BVG should be fired

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The opposing qb doesn't seem to have trouble figuring them out.

Love this quote. Our Defense doesn't know what the hell they are supposed to be doing but opposing QB's sure can find all the wholes in this genius scheme.

And seriously d backs can't stay with guys when we are rushing the QB under normal circumstances so lets rush 3 so they have more time to get open.

Can't hold for the 11th win 25 seconds----

there is no excuse for that

BVG needs to be replaced--its very difficult finding the elements that our GOOD from his scheme.....what has he really brought to the defense

List the positives that coaching has given the defense over the last two seasons...its difficult

Tacking has been pretty good --not talking about butler---pretty good at stoping the run

THATS ABOUT IT

Big plays all over the place

Poor pass rush

Ineffective blitzes

Poor coverage scheme constantly confusing our safeties

Not great on 3rd down

Very hard not to expect better from a different DC

Change has to be made and likely will be made in February

aloha

Guys, When you are in the red zone 3 times and get three field goals I'd say that's more of a cause of our loss than anything.

38 points is unacceptable, no pick 6's or special teams td's for them means every point was on the d. With the injuries on offense the defense had to pick up more of the slack and they blew it tonight.

The opposing qb doesn't seem to have trouble figuring them out.

Love this quote. Our Defense doesn't know what the hell they are supposed to be doing but opposing QB's sure can find all the wholes in this genius scheme.

And seriously d backs can't stay with guys when we are rushing the QB under normal circumstances so lets rush 3 so they have more time to get open.

We see it every week. The middle of the field is ALWAYS open. We put too much pressure on Max to cover all that space and we know his head is spinning in coverage and he takes bad angles against the run. BVG made no adjustments to the game plan and put Butler in coverage as if it was Russell. I said it earlier this week that I'm old enough to remember Lou starting a true freshman running back at corner opposite Todd Lyght against Miami and all their talent at receiver, but we can't get anyone to step in to stop a Stanford receiver?

Does bvg also not believe in using the ball strip technique? I don't want to see it done in sacrifice of a tackle, which can happen one on one, but when a teammate has the carrier in his grasp, and another guy comes to assist, why not go for the strip?? Hardly ever see us do it.

Does bvg also not believe in using the ball strip technique? I don't want to see it done in sacrifice of a tackle, which can happen one on one, but when a teammate has the carrier in his grasp, and another guy comes to assist, why not go for the strip?? Hardly ever see us do it.

I thought the same thing. It sure as hell works against us.

Just an observance that may or may not be something worth noting:

BK gets a new OC, outside his coaching tree. One of the best offenses we've had with a 3rd string QB.

DC from the tree, confusing D that breaks too often and has some very elite talent.

Should BK start to get out of his comfort zone a little more as many have opined for years now? I think you go out and get top talent and new ideas, diversify the pool a bit.

His history is to not stay too long at one place. He HAS to hear the scuttlebut and may quit before he is fired. I don't want this to affect our recruiting though. Now more than ever we need to get these guys in.

I'm pretty sure he brings next to nothing in that department. All of our defensive recruits love their position coaches. Haven't heard BVG's name mentioned much from any of them.

I personally hope he gets fired before the bowl game. Maybe make Elston interim DC.

The fact that the defenses have gotten worse as the season progresses is a sign that he needs to go. All these "stud" freshman linebackers can't seem to get on the field either. I know Joe Schmidt is a gym rat, film junkie, lots of heart, whatever bullshit cliche, but Nyles Morgan played a lot last year and he STILL can't grasp the scheme? I just don't buy it. BVG should move on.

I'm pretty sure he brings next to nothing in that department. All of our defensive recruits love their position coaches. Haven't heard BVG's name mentioned much from any of them.

I personally hope he gets fired before the bowl game. Maybe make Elston interim DC.

I would have still felt a little better if the main guys had signed already. We have Hayes, Fuller, Studstill etc still deciding and that may be enough to push them. I dunno.

When Clausen was QB, teams would rush 3 and drop 8 and I remember thinking, he cant run, and you can't throw when they drop 8 even though sometimes he would have 7 seconds to pass.

When Rees was QB, I remember thinking the same thing.

With Golson, Zaire, or Kizer as QB, I think our QB is gonna run for the first down.

We are the only team I can remember that drops 8 and is easier to pass on.

I've noticed all year that when we play zone we are absolutely terrible. It looks to me like guys are dropping X yards deep on the proper hash, probably in the exact location they were coached to be, but when a guy runs 3 yards in front of them, they don't react. Is it players not making what seems to me instinctive football plays (like get off your zone and guard the guy right by you) or is it coaching?

I don't know, but this is the worst drop 8/zone team I've ever seen. (And ND fans have seen a lot). Weird thing is, I feel like we are decent at man coverage.

A couple of things.

We win if not for the facemask. It killed us. Totally changed the play calling for stanford. It was a real crusher.

I don't like how complex the defense is. It reminds me of Minters defense in the nineties where the guys had to read wrist bands. Ridiculous.

We just don't have the athletes on defense Still. We do on offense but the defense is where we lack. Look at alabama, lsu, Ohio state, Florida state, etc. We have to get there in talent and depth.

Most elite defensive players don't seem to have the desire to 'play school' I'm afraid. Honestly, who would OSU and the others take on our defense? Jaylon? Day? That's about it.

Not fast enough. Not physical enough. Not coached well enough.

aloha

I say change is made before the bowl game. No more Mr. Nice Guy.

Nice guys finish last.

Is it possible to get Bud Foster now that Beamer is gone????? I would absolutely love that

I really think it was a slap in the face to not hire him as the head coach for all his years of service, and great service to say the least....

He is staying with Va Tech.

The fact that the defenses have gotten worse as the season progresses is a sign that he needs to go. All these "stud" freshman linebackers can't seem to get on the field either. I know Joe Schmidt is a gym rat, film junkie, lots of heart, whatever bullshit cliche, but Nyles Morgan played a lot last year and he STILL can't grasp the scheme? I just don't buy it. BVG should move on.

Exactly.

If his scheme's complexity is keeping better talent off the field, that's unacceptable.

My other knock would be that our blitzes never seem to pressure opposing QBs. Like ever. We should have blitzed the **** out of Hogan that last possession but he probably thought blitzing never seems to work.

I just watched the presser. He took a long pause and breath when asked about that 23 yard play. I hope Coach Lyght isn't caught up in this, but honestly I wouldn't object if we had a different DC. We wasted two of our great defensive players. Smith and Day deserved better.

BVG needs to be replaced--its very difficult finding the elements that our GOOD from his scheme.....what has he really brought to the defense

List the positives that coaching has given the defense over the last two seasons...its difficult

Tacking has been pretty good --not talking about butler---pretty good at stoping the run

THATS ABOUT IT

Big plays all over the place

Poor pass rush

Ineffective blitzes

Poor coverage scheme constantly confusing our safeties

Not great on 3rd down

aloha

This sums it up for me as well. Our D hasn't really been good at anything consistently. The ineffective blitzes and our poor pass coverage were the most frustrating things to me.

We need a top and proven DC that will simplify things and get back to basics. It is what it is.