as walk ons or low-end star ranking.