Has Stanford replaced ND?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would take 100 years of ND being shut down for this to happen. The program is too storied, and it is still one of the premier academic/athletic institutions. It is still a school that kids grow up dreaming about attending, only a select group think that way about Stanford.

Other schools schedule Notre Dame as a marquee matchup, not so much with Stanford. ND is ND, and as long as they choose to be they will be the best in their space. They might lose a few more cerebral recruits to NW or Stanford, but when it comes down to it they are going to get a bigger barrel of big fish than the other two combined.

Win a Natty and we can talk about it....until then ND football is far superior in terms of recognition, following, budget, draft prospectives, scheduling, facilities, recruiting

Pretty much all Stanford has is academics compared to ND....they win a few rose bowls with a non existent USC power in the state and we give them a crown....they are who we think they are!!

It would take 100 years of ND being shut down for this to happen. The program is too storied, and it is still one of the premier academic/athletic institutions. It is still a school that kids grow up dreaming about attending, only a select group think that way about Stanford.

Other schools schedule Notre Dame as a marquee matchup, not so much with Stanford. ND is ND, and as long as they choose to be they will be the best in their space. They might lose a few more cerebral recruits to NW or Stanford, but when it comes down to it they are going to get a bigger barrel of big fish than the other two combined.

These are pretty much my thoughts along with Yiks post.

I'd say yes... Stanford has 2 Rose Bowl wins and an Orange Bowl win. We are a big fat 0-5 in BCS games, so yes in football we have fallen behind Stanford.

We seem to lose more recruits to them as well than we steal from them even though it's pretty close. The Paolo Alto weather and women is a big draw and it is a great school too. They are definitely trending up, however as they have strengths such as weather and women we will always get the kids who are more religious. Also as others have pointed we have the lore and history that can't be matched by any other school, in that regards Notre Dame stands alone.

Edited by ndomer4
As what? The premier academic/athletic school? I think ND currently has 8-9 teams ranked in the top 20 of their prespective sport. That's pretty darn impressive...

Yes, THE premier academic football school. The original title stated that but it got shortened.

As far as on field performance, performance in big bowl games, head to head against us and even with recruiting now, you can make the case.

Harbaugh may have created them but Shaw has done a masterful job of maintaining it since he left. They are not going away.

I'd say yes... Stanford has 2 Rose Bowl wins and an Orange Bowl win. We are a big fat 0-5 in BCS games, so yes in football we have fallen behind Stanford.

We seem to lose more recruits to them as well than we steal from them even though it's pretty close. The Paolo Alto weather and women is a big draw and it is a great school too. They are definitely trending up, however as they have strengths such as weather and women we will always get the kids who are more religious. Also as others have pointed we have the lore and history that can't be matched by any other school, in that regards Notre Dame stands alone.

This is what I'm talking about. Nice post.

We are talking about a program that we have split the last 4 games with. All of them were 1 possession games with ND 26 seconds from making it 3/4. Also, aside from the Andrew Luck/Jim Harbaugh 2010 Orange Bowl, their BCS wins aren't very impressive.

2011 L to Oklahoma St

2012 Handed Wisconsin their 6th loss in the Rose Bowl

2013 L to MSU who ND defeated that season

2015 Defeated 12-1 Iowa who was a fraud

Stanford wouldn't have fared better than ND had they played Ohio St or Alabama. They are good, but there is no need to put them on a pedestal.

Edited by irish21

I don't know that they've surpassed us but it is certainly closer then it ever used to be whether we want to admit it or not.

Historically of course not but on field performance since the Harbaugh/shaw era started? Yeah the results are pretty telling, and you can say they have bad big bowl wins but I'd rather have bad big time bowl wins then none at all.

Threat to what? Do they have a good football program? Sure but they do not surpass ND or a number of other schools for that matter in National exposure, recognition and other key measurable's. Being a member of the Pac 12 plays in their favor as does the academic reputation, rise of IT and Hi Tech industries, it's going to be a sought after destination. However I don't understand the threat to ND aspect. While we both target a fair number of the same types of kids, I think history dictates we go up against other big time programs more frequently. Stanford is a good rival, the home and home is an important tool for ND recruiting and West Coast exposure but never can envision Stanford being a threat to the ND brand. GO IRISH!

Some interesting stats attached....

attachment.php?attachmentid=1160&d=1455897707

Observations:

Stanford has been playing a slightly better schedule than ND over the past decade and has faired better against the ranked teams during that period. That said, that decade is a period in which ND was recovering from all-time program lows while Stanford was ahead of ND on the rebuilding curve and experiencing all-time program highs.

My conclusion: While Stanford has experienced recent success, they have not replaced ND because you cannot discount the history, the $$, the reach, and the relevance of the program (regardless of record). Had Notre Dame continued on the Ty Willy path, we may have been too far gone, but ND remains relevant and has returned to playing competitive football. Stanford Needs to accomplish more, and sustain that program for more than a few years, before I consider them ahead of ND.

Edited by MyFightingIrish

the longer stanford is good, the bigger of a threat they become. kids get a chance at an ivy league level school, that is now consistently good at football, and is in california. i saw some crazy stat on a different site where a ridiculously high percent of recruits who get accepted to stanford go. like 90% or something crazy. i understand that those who are truly interested are those who would apply, but still, it is crazy to think about.

To me their biggest issue is their fanbase. You watch games and the stadium is half full.