Next Phase is Critical

Normally I call this thread the Last Chance to Enhance. This year I see it as a critical phase to get us over the hump. We made it through the spring game and we have taken very few hits on the injury front. All good news, but to build that massive quality depth we need to get back players to 100% status such as Jarron Jones, Schmidt, Grace and Drue Tranquil.

We also anxiously await the return of Kei'Varae Russell, possibly Ishaq Williams and then we have the addition of Avery Sebastian. Last year's implosion was mostly on the defensive side of the ball, this year it should be much better as we get deeper and stronger and more experienced.

I'm loving defensive line with the emergence of players like Hayes and Tillery. Hayes looks so much bigger and stronger and was certainly strong at the point of attack. Tillery is going to be good but he sure could use a summer of weight lifting. Four years ago I came home from the spring game raving about Aaron Lynch, had I been privileged to go to the spring game this year I would not have done the same with Tillery, but I sure do like his potential.

Jhonny Williams ~~ Only saw him briefly but he sure does look bigger and very quick. I think his future as a rush end is very high. Can't wait to see him in a real game.

The Offensive Line ~~ Clearly the story on offense along with the emergence of Prosise. At one point Prosise showed his acceleration and it was eye opening. I wonder why it took 4 years to discover his talents.

Did you see Quenton Nelson?? His arms are absolutely huge. Looking forward to some gaping holes for our running game. Hope we get to keep him for 4 years. This is one great player.

Was listening to Redfield talking about the return of Jarron Jones and Russell. He says they add so much to our leadership as they keep thing Roudy and Uptempo. The defensive line should be in great hands and in fact, the entire defense should take a huge step up. Absolutely no reason to play the freshmen coming in other than Tillery. It appears to me that the defensive line, though well behind the offensive line, is about to take it to another level and should continue to advance for even a couple more years. Kelly is doing a great job at the line of scrimmage.

The second team offensive line is impressive and powerful.

I guess they are calling the quarterback battle a draw. I certainly am in Malik's camp. The biggest difference to me is the ability of Malik and the read option. I just feel more comfortable with him running the ball. That deep ball to Fuller was am eye opener for those that say he can't hit the deep ball. That ball was absolutely perfect.

I loved the tackle eligible play. I had been calling for it only to McGlinchey. I still feel that will come some day but I loved Stanley's athleticism and I hope we use that play in a real game. There a numerous ways to run a tackle eligible and it is pretty much impossible to stop.

Two players that really caught my attention with their pure speed were Redfield and Prosise. You just know that Redfield is going to make a couple of huge plays this year with the ball in his hands. Safety play is good and getting better.

Very happy with the results of the spring game. Love the toughness of this team and its ability to run the ball. Can't wait to slap the Longhorns.

I would agree that the idea of a power read option team with Zaire at QB is enticing. When you look at what guys like Newton and Tebow could do, if Zaire could be 60% of that, things would be going pretty great.

At the same time, can you count on him to be consistent? Yes, that was an amazing throw to Fuller, but how often can he do that? I would contend that what he adds in the run game might negate what he lacks in the pass game, but over a full season, we just don't know.

At the same time, we don't know what we will get out of Golson. Heisman contender or turnover machine?

So while it is a good problem to have to choose between two very high ceilings, I think I'd rather choose the guy with the highest floor, I just don't know who that is.

I would agree that the idea of a power read option team with Zaire at QB is enticing. When you look at what guys like Newton and Tebow could do, if Zaire could be 60% of that, things would be going pretty great.

At the same time, can you count on him to be consistent? Yes, that was an amazing throw to Fuller, but how often can he do that? I would contend that what he adds in the run game might negate what he lacks in the pass game, but over a full season, we just don't know.

At the same time, we don't know what we will get out of Golson. Heisman contender or turnover machine?

So while it is a good problem to have to choose between two very high ceilings, I think I'd rather choose the guy with the highest floor, I just don't know who that is.

This certainly makes a lot of sense to me, but based on what we have seen from both candidates I just have more trust in Malik. Basically, we haven't seen him fail like we have seen Golson. We have been told that he is basically smarter and is constantly studying the films. He just doesn't turn the ball over either, but the bottom line is that when he runs the ball you just can't stop him, and he loves to run the ball. Maybe the two quarterback system is the answer if Kelly can pull it off. It looks like Golson is going to run more often and that is a good thing. This offense should just keep getting better as the season evolves and I don't see the implosion coming that killed us last year.

I like the depth at both offensive and defensive lines. Quite possibly, this is the deepest I have witnessed along both lines since Lou Holtz was asked to leave. When we win most, if not ALL of our games in 2015, we can attribute our team's success to Kelly and Co. Recruiting work!

always a lot of things to dissect and reasons to be optimistic every season

having said that, another 8-5 letdown would be disastrous and very telling

If we go 8-5 this year I will implode and probably disappear for a long time. Yes, injuries absolutely crippled us last year but I think we are much deeper this year in both lines of scrimmage as O'Gianino points out. This is why I think these 3 summer months are so critical to further develop that depth by enhancing the younger players and getting the older guys healthy. Jarron Jones is the most critical player on the roster right now in my opinion. I don't see Tillery having ascended to that form of high level play just yet, but I do like that he has emerged and Jay Hayes is a much different player than last year.

