Questions going into fall camp...

Rocketsan

Who will emerge as the starting QB? Kelly's going to ride Golson

Who will emerge as the starting TE? Jones (probably not, but I think he'll push for it)

What do we have on defense? Good against the run, OK against the pass considering we won't be getting pressure on the QB unless we blitz a lot

How lethal will our offense be? Not very, Kelly is calling plays...it seems like we run in slow motion because he's trying to out-smart the DC on the other team.

I've been reading over and over again that Smythe is the clear cut starter at TE, with Latua the clear #2

Now who know what will happen with Jones comes in, but I don't think he unseats Smythe or Latua

Not saying Jones isn't good, it'll just take some time to absorb the playbook. I actually think he's probably the best TE we've recruited since Kyle Rudolph, but when Rudolph came in, we didn't have that much depth at TE so he started right away

That won't be the case this year

Who will emerge as the starting QB?

Who will emerge as the starting TE?

What do we have on defense?

How lethal will our offense be?

Both quarterbacks will emerge into a successful two quarterback system.

Smythe will certainly start at TE but Aliz'e Jones will play as he is just too talented of a receiver.

Defense is in development stage but have guys rising to the top such as Redfield, Shumate. Seeing some depth developing with Watkins, Tillery, Hayes and others. Much better than last year.

Offense could be extremely good and lethal with this offensive line, our quarterbacks and tremendous receiving corp. Expecting great year.

I see a combination of Golson and Zaire, wouldn't be surprised if Golson was used in the Rees role ala 2012 but could easily see him being the guy.

Smythe, will continue the list of tight ends that go pro and is a huge upgrade from Koyack. Jones will play lots and Luatua is used as a fullback.

ATM we have depth and skill, if we can stay healthy is yet to be seen but I think the defense is a massive question mark still (directed at BVG).

As lethal as we have seen under Kelly, the best o-line we have seen with a myriad of skill position stars. 40+ points a game is very possible.

1. Malik. Golson will start vs Texas because BK will want the most experienced in a big opener. Somewhere during game 3 Malik will unseat Golson and become the starter.. because Golson is Golson and he will try to do too much.

2. Smythe will be good. Massive upgrade from that guy who played there last year. Tyler will be necessary for blocking in short yardage situations. I hope they don't burn Jones' redshirt.

3. We will be better on Defense but not great. We will have trouble putting pressure on the opposing QBs because we do not have elite rushers. Tempo offenses will kill us again. The LB core is a big question mark aside from Jaylon. My biggest concern on defense is Vangorder. He is over his skis and I question his scheme.

4. We will score 30+ per game. Should be enough to get us to 10 wins, but can we stop anyone. This is why I hope we will be a run heavy offense.

Thought I would add one Rocket:

5. Special Teams- Will continue to be an area of weakness. New kickers... enough said. Overall, lack of emphasis in this aspect of the game will cost us a minimum of one game this year.

Edited by VCDomer

Who will emerge as the starting QB?: Kelly is too savvy to go out on a limb. he'll play both until one starts to stand out.

Who will emerge as the starting TE?: No one. I don't see TE having much impact this year. Smythe has been showered with superficial praise (What does "he has great ball skills mean"?) but nothing to show for it.

What do we have on defense?:Experience at every line. Speed. Toughness is still a question and we remain without a true dominant rush end.

How lethal will our offense be?: We have 2 of Florida's best running backs and they are being threaten by a guy who's working on his 3rd position in 4 years. It's clear Coach K has not committed to the running game. I think he will try to appease the fanbase and run early but will eventually rely on the pass. Another year of TF and GB showing flashes but never being allowed to open up.

Fuller should be solid, Don't know if he can match last year. I think brent can help, He looked longer--and faster then I thought. Corey is Corey, Will not dominate and need to find his niche. He could be a good redzone, don't need him for all 100 yds. All we are missing is a dominate wideout, but we have enough to where scoring shouldn't keep us up at night. Tadow.

Edited by davislove

1)--golson

2)--smythe

3)--defense will be problematic---good here and there --terrible now and then----we need a lucky mesh of best effort defense against teams that can control our offense and problem defense against teams we score on freely---if the timing goes the other way its going to be tough

4)--offense as always will move the ball and score plenty---redzone success and turnovers will determine if that's good enough to off set the inevitable SKETCHY moments we get on defense....

5)--SPECIAL TEAMS could be critical with field goals good or bad---and return coverage being the difference in at least ONE or TWO games----very unclear what we get there but the track record has been iffy over the years

Overall---10 wins will NOT COME EASILY!!

aloha's

Edited by hawaiiirish

I can't really add much to 1,2 and 4. But I am excited about our new cornerbacks Coach. He was an awesome player who had a couple great coaches. I think he has buy in from his players. Already we have seen and heard that the safeties are much improved and get it now. Can't wait to see how KR looks when he is back. I am really hoping to see coverage sacks this year.

1. Golson and Zaire will both start depending on the matchup. Golson will start more often, but both guys will be utilized in every game, even if not significantly. Kelly won't hesitate to go with the hot hand either.

2. Smythe, Luatua, and Jones will all play decent size roles. Obviously, Luatua more so as a blocker.

3. The defense will be much better than last year because the amount of injuries won't pile up, and guys are a year older.

4. The offense will frustrate at times like usual and we will want to rip Kelly's head off, but in general it will consistently put 30+ points and as long as the defense plays well we will most games if not all.

1. Golson will play lights out and take over as the starting QB.

2. Smythe is the TE.

3. The defense will be better than most expect. There will be improvement across the board.

4. The offense will light it up most nights.

5. Special teams is the big question mark.

Let's get to the questions we all want to really know:

1. How many of our starters will be expelled/suspended right before the season starts. How many games if not season wide.

2. Who?

3. Does Brian Kelly have a bowl of small animals (Maybe hamsters or frogs) that he bites the head off of when he gets mad in his office?

4. What is the W-L record this year before it is ok to cry?

Zaire, unless Kelly is such a spread passing fundamentalist that he cannot recognize the best way for him to win. Everything I saw in the spring told me he recognizes the need to run the QB in a more heavy spread option attack. So, having a 230 pound QB that can hit Fuller in stride 60 yards down the field makes Zaire the winner.

We're gonna run lots of 2-3 TE sets. Smythe and Luatua will be staples of our base run option offense.

Lots of injured guys and weak depth. The most important person is the strength and conditioning coach. I've never seen so many injured players as last year's defense.

Zaire, unless Kelly is such a spread passing fundamentalist that he cannot recognize the best way for him to win. Everything I saw in the spring told me he recognizes the need to run the QB in a more heavy spread option attack. So, having a 230 pound QB that can hit Fuller in stride 60 yards down the field makes Zaire the winner.

We're gonna run lots of 2-3 TE sets. Smythe and Luatua will be staples of our base run option offense.

Lots of injured guys and weak depth. The most important person is the strength and conditioning coach. I've never seen so many injured players as last year's defense.

I agree with this. If I were Golson, I'd be gone come June. He got his degree, broke a few school records, took us on a nice run in 2012. Why stick around for a competition that you might lose, when there are other D1 schools that would love to give you the reigns? Yeah I know what you're gonna say...real men don't shy away from competition but I'm a girl so I guess you can say I don't have the balls for that. But one thing girls are good at is thinking things through (well smart girls like me that graduated from ND). He needs all the reps he can get to show an NFL team what he can do. This probably should go in some other thread but girls like to switch subjects and rant.