The Redshirts Are Coming

Corey Holmes....6' 190 lbs extremely gifted 4 star receiver being added to the already sick and deepest receiving core in memory (see thread). I can't say enough about the gluttony of talent at the receiver position. Couple that with the haul coming in next year and this position is, well, it's the sickest and deepest ever!!!

Brent, maybe he didn't redshirt. I still don't know. I certainly never saw him on offense and I don't really remember him on defense. Regardless, he is my choice to move to safety. This is a thick bodied exceptional athlete with good speed and ball skills. I can't wait until spring to not only get the updated weights but to see the position changes. This one only makes sense to me. How many stud receivers do we need anyway???

Of these three redshirt players you have mentioned, OklahomaIrish, I believe Jhonny Williams will have the biggest impact on the defense this season. Call it a gut feeling if you will, but I like his potential to be a great player in BVG's defensive scheme.

We had the #83 ranked Scoring Defense last year and I'm supposed to be optimistic about two three star d-line projects who couldn't get on the field? Sorry, not buying it.

We were depleted last year Frankus. Don't you remember all the injuries to a defense that had to play 11 freshmen. What we are excited about is the future defense, not the one last year that had no depth. These redshirts aren't being picked to be the starters. They are depth and when you see them run and track their growth there is plenty of reason to be excited. We need some pressure off the edge and Jhonny Williams will get bigger then is Okwara and Trumbetti and he is already faster and more athletic.

I'll bet you your paycheck against mine that we sure as heck don't finish #83 in the country next year in scoring defense.

I'm supposed to be optimistic about two three star d-line projects who couldn't get on the field?

Against hurry-up offenses the entire ND defense had trouble getting on the field. 1st team defensive player or quality backup won't matter if BVG can't get it together better than that.

Against hurry-up offenses the entire ND defense had trouble getting on the field. 1st team defensive player or quality backup won't matter if BVG can't get it together better than that.

Good point, but this was such an unusual year and absolutely no experience. Totally expect better results next year and that includes BVG and our substituting. Its hard to be consistent when you keep starting from scratch. Hope they play some hurry up in the spring game.

Good point, but this was such an unusual year and absolutely no experience. Totally expect better results next year and that includes BVG and our substituting. Its hard to be consistent when you keep starting from scratch. Hope they play some hurry up in the spring game.
If we stay healthy on defense and get pressure from the edge no doubt this defense will be better. Losing Schmidt killed not only the defense last year but the entire season. I am very hopeful he makes a 100% recovery. Believe he has 3 months left.
Read on BlueandGoldIllustrated that Barratti is full go for spring practice. Suddenly safety doesn't look so short handed. Now will those shoulders hold up? We should know after spring practice. I wish him well.

I honestly can't think of a player that I've wanted to succeed more than Barratti. This kid has shown ridiculous heart just to get back to the point that we're talking about him possibly playing

I'm going to add two players to this list because I believe they were redshirted even though they are currently listed as sophomores. These two players are suddenly intriguing. Instead of being totally forgotten they are now in the mix for playing time. who are they?? Doug Randolph and Michael Deeb.

These guys should both be about 6' 2'' and 265 in the spring because they are transitioning from linebacker to defensive end. These guys have a serious chance to do some damage. Deeb is an incredible work out warrior and Randolph is a very good athlete. I have often wondered why he hasn't played. Is it mental??? Because I sure don't think it is physical. We've seen what happens when we lose our mental edge (Joe Schmidt).

Defensive end doesn't pose the mental difficulties we have seen at the Mike and Will. I can't wait to get a look at these guys coming off the edge in the spring game. Again, the numbers are really huge on the D line. The competition must be outstanding in the weight room with guys like Deeb competing.

Bottom line. The list of redshirts can make this team a lot stronger and certainly deeper than the 2014 version. This bodes well for 2015 and even beyond. Recruiting can be very selective along the defensive line. We don't need numbers. We won't settle for anything less than big time 4/5 star recruits.

Read on BlueandGoldIllustrated that Barratti is full go for spring practice. Suddenly safety doesn't look so short handed. Now will those shoulders hold up? We should know after spring practice. I wish him well.

Hope he's not Collinsworth 2.0...

Well, of course the jury is still out but my only memories of him were from high school and he was a running quarterback. He took a lot of hits and kept on ticking. I also remember the interception he had against Michigan. Wouldn't it be great if he stayed healthy and was a solid contributor? I would NOT play him on special teams. Do not risk injury other than at safety.

Think back to the rice game with the backups in.. It was just like collinsworth vs asu in 2013.

Keep in mind the rice backups are a lot worse as he also looked a lot slower than Austin.

I expect the two deep to be shumate, red field, Farley and Sebastian. I think he'd be better off transferring and probably won't make an impact here. I also think myKelti Williams will get in before he does.

Edited by ndomer4
  • 4 weeks later...

Johnathan Bonner!!! I really like how this redshirt is coming on. Kelly said he is making a move in the last three days. His vertical leap is excellent and his strength is 'off the charts' according to Kelly. Kelly said what held him back last year was his understanding of his role and assignments. Now he has made his move mentally and he is a physical stud. So happy we preserved that year of eligibility.

With the emergence of Tillery and now Bonner I'm feeling really confident about our defensive line. Apparently Rochell is much quicker and stronger. Boy, what a difference a year can make.

Johnathan Bonner!!! I really like how this redshirt is coming on. Kelly said he is making a move in the last three days. His vertical leap is excellent and his strength is 'off the charts' according to Kelly. Kelly said what held him back last year was his understanding of his role and assignments. Now he has made his move mentally and he is a physical stud. So happy we preserved that year of eligibility.

With the emergence of Tillery and now Bonner I'm feeling really confident about our defensive line. Apparently Rochell is much quicker and stronger. Boy, what a difference a year can make.[/QUOTE]

With Tillery, I think we might have just ran into another Tuitt. I know I know High Praise.

But Remember Lemming wanted Tuitt to play Left tackle so I'm not NUTS.

Bonners getting bigger with Heavy Hands Like Rochell love it

Just listened to Mike Frank on Power Hour and I think this is some really good info. First, redshirt Quenton Nelson absolutely hammered Jerry Tillery. I have been really excited about him getting into the starting rotation and this kid is a dominating beast that can open huge holes by driving his man off the line. Four years of eligibility. Great to hear. Nothing against Tillery either as he continues to impress big time.

Also Nick Watkins is running with the ones and looking very impressive and taking to Todd Lyght's instructions. [/b][/b]

I also have to report that Frank thinks Kelly was blowing smoke about Bonner. He's a good player but not showing anything special at this time. Frank said the same thing about Bars. If he's the greatest offensive lineman in the past 25 years why can't he get a starting position.

I think the truth is that these guys show Kelly some big upside but they just haven't arrived. Nelson is the real deal and maybe Nick Watkins is too. We certainly will need him next year. Great news on the development front.

Edited by OklahomaIrish

I can't for the life of me remember if Durham Smythe redshirted. What I heard from Mike Frank is that he looks a lot more like the tight ends we are accustomed to. Big, fast and very good hands. Running good routes. Again, it looks like the stars are aligning with Smythe and then Aliz'e Jones added to the mix at tight end. Practically every position group is taking a big step up.