ND bet on the wrong horse there. A lot of people get mad at CW like he pulled the wool over, it is silliness. ND just misjudged how good he really was and is almost through paying the price. At least financially.

I lay full blame of this embarrassment at the feet of Kevin White. Not Charlie Weiss.

I still cant believe they gave him a extension after only his first 5 games or whatever it was.

Yep, 7 games I think, and it was one of the stupidest decisions I've seen made by otherwise smart people.

Yep, 7 games I think, and it was one of the stupidest decisions I've seen made by otherwise smart people.

What is more stupid - ND with the extension or Kansas signing him.

He was a decent offensive coach and recruiter - he just didn't get the people pumped up on defense.

I wasn't as negative as a lot of people on C.W - but he just killed me when he would tell the kids to get excited...you cannot get people pumped by telling them to be pumped...

He made TWICE as much as Kelly last year. His buyout last year is absolutely criminal. He swindled ND and KU. Ridiculous.

Does any else have an issue he's making significantly more from ND than BK?

I am not going to blame Weis at all for this. He negotiated his position. It's the people that were buying that were too willing.....

Caveat Emptor!

Why is Kelly paid so little vs C.W.?

Is there compensation that is not public besides endorsements?

The amount quoted is very small for head coaches.

Kelly gets outside deals his comp is a lot higher then listed...

Weis , wow he made out like a bandit, lol.

Edited by cali_domer
He made TWICE as much as Kelly last year. His buyout last year is absolutely criminal. He swindled ND and KU. Ridiculous.

I highly doubt hat. For most coaches, much of their salary is paid by outside sources. For example, Kelly makes additional money from the outside groups that put on his assorted camps, from Under Armour, from NBC, etc. if Weis got $2-ish million last year from ND, I'd imagine that Kelly got $3-4million combined in payment for coaching ND. ND just had to monetarily guarantee a set salary for Weis in his buyout, while the outside sources didn't.

I highly doubt hat. For most coaches, much of their salary is paid by outside sources. For example, Kelly makes additional money from the outside groups that put on his assorted camps, from Under Armour, from NBC, etc. if Weis got $2-ish million last year from ND, I'd imagine that Kelly got $3-4million combined in payment for coaching ND. ND just had to monetarily guarantee a set salary for Weis in his buyout, while the outside sources didn't.
Per ESPN:

Current Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly received $1,187,272 from Notre Dame during the 2013 reporting period, though that number likely does not match his total earnings. The school notes that "the current head football coach is permitted to receive compensation from external sources with prior written approval from the University." Income from a source such as a shoe company would not have to be reported on the tax forms.

Kelly's base pay was $995,244. He also received $7,200 in "bonus and incentive compensation," $132,473 in "other reportable compensation," $25,500 in "retirement and other deferred compensation," and $26,855 in "nontaxable benefits," all of which accounted for that $1,187,272 figure.

Would you or anyone you know say no to a contract of similar magnitude? Doubt it. Don't blame anyone for ever taking the money however fair to blame those short sighted enough to offer it.

Would you or anyone you know say no to a contract of similar magnitude? Doubt it. Don't blame anyone for ever taking the money however fair to blame those short sighted enough to offer it.
Of course not. It's just assinine that the most prominent program in college football pays more to a losing ex coach than it does to it's current one. Sprinkle in underpaid assistants, and it's completely illogical. The fact that our fanbase clamors for consistent bcs games is just laughable when the administration can't even properly pay the coaching staff.

I lay the blame on White also and others who agreed with his position at the school. It makes me wonder how the hell we got such a great business school when crap like this happens lol.

Can't fault Charlie for anything but what happened on the field.

Per ESPN:

Current Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly received $1,187,272 from Notre Dame during the 2013 reporting period, though that number likely does not match his total earnings. The school notes that "the current head football coach is permitted to receive compensation from external sources with prior written approval from the University." Income from a source such as a shoe company would not have to be reported on the tax forms.

Kelly's base pay was $995,244. He also received $7,200 in "bonus and incentive compensation," $132,473 in "other reportable compensation," $25,500 in "retirement and other deferred compensation," and $26,855 in "nontaxable benefits," all of which accounted for that $1,187,272 figure.

Yes. Thank you. They can only report what ND pays him directly. Not what he makes from hose outside sources.

Otherwise, you really think hat Kelly took a large pay it to come to ND from Cincinnati?