The offense could have salvaged several games last year. It's not all on the defense. This year presents the best combination of a very good offense and a potentially good defense to run the table. The Texas game is going to tell us a lot. My hope is to get everyone excited again by running the table in the regular season. I want to see how the voters treat us when it comes time for the playoffs.

If we go 8-5 this year I will implode and probably disappear for a long time. Yes, injuries absolutely crippled us last year but I think we are much deeper this year in both lines of scrimmage as O'Gianino points out. This is why I think these 3 summer months are so critical to further develop that depth by enhancing the younger players and getting the older guys healthy. Jarron Jones is the most critical player on the roster right now in my opinion. I don't see Tillery having ascended to that form of high level play just yet, but I do like that he has emerged and Jay Hayes is a much different player than last year.

The offense could have salvaged several games last year. It's not all on the defense. This year presents the best combination of a very good offense and a potentially good defense to run the table. The Texas game is going to tell us a lot. My hope is to get everyone excited again by running the table in the regular season. I want to see how the voters treat us when it comes time for the playoffs.

If ND goes 8-5 and the staff isn't fired, that will state loud and clear ND football isn't about winning anymore.

Ill start rooting for another team.

yeah another 8-5 season

and that missing emotional thread would get interesting

it'd be obvious that it'd be more and more difficult to believe that BK can get the job done and that 2012 was an exception to the rule, an aberration, a one year wonder type of season, not what could be expected year in and year out.

I am not saying that we should be a full ACC member but as it is, we play for a NC or nothing.

A conference championship is a big deal for most schools.

For heavens sake. We are going to play 6 ACC teams anyway. Why not add another one or two and be eligible for the ACC crown?? Wouldn't that add to our expectations to play for a crown?? Look what it has done for the basketball team. Certainly helps with recruiting.

For heavens sake. We are going to play 6 ACC teams anyway. Why not add another one or two and be eligible for the ACC crown?? Wouldn't that add to our expectations to play for a crown?? Look what it has done for the basketball team. Certainly helps with recruiting.

I didn`t say that we should or shouldn`t join the ACC because I didn`t want to start an argument.

I really don`t have an opinion about joining the ACC but playing for a Conference Championship is fun to watch.

I didn`t say that we should or shouldn`t join the ACC because I didn`t want to start an argument.

I really don`t have an opinion about joining the ACC but playing for a Conference Championship is fun to watch.

We had a thread on that. I think most of us would love to join the conference in football too. I mean we are sitting at home while others are playing, getting the exposure for their recruits and bringing home hardware that we are not eligible for. I think we are seriously missing the boat.

We had a thread on that. I think most of us would love to join the conference in football too. I mean we are sitting at home while others are playing, getting the exposure for their recruits and bringing home hardware that we are not eligible for. I think we are seriously missing the boat.

I would argue that MOST do not wish to see ND join a conference unless absolutely necessary for playoff consideration. It is our Independence which has been the central hallmark to the unique status of ND in college football. Swarbrick has done an unbelievable job keeping us at the table but if money keeps influencing the playoffs and conference affiliation, ND will ultimately be faced with the join or be out of consideration dilemma and then and only then will ND become a full fledge member of the ACC. *Hypothetically* I could see your desire to be in a conference play out if ND were to go 12-0, strength of schedule equal to or better than the other 4 teams which could be ahead of us in the Committee rankings and losing a spot due to the others having a 13th game advantage. Then I could see the Trustees begin to push Swarbrick in the direction of conference affiliation . With our schedule, a 12-0 ND team should be ahead of most 12-1 Conference Champs.

There is a story on NdNation (yesterday) stating that we could have a problem making the playoffs since we don't play the 13th game. The story gave reference to TCU and Baylor which were eliminated when they didn't have a conference championship. I would like to point out, that when we lost to FSU we dropped like a rock even though it was clear we were the better team. Basically, a one loss Notre Dame team will not make it to the play offs like Ohio State did. For this reason alone I would join a conference, but I also think it is critical to play for the conference crown. That would add tremendously to the interest and fan support. The conference crowns in basketball are huge in the development of those programs.

it'll take getting left out, like Baylor and TCU

for ND to take a hard look in the mirror and reconsider their position

Exactly however at least in the case of Baylor, their out of conference strength of schedule was a joke. Not sure of TCU's but in a down year for the Big12, they only have to look themselves in the mirror to see why they were on the outside looking in. I guess my point is with a 12-0 ND with present strength of schedule, it would be competitive with a Conference Champ with a 12-1 record. This is all probably a moot point tho in the fact the momentum with TV money driving the issues, it will only be a matter of time for ND to be pushed into joining the ACC. While not opposed if it means title consideration, I for one have always enjoyed our Independent status. It's the core reason ND owns claim to being unique in the College Football landscape.

it'll take getting left out, like Baylor and TCU

for ND to take a hard look in the mirror and reconsider their position

By the time that would happen the playoff will already be up to 8 teams. I wish it would possibly happen this year but our schedule is so tough I see 2 losses atleast.